NTFS folder encryption

I encrypted one of my folders on my drive D using the right click on a folder
& selcting Properties, then clicking on the Advanced button & ticking the
Encrypt contents to secure data.

I then had to re-format my drive C, now I can not gain access to this
folder, although I had most of my data backed up somewhere else, there are
some folders that I can not gain access to and I need to as I have some
important that I did not have saved.

Does anyone know how I can get access to this folder as I have save that
folder.

I can see the folder but can not see the information in the folder.
3 answers Last reply
More about ntfs folder encryption

    In article <BCDB6FD2-989E-40C4-BB8F-BFA3F7B7629C@microsoft.com>,
    lesC@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I encrypted one of my folders on my drive D using the right click on a folder
    > & selcting Properties, then clicking on the Advanced button & ticking the
    > Encrypt contents to secure data.
    >
    > I then had to re-format my drive C, now I can not gain access to this
    > folder, although I had most of my data backed up somewhere else, there are
    > some folders that I can not gain access to and I need to as I have some
    > important that I did not have saved.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get access to this folder as I have save that
    > folder.
    >
    > I can see the folder but can not see the information in the folder.

    They are gone forever.
    Next time you use attempt to use EFS, open the Certificates MMC focused
    on the current user, and then export the EFS certificates including the
    private key.
    Export the file and passport to a safe location (not on your hard drive)
    and then you will be able to recover in the future.
    Hope you did not lose anything really important.
    Brian

    If you did not backup your encryption keys, then you're out of luck.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "lesC" <lesC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BCDB6FD2-989E-40C4-BB8F-BFA3F7B7629C@microsoft.com...
    >I encrypted one of my folders on my drive D using the right click on a folder
    > & selcting Properties, then clicking on the Advanced button & ticking the
    > Encrypt contents to secure data.
    >
    > I then had to re-format my drive C, now I can not gain access to this
    > folder, although I had most of my data backed up somewhere else, there are
    > some folders that I can not gain access to and I need to as I have some
    > important that I did not have saved.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get access to this folder as I have save that
    > folder.
    >
    > I can see the folder but can not see the information in the folder.

    Without access to the original profile or keys, your data is as good as
    gone.
    It is to late to recreate them.
    See the links near the bottom of this page to help prevent this in the
    future:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "lesC" <lesC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I encrypted one of my folders on my drive D using the right click on a
    >folder
    > & selcting Properties, then clicking on the Advanced button & ticking the
    > Encrypt contents to secure data.
    >
    > I then had to re-format my drive C, now I can not gain access to this
    > folder, although I had most of my data backed up somewhere else, there are
    > some folders that I can not gain access to and I need to as I have some
    > important that I did not have saved.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get access to this folder as I have save that
    > folder.
    >
    > I can see the folder but can not see the information in the folder.

Encryption Windows XP