Why so long to copy CD files?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
drive.

I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).

Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.

On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
whole CD.

(1) What is causing this short-burst copying to happen? Is it XP,
the CD-R hardware, copy protection on the CD, the CD's file
structure, my PC's configuration?

(2) And how can I get the files from this CD to my hard drive more
quickly?

btbus.dat 50 MB
d5.dat 15 MB
d5.idx 0.9 MB
d7.dat 4.8 MB
d7.idx 1.3 MB
dbbus.dat 62 MB
icd.dat 0
lobdesc.dat 17 MB
lobdesc.idx 0.2 MB
uk.dat 403 MB
ukaddr.idx 124 MB
12 answers Last reply
More about long copy files
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <94CAEF856B09C37E1A@64.62.191.201>,
    Sal Amie <Sal_Amie@eatm.com> wrote:
    >It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
    >drive.
    >
    >I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
    >The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
    >
    >Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
    >drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
    >bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.
    >
    >On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
    >took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
    >whole CD.
    >
    >(1) What is causing this short-burst copying to happen? Is it XP,
    >the CD-R hardware, copy protection on the CD, the CD's file
    >structure, my PC's configuration?
    >
    >(2) And how can I get the files from this CD to my hard drive more
    >quickly?
    >

    >btbus.dat 50 MB
    >d5.dat 15 MB
    >d5.idx 0.9 MB
    >d7.dat 4.8 MB
    >d7.idx 1.3 MB
    >dbbus.dat 62 MB
    >icd.dat 0
    >lobdesc.dat 17 MB
    >lobdesc.idx 0.2 MB
    >uk.dat 403 MB
    >ukaddr.idx 124 MB

    This sounds like a bad spot on the CD. Try wiping it with a
    very clean cloth in a radial direction, and try again.

    Did the disk _ever_ work ? If this is the first time you've
    tried to use it it's possible it's defective.

    You can buy a "CD recovery kit" at a major computer store. It's
    a very fine polish that can sometimes remove a surface defect.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Sal Amie wrote:

    > It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
    > drive.
    >
    > I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
    > The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
    >
    > Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
    > drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
    > bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.

    Probably a poorly written disc; check the disc for errors (SpeedDisk or
    CD/DVD Diagnostic). Your symptom is typical of needing many rereads to
    get a good handle on the data.

    Mike
    --
    mrichter@cpl.net
    http://www.mrichter.com/

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > In article <94CAEF856B09C37E1A@64.62.191.201>,
    > Sal Amie <Sal_Amie@eatm.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
    >>took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
    >>whole CD.
    >>

    > This sounds like a bad spot on the CD. Try wiping it with a
    > very clean cloth in a radial direction, and try again.
    >
    > Did the disk _ever_ work ? If this is the first time you've
    > tried to use it it's possible it's defective.

    I don't think that is the case, as the OP mentioned that he could read
    in and create an image of the whole cd in 2 or 3 minutes.

    -WD
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F2D8973.EBCD8386@mindspring.com
    (Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

    ( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
    ( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

    Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) spewed:

    > Sal Amie wrote:
    >
    > > It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
    > > drive.
    > >
    > > I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
    > > The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
    > >
    > > Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
    > > drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
    > > bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.

    Did Mikey snip these accidentally?
    On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
    took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
    whole CD.

    > Probably a poorly written disc; check the disc for errors (SpeedDisk or
    > CD/DVD Diagnostic). Your symptom is typical of needing many rereads to
    > get a good handle on the data.

    Did you snip accidentally, Mikey?
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Do you have the DMA option set for the drive? This sounds like a traffic jam
    on the IDE bus.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>
    Graham Mayor

    Sal Amie wrote:
    > It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
    > drive.
    >
    > I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
    > The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
    >
    > Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
    > drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
    > bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.
    >
    > On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
    > took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
    > whole CD.
    >
    > (1) What is causing this short-burst copying to happen? Is it XP,
    > the CD-R hardware, copy protection on the CD, the CD's file
    > structure, my PC's configuration?
    >
    > (2) And how can I get the files from this CD to my hard drive more
    > quickly?
    >

    > btbus.dat 50 MB
    > d5.dat 15 MB
    > d5.idx 0.9 MB
    > d7.dat 4.8 MB
    > d7.idx 1.3 MB
    > dbbus.dat 62 MB
    > icd.dat 0
    > lobdesc.dat 17 MB
    > lobdesc.idx 0.2 MB
    > uk.dat 403 MB
    > ukaddr.idx 124 MB
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

    >> In article <94CAEF856B09C37E1A@64.62.191.201>,
    >> Sal Amie <Sal_Amie@eatm.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD
    >>>it took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of
    >>>the whole CD.
    >>>

    >> This sounds like a bad spot on the CD. Try wiping it with a
    >> very clean cloth in a radial direction, and try again.
    >>
    >> Did the disk _ever_ work ? If this is the first time you've
    >> tried to use it it's possible it's defective.
    >

    > I don't think that is the case, as the OP mentioned that he
    > could read in and create an image of the whole cd in 2 or 3
    > minutes.

