copied 40 gig hd to 80 gig...

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 3:46:11 AM

Both western digitals. 40 gig had 2 partitions.
After copying both partitons over using Norton Ghost 2003 I make the
80 gig the master and..... windows xp loads to a screem that says
windows xp and goes no further. What do i need to do to make this
thing work?

Thanks

More about : copied gig gig

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 10:47:18 PM

Stevie B <hustla@softhome.net> wrote in message

> Both western digitals. 40 gig had 2 partitions.

> After copying both partitons over using Norton Ghost 2003 I make
> the 80 gig the master and..... windows xp loads to a screem

Why is it screeming, have you been hitting it with a baseball bat ?

> that says windows xp and goes no further.
> What do i need to do to make this thing work?

Do the copy again, this time from the ghost floppy.

When the copy has completed, unplug the original drive
ribbon cable and power cable and just have the 80GB
drive visible to XP for the first boot after the copy.
You may need to change the jumpers on the 80GB
drive if its on the same ribbon cable as the 40GB and
you arent using cable select jumpers on both drives.

XP should find new hardware on the first boot from
the 80GB drive and ask for another boot. Allow that.

You can then plug the 40GB drive back
in again and format it or whatever you like.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 14, 2004 10:47:19 PM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<c5itqo$25h0h$1@ID-69072.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Stevie B <hustla@softhome.net> wrote in message
>
> > Both western digitals. 40 gig had 2 partitions.
>
> > After copying both partitons over using Norton Ghost 2003 I make
> > the 80 gig the master and..... windows xp loads to a screem
>
> Why is it screeming, have you been hitting it with a baseball bat ?

You got me brother. I meant screen. I am not the best typist.
I will look into the rest of what you wrote. Thanks
!