WD800BB weird click noise

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 13, 2004 10:04:13 AM

Yesterday night, I had my computer on, whitout working in it
while I was having dinner.
A warning small window appeared with a "Hard Error" and a yellow
warning triangle. The computer crashed and I turned it off.

After the reset the disk started making a click noise, followed by a
hum (as if the plates would started rotation) and the silence. And
again the click, the hum, silence continuosly.

When I checked the BIOS it detected the disk as WD600BB 2.13 with 8192
Mb !!!
Totally weird.

Conclusion, without a cause the disk stopped working.
I suppose can try to RMA it, but I still can figure out what the h..
happened.

Would anyone have any suggestions? clues?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 13, 2004 1:17:53 PM

"Diego Quiroga" <seku@sion.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday night, I had my computer on, whitout working in it
> while I was having dinner.
> A warning small window appeared with a "Hard Error" and a yellow
> warning triangle. The computer crashed and I turned it off.
>
> After the reset the disk started making a click noise, followed by a
> hum (as if the plates would started rotation) and the silence. And
> again the click, the hum, silence continuosly.
>
> When I checked the BIOS it detected the disk as WD600BB 2.13 with 8192
> Mb !!!
> Totally weird.
>
> Conclusion, without a cause the disk stopped working.
> I suppose can try to RMA it, but I still can figure out what the h..
> happened.
>
> Would anyone have any suggestions? clues?
>
> Thanks in advance.

It sounds to me like the drive just went dead, as you suggested.

Does this drive have SMART? If so, and if you're interested, you might try
one of the utilities that can read the SMART info from the drive and see if
there's anything unusual, like a high max temperature, that you may not have
noticed.

The one I use for this is Passmark's Diskcheckup:

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

Jim
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 13, 2004 8:11:21 PM

Western Digitals are know for their "Click of death".
Sorry your hard drive died.
Say a prayer, to help it to hard drive heaven.

"Diego Quiroga" <seku@sion.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday night, I had my computer on, whitout working in it
> while I was having dinner.
> A warning small window appeared with a "Hard Error" and a yellow
> warning triangle. The computer crashed and I turned it off.
>
> After the reset the disk started making a click noise, followed by a
> hum (as if the plates would started rotation) and the silence. And
> again the click, the hum, silence continuosly.
>
> When I checked the BIOS it detected the disk as WD600BB 2.13 with 8192
> Mb !!!
> Totally weird.
>
> Conclusion, without a cause the disk stopped working.
> I suppose can try to RMA it, but I still can figure out what the h..
> happened.
>
> Would anyone have any suggestions? clues?
>
> Thanks in advance.
a b G Storage
April 13, 2004 8:52:58 PM

"Ohaya" <Ohaya@NO_SPAM.cox.net> wrote in message news:%LRec.6865$55.5879@lakeread02...

> "Diego Quiroga" <seku@sion.com> wrote in message news:40593b4c.0404130504.38797c16@posting.google.com...
> > Yesterday night, I had my computer on, whitout working in it
> > while I was having dinner.
> > A warning small window appeared with a "Hard Error" and a yellow
> > warning triangle. The computer crashed and I turned it off.
> >
> > After the reset the disk started making a click noise, followed by a
> > hum (as if the plates would started rotation) and the silence. And
> > again the click, the hum, silence continuosly.
> >
> > When I checked the BIOS it detected the disk as WD600BB 2.13
> > with 8192 Mb !!! Totally weird.
> >
> > Conclusion, without a cause the disk stopped working. I suppose I
> > can try to RMA it, but I still can figure out what the h.. happened.
> >
> > Would anyone have any suggestions? clues?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> It sounds to me like the drive just went dead, as you suggested.
>
> Does this drive have SMART? If so, and if you're interested, you might
> try one of the utilities that can read the SMART info from the drive

And where do you think that that info is located?

> and see if there's anything unusual, like a high max temperature,
> that you may not have noticed.

Good luck with that and a drive that doesn't spin.

> The one I use for this is Passmark's Diskcheckup:
>
> http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm
>
> Jim

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 13, 2004 9:40:28 PM

Yep, after that "hardware failure sound"I lost my hope.

I would like to had some kind of warning before this, dunno,
bad sector, slow starting, something...
Nop, silently after a year the disk passed away.

I'm open for suggestions on Brand/Models for its replacement
(something that can last at least a couple of years please!!!)
(80/120 Gb, ATA100/ATA133, 8Mb buffer?)

