What is a good util to copy non-system partition to new dr..

peter

OS: Win2000

I have a 170GB partition and want to copy it to a new 200 GB drive.

I have tried Partition Magic 7 and although it appears capable it
demands that the PC is restarted and then stops at the Windows Startup
DOS style progress bar, somewhere close to the end.

I am pretty sure this is a hang as there is not indication that
anything is happening either visually or in drive activity noise. I
waited a few hours but there was no obvious progress so gave up.

Can anyone recommend a simple utility that will do the NTFS partition
copy?

Hi,

You can try the imaging feature in BootitNG, or Image for Dos, both from:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

Jim

In article <g16880p672l4fpf28stg4g0vn6hkdth64g@4ax.com>,
usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM says...
> OS: Win2000
[cut]
> Can anyone recommend a simple utility that will do the NTFS partition
> copy?

Hi,

You could try Drive SnapShot
http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

--
ICQ# 114297372

Peter <usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM> wrote in

> OS: Win2000
>

> I have a 170GB partition and want to copy it to a new 200 GB drive.
>
> I have tried Partition Magic 7 and although it appears capable it
> demands that the PC is restarted and then stops at the Windows Startup
> DOS style progress bar, somewhere close to the end.
>
> I am pretty sure this is a hang as there is not indication that
> anything is happening either visually or in drive activity noise. I
> waited a few hours but there was no obvious progress so gave up.
>
> Can anyone recommend a simple utility that will do the NTFS partition
> copy?

Is there a reason you want to do a partition copy instead of a file copy?

If it's not a system partition, I would just use robocopy from the windows
resource kit, and do a file copy. It's restartable, and it can keep logs
of anything missed. It's saved my bacon more than once when I've had to do
terrabyte or more volume copies. I'd complete initial copies while the
system was up, then during the scheduled outage I'd run it to just sync
what had changed, which takes much less time. It can also check and fix
changed ACLs, etc.

For something that's free, it works better than most of the other solutions
out there. Also, if you want to get more throughput, you can run multiple
instances, one per directory tree is what I do. This takes a little bit
more effort to script but not much. It pays off in faster copies and
syncs, if time is a concern.

Peter wrote:
> OS: Win2000
>

> I have a 170GB partition and want to copy it to a new 200 GB drive.
>
> I have tried Partition Magic 7 and although it appears capable it
> demands that the PC is restarted and then stops at the Windows Startup
> DOS style progress bar, somewhere close to the end.
>
> I am pretty sure this is a hang as there is not indication that
> anything is happening either visually or in drive activity noise. I
> waited a few hours but there was no obvious progress so gave up.
>
> Can anyone recommend a simple utility that will do the NTFS partition
> copy?

If the OS you have started PartitionMagic 7.0 from is Windows XP then repeat
the copying process from the rescue disks...Should work fine!
(The reason why I am saying this is that PartitionMagic 7.0/7.01 is not 100%
compatible with Windows XP WITH SP1. SP1 came out AFTER the release of
PartitionMagic 7.01)...

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"