XP Hangs on boot w/new USB external drive

Can anyone help? I have just purchased a ner western digital USB external
HDD and cannot start up when it is connected. I am running XP and it hangs
on boot when the new drive is pluged/in.
8 answers Last reply
More about hangs boot external drive

    One idea, that may be wrong, is that your bios is set to boot from usb
    external device and is just choking when it tries to boot from the
    non-bootable drive. Thats the direction I would head first. Just make sure
    your bios settings say to boot from your XP drive and nothing else, that
    will eliminate the boot drive mix-up possibility.

    --dan

    --Dan

    "guysullivan" <guysullivan@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help? I have just purchased a ner western digital USB external
    > HDD and cannot start up when it is connected. I am running XP and it hangs
    > on boot when the new drive is pluged/in.

    Thanks Dan, but I have tried every boot sequence I can think of. My BIOS
    screen is pretty simple. I did try just the main HDD with all others
    disabled, still no luck. The external hard drive works if you plug it in
    after start up. The problem I am having is: I have Ghost 2003 and to
    complete a back-up it needs to restart. Which it won't do with the USB
    external drive connected. I can still use the USB drive but hate to waste
    the 49 bucks for the microsoft ghost 2003 program...any other ideas out
    there...thanks...-GS-

    Can you create and try to use DOS boot disk with USB support from Ghost
    Wizard?

    > Thanks Dan, but I have tried every boot sequence I can think of. My BIOS
    > screen is pretty simple. I did try just the main HDD with all others
    > disabled, still no luck. The external hard drive works if you plug it in
    > after start up. The problem I am having is: I have Ghost 2003 and to
    > complete a back-up it needs to restart. Which it won't do with the USB
    > external drive connected. I can still use the USB drive but hate to waste
    > the 49 bucks for the microsoft ghost 2003 program...any other ideas out
    > there...thanks...-GS-

    Could it be that Ghost is the problem ?

    "guysullivan" <guysullivan@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Dan, but I have tried every boot sequence I can think of. My BIOS
    > screen is pretty simple. I did try just the main HDD with all others
    > disabled, still no luck. The external hard drive works if you plug it in
    > after start up. The problem I am having is: I have Ghost 2003 and to
    > complete a back-up it needs to restart. Which it won't do with the USB
    > external drive connected. I can still use the USB drive but hate to waste
    > the 49 bucks for the microsoft ghost 2003 program...any other ideas out
    > there...thanks...-GS-

    No it's not ghost as it hangs with out using ghost. Unless there's a way to
    backup or clone without having to restart.

    I'll give it a try tomorrow, will this tell me something?
  7. Hi, I'm actually having the same problem of XP hanging up whenever I try to boot up with my USB external HDD. In fact, if I install the external drive each time I boot up then it shows up fine but some times I have trouble accessing the drive and I can't figure out why... plus it's a bit of a hassle to install every time esp since I have multiple users on this pc (some without admin rights). Can someone help me plz? URGENTLY!!!
  8. I had the same problem.

    I simply went into the BIOS menu when the PC first loaded and disabled USB 2.0 Legacy BIOS. The PC now loads with the external hard drive connected via the USB port.

    Good luck.

USB Windows XP Storage