Thanx

diego

PS
There's no recovery method available after what happened, isn't?
No firmware upgrade, electronic glitch, hammer smashing???

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<JiUec.130810$JO3.83276@attbi_s04>...
> Western Digitals are know for their "Click of death".
> Sorry your hard drive died.
> Say a prayer, to help it to hard drive heaven.
>
> "Diego Quiroga" <seku@sion.com> wrote in message
> > Yesterday night, I had my computer on, whitout working in it
> > while I was having dinner.
> > A warning small window appeared with a "Hard Error" and a yellow
> > warning triangle. The computer crashed and I turned it off.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 12:26:09 AM

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message

> "Ohaya" <Ohaya@NO_SPAM.cox.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Diego Quiroga" <seku@sion.com> wrote in message
> > > Yesterday night, I had my computer on, whitout working in it
> > > while I was having dinner.
> > > A warning small window appeared with a "Hard Error" and a yellow
> > > warning triangle. The computer crashed and I turned it off.
> > >
> > > After the reset the disk started making a click noise, followed by a
> > > hum (as if the plates would started rotation) and the silence. And
> > > again the click, the hum, silence continuosly.
> > >
> > > When I checked the BIOS it detected the disk as WD600BB 2.13
> > > with 8192 Mb !!! Totally weird.
> > >
> > > Conclusion, without a cause the disk stopped working. I suppose I
> > > can try to RMA it, but I still can figure out what the h.. happened.
> > >
> > > Would anyone have any suggestions? clues?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > It sounds to me like the drive just went dead, as you suggested.
> >
> > Does this drive have SMART? If so, and if you're interested, you might
> > try one of the utilities that can read the SMART info from the drive
>
> And where do you think that that info is located?

Folkert,

I'd always assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the SMART information was
stored electronically, e.g., maybe in EEPROM or something like that. Is it
stored on the drive (platter) itself?

Since Diego had indicated that his system still was able to see the drive,
albeit incorrectly, I'd thought that the SMART info would still be
accessible.

Jim
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 9:15:18 AM

Its likely died, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

More below.

Diego Quiroga <seku@sion.com> wrote in message

> Yesterday night, I had my computer on, whitout working in it
> while I was having dinner.
> A warning small window appeared with a "Hard Error" and a yellow
> warning triangle. The computer crashed and I turned it off.
>
> After the reset the disk started making a click noise, followed by a
> hum (as if the plates would started rotation) and the silence. And
> again the click, the hum, silence continuosly.
>
> When I checked the BIOS it detected the disk as WD600BB 2.13 with 8192
> Mb !!!
> Totally weird.
>
> Conclusion, without a cause the disk stopped working.
> I suppose can try to RMA it, but I still can figure out what the h..
> happened.
>
> Would anyone have any suggestions?

Replace the drive.

> clues?

Use a time machine to back up before the failure and back it up.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 9:15:19 AM

> Its likely died, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

Hi Rod,

Were you responding to me? The original poster had asked if there was
anything that he could do to see what might've happened to the drive. He
seemed to realize that the drive was gone, and I guess I interpreted part of
his post as "I'd like to maybe get an idea of why, e.g., maybe it had run at
80C at one point". Just trying to respond to his post, and, no, I'm not
into necrophilia :) ...

Jim
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 9:16:35 AM

Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Western Digitals are know for their "Click of death".
> Sorry your hard drive died.
> Say a prayer, to help it to hard drive heaven.

More appropriate to put a stake thru its heart and send it to hell instead.

> "Diego Quiroga" <seku@sion.com> wrote in message
> > Yesterday night, I had my computer on, whitout working in it
> > while I was having dinner.
> > A warning small window appeared with a "Hard Error" and a yellow
> > warning triangle. The computer crashed and I turned it off.
> >
> > After the reset the disk started making a click noise, followed by a
> > hum (as if the plates would started rotation) and the silence. And
> > again the click, the hum, silence continuosly.
> >
> > When I checked the BIOS it detected the disk as WD600BB 2.13 with 8192
> > Mb !!!
> > Totally weird.
> >
> > Conclusion, without a cause the disk stopped working.
> > I suppose can try to RMA it, but I still can figure out what the h..
> > happened.
> >
> > Would anyone have any suggestions? clues?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 2:40:41 PM

ohaya <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> wrote
in message news:Bv%ec.6949$55.1000@lakeread02...
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>> Its likely died, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

> Hi Rod,

> Were you responding to me?

