Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Access problems in sharing

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:23:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have a new computer X trying to access shared drives on Y. When I share
the "shared documents" folder from Y, I can mount it on X and access the
docs. When I share any other folder from Y, it appears to mount OK on X but
I cannot access the contents - it says access denied. I assume this is a
permissions issue on Y. I looked in the KB 810881 and found the article that
says turn off "Use simple file sharing". The problem is there is no such
check box under Advanced options.

So, two questions:
1) Is the lack of the Use simple file sharing box" because I am on XP home
and not XP prof?
2) What can I do to make the folder contents accessible over the share? I
really do not want to have to copy or move everything to "Shared Docs".

Thanks
September 18, 2005 1:31:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi, you can turn off simple file sharing by going to Windows Explorer |
Tools | Folder Options, then selecting the View tab and down at the bottom
is a checkbox "Use simple file sharing". Uncheck this and you will have the
Win2K sharing model with permissions.

TonyG
(also looking for solutions to problems)

"rcp2" <rcp2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F2AE2497-A671-411A-8396-AE7C9A9D4000@microsoft.com...
>I have a new computer X trying to access shared drives on Y. When I share
> the "shared documents" folder from Y, I can mount it on X and access the
> docs. When I share any other folder from Y, it appears to mount OK on X
> but
> I cannot access the contents - it says access denied. I assume this is a
> permissions issue on Y. I looked in the KB 810881 and found the article
> that
> says turn off "Use simple file sharing". The problem is there is no such
> check box under Advanced options.
>
> So, two questions:
> 1) Is the lack of the Use simple file sharing box" because I am on XP home
> and not XP prof?
> 2) What can I do to make the folder contents accessible over the share?
> I
> really do not want to have to copy or move everything to "Shared Docs".
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:21:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

There is no "Use simple file sharing" checkbox where you said it is or where
the KB article says it is. Is that a difference between home and
professional XP? Which are you using?

Thanks


"TonyG" wrote:

> Hi, you can turn off simple file sharing by going to Windows Explorer |
> Tools | Folder Options, then selecting the View tab and down at the bottom
> is a checkbox "Use simple file sharing". Uncheck this and you will have the
> Win2K sharing model with permissions.
>
> TonyG
> (also looking for solutions to problems)
>
> "rcp2" <rcp2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F2AE2497-A671-411A-8396-AE7C9A9D4000@microsoft.com...
> >I have a new computer X trying to access shared drives on Y. When I share
> > the "shared documents" folder from Y, I can mount it on X and access the
> > docs. When I share any other folder from Y, it appears to mount OK on X
> > but
> > I cannot access the contents - it says access denied. I assume this is a
> > permissions issue on Y. I looked in the KB 810881 and found the article
> > that
> > says turn off "Use simple file sharing". The problem is there is no such
> > check box under Advanced options.
> >
> > So, two questions:
> > 1) Is the lack of the Use simple file sharing box" because I am on XP home
> > and not XP prof?
> > 2) What can I do to make the folder contents accessible over the share?
> > I
> > really do not want to have to copy or move everything to "Shared Docs".
> >
> > Thanks
>
>
>
Related resources
September 18, 2005 4:10:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

rcp2 wrote:

> There is no "Use simple file sharing" checkbox where you said it is or
> where
> the KB article says it is. Is that a difference between home and
> professional XP? Which are you using?

(snippage)

>> > So, two questions:
>> > 1) Is the lack of the Use simple file sharing box" because I am on
>> > XP home and not XP prof?
>> > 2) What can I do to make the folder contents accessible over the
>> > share? I
>> > really do not want to have to copy or move everything to "Shared
>> > Docs".

Windows XP Home can only use "simple sharing". The operating system will
not allow you to share users' home directories (My Documents) or
Program Files, although it will allow you to share individual
directories in those folders.

I'm afraid you will need to either create a share at the root of the
hard drive or use the Shared Documents folder. Upgrade to XP Pro if
having the ability to set fine-grained permissions is important to you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:51:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks for the update. I was afraid of that. Just so I am clear, my choices
are:

1) Buy professional for the system doing the sharing. (Or do I have to buy
it for both?)
2) Use the shared docs directory.
3) Share everything from C:\ on down

Is that it?

I ask becasue in your reply you said "although it will allow you to share
individual
directories in those folders." I tried sharing a directory temp under "My
Documents" and got the same access permissions problem. Is there something
special I have to do when creating such a subdirectory to make it shareable
or did I misunderstand?

Thanks for your help.


"Malke" wrote:

> rcp2 wrote:
>
> > There is no "Use simple file sharing" checkbox where you said it is or
> > where
> > the KB article says it is. Is that a difference between home and
> > professional XP? Which are you using?
>
> (snippage)
>
> >> > So, two questions:
> >> > 1) Is the lack of the Use simple file sharing box" because I am on
> >> > XP home and not XP prof?
> >> > 2) What can I do to make the folder contents accessible over the
> >> > share? I
> >> > really do not want to have to copy or move everything to "Shared
> >> > Docs".
>
> Windows XP Home can only use "simple sharing". The operating system will
> not allow you to share users' home directories (My Documents) or
> Program Files, although it will allow you to share individual
> directories in those folders.
>
> I'm afraid you will need to either create a share at the root of the
> hard drive or use the Shared Documents folder. Upgrade to XP Pro if
> having the ability to set fine-grained permissions is important to you.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
>
!