Help - Hard Disk causing constant hangs in XP

I'm running a Maxtor 250GB SATA disk in a Shuttle XPC barebones case.

The last week or two my machine (running XP with all critical updates
applied) is hanging repeatedly. I am spyware and virus free.

I have a 20GB C: partition and the rest as the D: drive.

I think the D: drive is flaky, as the hangs seem to be when accessing this.

The problem is, the machine hangs for good, whenever I try any of the
following:

- CHKDSK (even via recovery console) - chkdsk reports file system structure
errors then hangs before reaching 100% checked
- backing up to a 250GB firewire drive (and my last backup is a few weeks
old!)
- running XP defrag
- running Norton Disk Doctor.

So I can't salvage data from it, and I can't repair it.

Any ideas for other software or things to try?

Thanks,

Fred.

Findbad, http://www.partitionsupport.com

In article <c61394$jrj$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre