IRQ sharing, conflict, frozen after POST, SIL3112 SATA

Hi,

I have added a brand new SATA controler (based on sil 3112 chip) to my
mainboard (NF7S). FYI, NF7S has already built in sata support by onboard sil
3112. Each controller now has 2 SATA disks.

After post, onboard sil3112 displays 2 disks, and right after that add-on
board with sil3112 displays also 2 disks. Up to now everything is just
perfect.

Now comes the list of devices and interrupts which shows onboard sil3112 and
addon sill3112 uses the same interrupt 11.

After that windows does not start any more, all is frozen. There is even no
message can't find NTLDR!

If I move addon board to another PCI slot, system starts in 640x480
resolution and addon board shares the interrupt with agp video adapter.

If I move, yet, one more time, addon board to another PCI slot, system does
start fine, and addon sil3112 now uses irq5 which is used by SMBus.

1) What is wrong that my addon sil shares interrupt with AGP or onboard sil
?

2) Is every PCI slot assigned to only one interrupt ?

petar@seahost.info

THANKS !

PS: My system works, but I need to know what was the cause ?!?!

"Petar Banicevic" <petar@seahost.info> wrote in message

> I have added a brand new SATA controler (based on sil 3112 chip) to my
> mainboard (NF7S). FYI, NF7S has already built in sata support by onboard sil
> 3112. Each controller now has 2 SATA disks.
>
> After post, onboard sil3112 displays 2 disks, and right after that add-on
> board with sil3112 displays also 2 disks. Up to now everything is just
> perfect.
>
> Now comes the list of devices and interrupts which shows onboard sil3112 and
> addon sill3112 uses the same interrupt 11.
>
> After that windows does not start any more, all is frozen. There is even no
> message can't find NTLDR!

The two BIOSes grab the same IRQ, only one gets it. Poor programming.

> If I move addon board to another PCI slot, system starts in 640x480
> resolution and addon board shares the interrupt with agp video adapter.

Your video card or driver is broken. PCI interrupt sharing is required in
Windows.

> If I move, yet, one more time, addon board to another PCI slot, system does
> start fine, and addon sil3112 now uses irq5 which is used by SMBus.

The SMB and SiI drivers properly share PCI interrupts.

> 1) What is wrong that my addon sil shares interrupt with AGP or onboard sil
> ?
>
> 2) Is every PCI slot assigned to only one interrupt ?

In real mode, there are 4 PCI interrupts, so most slots share them. There is
usually one slot not shared.

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote in message news:c594rv02li4@enews3.newsguy.com
> "Petar Banicevic" <petar@seahost.info> wrote in message news:c58lvq$qdt$1@bagan.srce.hr...
> >
> > I have added a brand new SATA controler (based on sil 3112 chip) to my
> > mainboard (NF7S). FYI, NF7S has already built in sata support by onboard sil
> > 3112. Each controller now has 2 SATA disks.
> >
> > After post, onboard sil3112 displays 2 disks, and right after that add-on
> > board with sil3112 displays also 2 disks. Up to now everything is just perfect.
> >
> > Now comes the list of devices and interrupts which shows onboard sil3112 and
> > add-on sill3112 uses the same interrupt 11.
> >
> > After that windows does not start any more, all is frozen. There is even no
> > message can't find NTLDR!
> >
> The two BIOSes grab the same IRQ, only one gets it. Poor programming.
>
> > If I move addon board to another PCI slot, system starts in 640x480
> > resolution and add-on board shares the interrupt with agp video adapter.
> >
> Your video card or driver is broken.

Or the SIL's one is.

> PCI interrupt sharing is required in Windows.
>
> > If I move, yet, one more time, addon board to another PCI slot, system does
> > start fine, and addon sil3112 now uses irq5 which is used by SMBus.
> >
> The SMB and SiI drivers properly share PCI interrupts.

Or SMBus doesn't actually use it.

> > 1) What is wrong that my addon sil shares interrupt with AGP or onboard sil ?
> >
> > 2) Is every PCI slot assigned to only one interrupt ?

IRQ, yes. Is an interrupt (IRQ) assigned to only one slot? No.

> In real mode,

In real mode? In reality, right?

> there are 4 PCI interrupts,

Interrupt lines, IntA, IntB, IntC and IntD.

Their positions on the connectors are rotated on each next slot: BCDA, CDAB etc.
Cards usually use IntA but because of the rotation each slot actually uses a
different interrupt line.
Int line and Slot position can then somehow be used to route to an IRQ line.

> so most slots share them. There is usually one slot not shared.

That is virtually impossible with 4 interrupt lines per slot. However,
limiting the view to IntA which most if not all cards use, the Int rota-
tion will hit an unused Int line at the IntA position in some slot or other.

Its been my experience that if video, hard disk controller, and sound cards
share an irq with same, you will have problems or inoperability. This is at
the bios level.
PNP has improved with latest bios, XP, and hardware. So XP is sometimes
able to overcome some of these problems. XP is not fool-proof regarding
this though.