Timing kids computer access

Hi
What is the best way for me to time my kids' access to the computer and have
it close down when the time is up?
--
Terry
7 answers Last reply

    Terry,
    I hv the same problem,Please share.

    Robert Moir wrote:
    > terryt wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>What is the best way for me to time my kids' access to the computer
    >>and have it close down when the time is up?
    >

    > Nothing foolproof on the computer side. Given the fact that a 15 yr old has
    > posted the best solution so far, I would suggest that maybe the fact that
    > this isn't a technical problem suggests that a technical solution might not
    > be ideal.
    >
    > Put the computer in a "public" area of your house instead of a personal
    > area, and go with the parental supervision thing to keep control of the
    > computer.

    If you are using a home netwrok connected through a router, the router
    (at least Linksys for example) can be configured to allow specific
    computers to connect only during specified hours. This is done via the
    MAC address.

    terryt wrote:
    > Hi
    > What is the best way for me to time my kids' access to the computer and have
    > it close down when the time is up?

    For such a requirement, you may find it easier to invest in a
    3rd-party solution, such as NetNanny or CyberPatrol. WinXP has no such
    tool built-in.

    You need to be aware, however, that *NO* technical or software
    solution is fool-proof, and _none_ can ever adequately take the place
    of live parental supervision. If you cannot trust your children to
    safely use the computer without supervision, you may have to consider
    limiting their use of it, by means of a BIOS password.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Robert Moir wrote:
    > WEN wrote:
    >

    >>If you are using a home netwrok connected through a router, the router
    >>(at least Linksys for example) can be configured to allow specific
    >>computers to connect only during specified hours. This is done via the
    >>MAC address.
    >

    > I'm the happy owner of a linksys router myself. That feature isn't
    > universal, and even when present can be beaten. I stand by what I said.

    Good for you, Robert!

    Stopwatch and a finger on the power button?

    Just messing with you, however if you want them off at a specific time, you
    could write a batch file script and use Scheduling Tasks (control panel) to
    run it at a specified time

    In the .bat file you would write

    shutdown -s (maybe include -t 60 as well to give them 60 seconds to prepare
    before it shuts down)

    (To write a .bat file, open notepad type in what i said, click save, and
    instead of typing just the file name, type the filename as well as .bat on
    the end, also don't forget to change the type from text (.txt) to all files
    (*.*) and then click save)

    Hope all works out for ya,

    (by the way, i'm only 15 :P )

    Jayso

    Please reply to this email so I know if i'm right :)

    Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
    Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish
    jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)

    "terryt" <terryt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > What is the best way for me to time my kids' access to the computer and
    > have
    > it close down when the time is up?
    > --
    > Terry

    OOOHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHH

    Na, don't be too ashamed, i've answered lots of questions on these forums

    By the Way, it's only 4 days (from 19/9) till i'm 16 :P

    "Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > terryt wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> What is the best way for me to time my kids' access to the computer
    >> and have it close down when the time is up?
    >
    > Nothing foolproof on the computer side. Given the fact that a 15 yr old
    > has posted the best solution so far, I would suggest that maybe the fact
    > that this isn't a technical problem suggests that a technical solution
    > might not be ideal.
    >
    > Put the computer in a "public" area of your house instead of a personal
    > area, and go with the parental supervision thing to keep control of the
    > computer.

    > Rob Moir
    > Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    > Virtual PC 2004 FAQ -
    > http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    > Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

    Hi,
    I have just installed a trial of CyberPatrol 7.5 and to date I am very happy
    with it.

    This programme allows you to set a daily and weekly use allowance for each
    user on XP (I assume all supported versions of windows will be the same),
    and uses a profile for each computer user which is automatically activated
    when the user logs on.

    CyberPatrol also allows you to limit or allow each user access to web sites
    you specify.

    I recommend anyone, with young children through to teens who are allowed
    access the internet, install the trial of Cyber Patrol and evaluate it.

    Other programs I looked at included the following from a Gov site detailing
    filtering software
    BAIR Filtering System - http://www.exotrope.com

    CSM Proxy Server - http://www.csm.co.at/

    Cyber Patrol - http://www.cyberpatrol.com

    Cyber Sentinel - http://www.securitysoft.com/

    Eyeguard - http://www.eye-t.com.au/

    Genesis - http://www.southern-software.com

    Ifilter - http://www.iseek.com.au

    Internet Sheriff - http://www.telnetmedia.com

    I-Gear - http://www.symatec.com/urlabs/public/index.html

    KAhooTz - http://www.kahootz.com.au

    Kidz.Net - http://www.kidz.net.au

    Net Nanny - http://www.netnanny.com/

    Surfwatch - http://www.surfwatch.com

    Too c.o.o.l - http://www.just2cool.com

    Websense - http://www.websense.com

    Hope this helps.
    APR

    "terryt" <terryt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > What is the best way for me to time my kids' access to the computer and
    > have
    > it close down when the time is up?
    > --
    > Terry