Wide Angle Lens vs Slim Camera

laura

I am looking into buying a new digital camera. I have been doing some
research, but keep running in circles about a few of the options. I
really like the Canon PowerShot S60 because it has the wide angle
lens, the slim size for carrying, the VGA movie mode, the 5 mega
pixels, and a few other options. My main concern is the wide angle
lens and the size. I don't want a large camera to carry around with a
new baby (so much stuff already). Also, I really want a camera that
has a good wide angle lens. I HATE always backing up to take
pictures. I am an interior designer and can never get a good picture
of regular size room . . . I need a good wide angle lens!! Is this
the best camera for me?? Do you have any suggestions?? They would be
greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,
Laura

Laura,

I'm also interested in a wide zoom compact. The options seem to be (with my
interpretation of comments from the web):

Canon S60 (tests to come?)
Nikon 5400 (not as good as...)
Olympus 5060 (...this)
Minolta Dimage A1 (Getting bulky, pictures less impressive than Oly 5060)
Minolta Dimage A2 (bulky, expensive)
Canon Poweshot Pro1 (tests less well than most Canons)
Panasonic LC-1 (Wow!)
Leica Digilux 2 (Wow! +$400)

I look forward to comments from anyone with experience of any of these

Steve

"Laura" <lschu23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am looking into buying a new digital camera. I have been doing some
> research, but keep running in circles about a few of the options. I
> really like the Canon PowerShot S60 because it has the wide angle
> lens, the slim size for carrying, the VGA movie mode, the 5 mega
> pixels, and a few other options. My main concern is the wide angle
> lens and the size. I don't want a large camera to carry around with a
> new baby (so much stuff already). Also, I really want a camera that
> has a good wide angle lens. I HATE always backing up to take
> pictures. I am an interior designer and can never get a good picture
> of regular size room . . . I need a good wide angle lens!! Is this
> the best camera for me?? Do you have any suggestions?? They would be
> greatly appreciated!!
>
> Thanks so much,
> Laura

eddie

"Laura" <lschu23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am looking into buying a new digital camera. I have been doing some
> research, but keep running in circles about a few of the options. I
> really like the Canon PowerShot S60 because it has the wide angle
> lens, the slim size for carrying, the VGA movie mode, the 5 mega
> pixels, and a few other options. My main concern is the wide angle
> lens and the size. I don't want a large camera to carry around with a
> new baby (so much stuff already). Also, I really want a camera that
> has a good wide angle lens. I HATE always backing up to take
> pictures. I am an interior designer and can never get a good picture
> of regular size room . . . I need a good wide angle lens!! Is this
> the best camera for me?? Do you have any suggestions?? They would be
> greatly appreciated!!
>
> Thanks so much,

> Laura

Laura, I doubt that you will get everything you want in one camera. The
Canon A series and the G5 (too bulky for you?) have wide-angle addon lenses.
But, they also have a panoramic mode. With this easy to use in-camera
facility, you can do a whole room in two or more passes and the
photo-software will stich them together.

Else you may have to go for a camera with a genuine equivalent 28mm lens.

Eddie

I have a G5, and if somebody wants to carry a kid and a camera, I recommend
against it (but, if somebody wants to take killer pictures without shelling
out for an SLR, I highly recommend the G5). The A60 has stitch assist, like
my G5, and if you practice with it, you'll be able to fit any room in one
picture, but it does take practice. dcresource.com has a review of a
pre-production s60. www.steves-digicams.com has a review too.