Boot problem

Hello, here's me problem:

When i insert a bootable windows cd i get the prompt for windows
setup(press any key .....), if i don't press a key i get to the
boot.ini menu & everything works out fine...

If i start the computer without the cd i get "invalid sytsem disk,
press enter".

I've checked my MBR and both of the PBS' and i can't see anything
wrong with them, i guess there's no error in them since after the
initial boot from the cd everything loads up nicely but i can't find
the culprit.

BIOS boot setup is C, CDROM, A. I've tried other options too. Only
disk is on mb's primary ide.

Any clues or interest for checking my sector00 - 63 ?
2 answers Last reply
More about boot problem

    "muhaha" <vendetto@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:dea12ae6.0404141256.488bbdb5@posting.google.com...
    > Hello, here's me problem:
    >
    > When i insert a bootable windows cd i get the prompt for windows
    > setup(press any key .....), if i don't press a key i get to the
    > boot.ini menu & everything works out fine...
    >
    > If i start the computer without the cd i get "invalid sytsem disk,
    > press enter".
    >
    > I've checked my MBR and both of the PBS' and i can't see anything
    > wrong with them, i guess there's no error in them since after the
    > initial boot from the cd everything loads up nicely but i can't find
    > the culprit.
    >
    > BIOS boot setup is C, CDROM, A. I've tried other options too. Only
    > disk is on mb's primary ide.

    > Any clues

    Most likely something odd about hard drive subsystem that doesnt
    see the boot sector read properly with a boot without a CD present.

    Check that the hard drive is jumpered properly. You can
    get some odd effects with wrong jumpering, with the drive
    basically working but with some odd effects like that.

    What is the hard drive ? WDs have a different jumpering
    when they are the only drive on the ribbon cable.

    > or interest for checking my sector00 - 63 ?

    The best check for that is the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic.

    That might show something.

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c5kb9m$2odvu$1@ID-69072.news.uni-berlin.de...

    > "muhaha" <vendetto@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:dea12ae6.0404141256.488bbdb5@posting.google.com...
    > > Hello, here's me problem:
    > >
    > > When i insert a bootable windows cd i get the prompt for windows
    > > setup (press any key .....), if i don't press a key i get to the
    > > boot.ini menu & everything works out fine...

    So the Windows CD is providing something that your HD is lacking.

    > > If i start the computer without the cd i get "invalid system disk,
    > > press enter".

    Sounds like the CD is booting your HD. It probably has it's own boot.ini .

    > > I've checked my MBR and both of the PBS' and i can't see anything
    > > wrong with them, i guess there's no error in them since after the
    > > initial boot from the cd everything loads up nicely but i can't find
    > > the culprit.

    Boot partition made active?

    > > BIOS boot setup is C, CDROM, A.

    So it doesn't consider C bootable and jumps to CDROM.

    > I've tried other options too. Only disk is on mb's primary ide.
    >
    > > Any clues
    >
    > Most likely something odd about hard drive subsystem that doesnt
    > see the boot sector read properly with a boot without a CD present.

    It's a Windoze CD, not just any.

    > Check that the hard drive is jumpered properly. You can
    > get some odd effects with wrong jumpering, with the drive
    > basically working but with some odd effects like that.

    Not that.

    > What is the hard drive ? WDs have a different jumpering
    > when they are the only drive on the ribbon cable.
    >
    > > or interest for checking my sector 00 - 63 ?
    >
    > The best check for that is the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic.
    >
    > That might show something.

Boot CD-Rom Storage