    Is there a way I can extract the files from the large "image" file
    which Nero can be asked to create on my hard drive?
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Sal Amie wrote:

    > Is there a way I can extract the files from the large "image" file
    > which Nero can be asked to create on my hard drive?

    Yes. ISOBuster should do it. Or WinISO.

    -WD
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Graham Mayor <gmayor@noonehome.com> wrote in message

    > Do you have the DMA option set for the drive?
    > This sounds like a traffic jam on the IDE bus.

    Nope, the hard drive led wouldnt flash ocassionally if it was.

    > Sal Amie wrote:
    > > It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
    > > drive.
    > >
    > > I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
    > > The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
    > >
    > > Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
    > > drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
    > > bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.
    > >
    > > On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
    > > took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
    > > whole CD.
    > >
    > > (1) What is causing this short-burst copying to happen? Is it XP,
    > > the CD-R hardware, copy protection on the CD, the CD's file
    > > structure, my PC's configuration?
    > >
    > > (2) And how can I get the files from this CD to my hard drive more
    > > quickly?
    > >

    > > btbus.dat 50 MB
    > > d5.dat 15 MB
    > > d5.idx 0.9 MB
    > > d7.dat 4.8 MB
    > > d7.idx 1.3 MB
    > > dbbus.dat 62 MB
    > > icd.dat 0
    > > lobdesc.dat 17 MB
    > > lobdesc.idx 0.2 MB
    > > uk.dat 403 MB
    > > ukaddr.idx 124 MB

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > Graham Mayor <gmayor@noonehome.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Do you have the DMA option set for the drive?
    >> This sounds like a traffic jam on the IDE bus.
    >
    > Nope, the hard drive led wouldn't flash occasionally if it was.

    It would flash every time the hard drive was written to - the process was
    described as slow not stopped.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<>
    Graham Mayor

    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Graham Mayor <gmayor@noonehome.com> wrote

    >>> Do you have the DMA option set for the drive?
    >>> This sounds like a traffic jam on the IDE bus.

    >> Nope, the hard drive led wouldn't flash occasionally if it was.

    > It would flash every time the hard drive was written to

    And when the CD is read too since it flashes for all drives.

    > - the process was described as slow not stopped.

    Yes, but if there really was a traffic jam on
    the IDE bus, it would be on all the time. It isnt.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    How many files are on the CD? I suspect it is a lot of files. When Nero
    copies the CD, it does not copy individual files. When XP copies the CD, it
    is coping it one file at a time.

    "Sal Amie" <Sal_Amie@eatm.com> wrote in message
    > It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
    > drive.
    >
    > I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
    > The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
    >
    > Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
    > drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
    > bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.
    >
    > On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
    > took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
    > whole CD.
    >
    > (1) What is causing this short-burst copying to happen? Is it XP,
    > the CD-R hardware, copy protection on the CD, the CD's file
    > structure, my PC's configuration?
    >
    > (2) And how can I get the files from this CD to my hard drive more
    > quickly?
    >

    > btbus.dat 50 MB
    > d5.dat 15 MB
    > d5.idx 0.9 MB
    > d7.dat 4.8 MB
    > d7.idx 1.3 MB
    > dbbus.dat 62 MB
    > icd.dat 0
    > lobdesc.dat 17 MB
    > lobdesc.idx 0.2 MB
    > uk.dat 403 MB
    > ukaddr.idx 124 MB
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    But the point here about the IDE traffic jam is this- Is your hd and
    cd on the same IDE channel? Lights are indicators, but you really
    don't know or will not know unless two things- a.) you see in the
    bios, b.) you see in on the bios result screen after post (and it
    may flyby too fast to read, these days anyway if u have a fast
    machine, or c.) You open your case and find out, and d.) this is four
    things now, not two.

    Many off the shelf out of the box pc's w/one hd and one cd come from
    the factory setup w/HD on chnl 1 and CD on chnl 2, because it is the
    way u want it and they'll do it that way, but until u verify this, u
    truly don't know. Meanwhile, if u find HD and CD on same chanl, split
    them and you certainly will gain speed, and in every situation, by
    design.

    Hope it helps,

    jdc

Hardware CD-Rom Storage