127Gb Limit

dl

I've just installed a new Maxtor 160Gb h/d to a PIII Intel m/b. Hit the
127Gb limit. Installed Maxblast 3, XP SP1, etc. to no avail. Assume it is
BIOS limitation? If so is there a way around it or do I have to upgrade m/b?

Any help to reclaim lost Gb's appreciated.
DL

DL wrote:

> I've just installed a new Maxtor 160Gb h/d to a PIII Intel m/b. Hit the
> 127Gb limit. Installed Maxblast 3, XP SP1, etc. to no avail. Assume it is
> BIOS limitation? If so is there a way around it or do I have to upgrade
> m/b?
>
> Any help to reclaim lost Gb's appreciated.

If you can get an updated BIOS that supports 48-bit addressing that will do
it. Otherwise, consider a new host adapter with a 48-bit BIOS. They don't
cost much.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

DL <d.l@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote in message

> I've just installed a new Maxtor 160Gb h/d to a PIII Intel m/b.
> Hit the 127Gb limit. Installed Maxblast 3, XP SP1, etc. to no
> avail. Assume it is BIOS limitation?

Yep.

> If so is there a way around it

Yes, quite a few ways.

The best is to flash the motherboard with a bios flash
that supports drives over 127GB. Usually available
on the motherboard manufacturer's web site.

If it isnt the boot drive, XP with SP1 should see it as full
size. You may well have to wipe it and repartition and
format it now tho because you werent using SP1 initially.

> or do I have to upgrade m/b?

Hardly ever. Tho it can be a good excuse to do that if you
are getting a bit sick of its puny performance anyway.