Half Life Options

Last response: in Video Games
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2005 2:54:17 PM

Hi

I messed up when i setup half life 1 through steam. I set the graphics,
accidentally, to way outside what my monitor can display so know when i try
to run hl 1, my monitor tells me signal out of range and the screen goes
blank. I then have to close hl 1 manually. Is there a way to adjust the
display properties without starting the game?

Cheers

Skimmer

More about : half life options

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2005 3:25:19 PM

* Skimmer wrote:
> I messed up when i setup half life 1 through steam. I set the graphics,
> accidentally, to way outside what my monitor can display so know when i try
> to run hl 1, my monitor tells me signal out of range and the screen goes
> blank. I then have to close hl 1 manually. Is there a way to adjust the
> display properties without starting the game?

I think there is - if you don't already have a shortcut to run the game,
right click on the game's icon in steam's 'play games' window, and
select 'create desktop shortcut'.

Now right click on the desktop icon, select 'properties', and add
'-w 800' or whatever to the end of the commandline in 'target'. Like
this :

"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 10 -w 800

The 800 gives 800x640 resolution.
-w 1024 gives 1024x768 and so on.
-w 640 ....

This should be enough to get you where you want to be.

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : usenet@piggo.com

Thanks for the quick response butI don't think my original post was very
clear. Is there any way to access the options 'pop up' that appears on first
running the game,i think my mistake was to select 'd3d' when really i ought
to have selected 'open gl'. If i could only get access to that options
screen as its affecting most of the other steam titles.

Cheers

Skimmer

"Troy Piggins" <usenet@piggo.com> wrote in message
>* Skimmer wrote:
>> I messed up when i setup half life 1 through steam. I set the graphics,
>> accidentally, to way outside what my monitor can display so know when i
>> try
>> to run hl 1, my monitor tells me signal out of range and the screen goes
>> blank. I then have to close hl 1 manually. Is there a way to adjust the
>> display properties without starting the game?
>
> I think there is - if you don't already have a shortcut to run the game,
> right click on the game's icon in steam's 'play games' window, and
> select 'create desktop shortcut'.
>
> Now right click on the desktop icon, select 'properties', and add
> '-w 800' or whatever to the end of the commandline in 'target'. Like
> this :
>
> "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 10 -w 800
>
> The 800 gives 800x640 resolution.
> -w 1024 gives 1024x768 and so on.
> -w 640 ....
>
> This should be enough to get you where you want to be.
>
> --
> T R O Y P I G G I N S
> e : usenet@piggo.com
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2005 10:23:49 PM

What Troy gave you was the way to get the resolution back to something
you can use. That options screen displays in the game resolution, if
that res is a problem, no options screen. The command line method will
allow you to get TO that options screen then set the res and render
method to your liking. Then you exit the game (saves the settings) and
start it again.
McG.

"Skimmer" <skinner12@peeblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thanks for the quick response butI don't think my original post was
> very clear. Is there any way to access the options 'pop up' that
> appears on first running the game,i think my mistake was to select
> 'd3d' when really i ought to have selected 'open gl'. If i could
> only get access to that options screen as its affecting most of the
> other steam titles.
> Cheers
>
> Skimmer
>
> "Troy Piggins" <usenet@piggo.com> wrote in message
>> * Skimmer wrote:
>>> I messed up when i setup half life 1 through steam. I set the
>>> graphics, accidentally, to way outside what my monitor can display
>>> so know when i try
>>> to run hl 1, my monitor tells me signal out of range and the screen
>>> goes blank. I then have to close hl 1 manually. Is there a way to
>>> adjust the display properties without starting the game?
>>
>> I think there is - if you don't already have a shortcut to run the
>> game, right click on the game's icon in steam's 'play games' window,
>> and select 'create desktop shortcut'.
>>
>> Now right click on the desktop icon, select 'properties', and add
>> '-w 800' or whatever to the end of the commandline in 'target'. Like
>> this :
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 10 -w 800
>>
>> The 800 gives 800x640 resolution.
>> -w 1024 gives 1024x768 and so on.
>> -w 640 ....
>>
>> This should be enough to get you where you want to be.
>>
>> --
>> T R O Y P I G G I N S
>> e : usenet@piggo.com
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2005 1:13:15 AM

* Skimmer wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response butI don't think my original post was very
> clear. Is there any way to access the options 'pop up' that appears on first
> running the game,i think my mistake was to select 'd3d' when really i ought
> to have selected 'open gl'. If i could only get access to that options
> screen as its affecting most of the other steam titles.

Yeah, what McGrandpa said. Did you try what I said, then go through the
options to change what settings you need? Even if you have d3d set,
with lower res you should be able to get to the options menu.

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : usenet@piggo.com

I've tried adjusting the command line as you suggested but still no joy, i'm
going to install half life from cd and try and adjust the settings from
there and hopefull steam will pick up on this when it migrates the files
over.

>* Skimmer wrote:
>> Thanks for the quick response butI don't think my original post was very
>> clear. Is there any way to access the options 'pop up' that appears on
>> first
>> running the game,i think my mistake was to select 'd3d' when really i
>> ought
>> to have selected 'open gl'. If i could only get access to that options
>> screen as its affecting most of the other steam titles.
>
> Yeah, what McGrandpa said. Did you try what I said, then go through the
> options to change what settings you need? Even if you have d3d set,
> with lower res you should be able to get to the options menu.
>
> --
> T R O Y P I G G I N S
> e : usenet@piggo.com
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 8, 2005 12:24:59 AM

* Skimmer wrote:
> I've tried adjusting the command line as you suggested but still no joy, i'm
> going to install half life from cd and try and adjust the settings from
> there and hopefull steam will pick up on this when it migrates the files
> over.

Try adding -opengl to the end of that commandline too. Forgot to
mention that one.

If that's not working, something else may be wrong with your actual
computer setup. Got latest video drivers? DirectX latest? What's your
system?

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : usenet@piggo.com

I managed to do an install from the disk and it plays absolutely fine. I
changed the options to what i should have done in the first place. But i
still get the same message under steam. I guess if i am going to play it
then i won't be through steam! Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

!