Nope, I already know you are into necrophilia, whatever you claim.

I replied to his post, not yours.

> The original poster had asked if there was anything that
> he could do to see what might've happened to the drive.

I didnt bother to comment on that given the other responses.

> He seemed to realize that the drive was gone,
> and I guess I interpreted part of his post as
> "I'd like to maybe get an idea of why, e
> .g., maybe it had run at 80C at one point".
> Just trying to respond to his post,

Trouble is that if it doesnt even spin up, he's
unlikely to be able to inspect the SMART data.

> and, no, I'm not into necrophilia :) ...

Have fun explaining this graphic footage I have of your depravity |-)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 2:40:42 PM

> Have fun explaining this graphic footage I have of your depravity |-)

Ummm. Do you know something that *I* don't know :) ???

Jim
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 2:44:57 PM

> Yep, after that "hardware failure sound"I lost my hope.

> I would like to had some kind of warning before
> this, dunno, bad sector, slow starting, something...
> Nop, silently after a year the disk passed away.

> I'm open for suggestions on Brand/Models for its replacement
> (something that can last at least a couple of years please!!!)
> (80/120 Gb, ATA100/ATA133, 8Mb buffer?)

I like the Samsung's currently. Very quite
and a full 3 year warranty on all their drives.

> There's no recovery method available after what happened, isn't?

Professional recovery should be able
to get the data back, at a hell of a price.

> No firmware upgrade, electronic glitch, hammer smashing???

The last would make you feel better.

There's also necrophilia.

> "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<JiUec.130810$JO3.83276@attbi_s04>...
> > Western Digitals are know for their "Click of death".
> > Sorry your hard drive died.
> > Say a prayer, to help it to hard drive heaven.
> >
> > "Diego Quiroga" <seku@sion.com> wrote in message
> > > Yesterday night, I had my computer on, whitout working in it
> > > while I was having dinner.
> > > A warning small window appeared with a "Hard Error" and a yellow
> > > warning triangle. The computer crashed and I turned it off.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 5:39:46 PM

ohaya <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> wrote
in message news:1U%ec.6955$55.4036@lakeread02...

>> Have fun explaining this graphic footage I have of your depravity |-)

> Ummm. Do you know something that *I* don't know :) ???

Yep. You really should give up those magic mushrooms |-)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 15, 2004 12:01:09 AM

"ohaya" <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> wrote in message news:Ay%ec.6951$55.2425@lakeread02
> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:c5hfsp$1pfg9$2@ID-79662.news.uni-berlin.de...

> > > It sounds to me like the drive just went dead, as you suggested.
> > >
> > > Does this drive have SMART? If so, and if you're interested, you might
> > > try one of the utilities that can read the SMART info from the drive
> >
> > And where do you think that that info is located?
>

> Folkert,
>
> I'd always assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the SMART information was
> stored electronically, e.g., maybe in EEPROM or something like that. Is it
> stored on the drive (platter) itself?

The data is mostly medium related so it should stay with the platters incase
the interface is replaced.

> Since Diego had indicated that his system still was able to see the drive,
> albeit incorrectly, I'd thought that the SMART info would still be
> accessible.

Since drives can be set to spin-up by command it became necessary
for them to display some data without being spun-up.

> Jim
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 15, 2004 12:41:09 AM

Believe it or not, I recovered my data.
After reading lot of posts on the subject, I put the disk on the
fridge for a while to see what happened. After that, I connected it as
secondary master.
Same noise, BIOS telling me it was a WD600 with 8192 Mb and WinXP in
the
primary master not aware at all of the existence of my disk.
I tried several "low-level" tools to check if I could get something
from the
disk, zero results. Diagnostic disk from WD also failed discovering
the disk.

So I tried the last thing..smash the disk in the sides..quite strong
indeed.
The noise stopped.

Two hits more, then I checked BIOS if something change, two hits more,
check again.. after 6 or 8 very strong hits, BIOS started recognizing
it as WD800!
But nor WinXP neither other software tools could "see" the disk.

Last try, I connected it as a primary master...and...voila! boot Ok,
everything
running as the first day. I downloaded all my data to the
notebook..now I've
to buy another disk...can't trust in this f..WD anymore.

Thanks for advice/jokes in the very sad moment I past.

Diego,

!