"Messenger Service" Pop-Ups

Whenever my computer is on, i get random pop-ups titled "Messenger Service."
They do not seem to cause any problems at all, but they are just a pain to X
them off. They come at about 10 an hours. I have anf get no virus's etc
etc. How can I stop this?

THANKS
--
spence
4 answers Last reply

    spencer wrote:
    > Whenever my computer is on, i get random pop-ups titled "Messenger Service."
    > They do not seem to cause any problems at all, but they are just a pain to X
    > them off. They come at about 10 an hours. I have anf get no virus's etc
    > etc. How can I stop this?
    >
    > THANKS

    This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
    swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
    Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
    (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
    only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
    your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
    gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Spence;
    For Messenger Service ads:
    You need to install or enable a firewall:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330904
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673
    Disabling Messenger Service can be a good idea, but it does not solve the
    real problem.
    The ads are not the real problem, the ads are only a symptom.
    The real problem is open ports that allow unwanted traffic into the
    computer.
    Disabling Messenger does nothing for the open ports.
    The firewall controls the traffic.

    Also see:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    From: "spencer" <smindich@tribune.com>

    | Whenever my computer is on, i get random pop-ups titled "Messenger Service."
    | They do not seem to cause any problems at all, but they are just a pain to X
    | them off. They come at about 10 an hours. I have anf get no virus's etc
    | etc. How can I stop this?
    |
    | THANKS
    | --
    | spence

    Disable the "messenger" NT Service.

    Execute;
    %windir%\system32\services.msc

    However, it shows that your PC is exposing MS Networking to the Internet.

    If you are on Broadband Internet, get a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41. It
    will help block NetBIOS pop-ups. To completely block NetBIOS and other forms of MS
    Networking, as always, I suggest block both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SHO
    Router.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    spencer wrote:
    > Whenever my computer is on, i get random pop-ups titled
    > "Messenger Service." They do not seem to cause any problems
    > at all, but they are just a pain to X them off. They come
    > at about 10 an hours. I have anf get no virus's etc etc.
    > How can I stop this?
    >
    > THANKS
    > --
    > spence

    If you want to get rid of the pop-ups either install Service
    Pack 2 or start running a software firewall. Take a look at
    this article for more info:

    Messenger Service Spam
    http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_messengerspam.html

    Free firewalls