EFS Question

First, I have googled and read the great articles in TechNet. I'm new to
encryption, so my question (I think) is pretty basic, but I'm frankly scared
to start using EFS until I'm sure I'll be able to get my data back. ;-)

I'm running a machine with XP Pro at home in a workgroup (no domain). I
have two user accounts on the machine. What are the benefits to a data
recovery agent in this configuration? Assuming I memorize the passwords and
export the keys from both user accounts using mmc (and keep them in a safe
place), what would I need the DRA for?

Thanks--

Jim
1 answer Last reply
More about question

    In case the encrypting profile is damaged or destroyed.

    Do NOT use EFS until you are sure how to use it and comfortable with
    recovery procedures.
    I suggest you practice with unimportant data possibly with another profile.
    Create problems and than attempt recovery.
    Only after finding yourself comfortable, then start using EFS.

    If something goes wrong, there is a good chance your data will be lost
    forever.
    There is a reason EFS is often called the "Delayed Recycle Bin".

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Jim" <JABPFPEITRHA@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > First, I have googled and read the great articles in TechNet. I'm new to
    > encryption, so my question (I think) is pretty basic, but I'm frankly
    > scared to start using EFS until I'm sure I'll be able to get my data back.
    > ;-)
    >
    > I'm running a machine with XP Pro at home in a workgroup (no domain). I
    > have two user accounts on the machine. What are the benefits to a data
    > recovery agent in this configuration? Assuming I memorize the passwords
    > and export the keys from both user accounts using mmc (and keep them in a
    > safe place), what would I need the DRA for?
    >
    > Thanks--
    >
    > Jim

User Accounts Windows XP