Installing two IDE hard disks on the same bus (same cable)?

Hi, here is my configuration. I have a Epox 8RGA+ motherboard with an
AMD XP 3000+ CPU, and it comes with 2 IDE ports. I also have 4 IDE
devices to install: 2 x Western Digital WD1600 hard disks, one DVD-RAM
drive, and one CDRW drive. Should I put two hard disks on the same bus
(same IDE cable, one master and one slave)?? or should I put them on
seperate bus (different cable)? Thanks!

T.T. <hotister@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi, here is my configuration. I have a Epox 8RGA+ motherboard with an
> AMD XP 3000+ CPU, and it comes with 2 IDE ports. I also have 4 IDE
> devices to install: 2 x Western Digital WD1600 hard disks, one DVD-RAM
> drive, and one CDRW drive. Should I put two hard disks on the same bus
> (same IDE cable, one master and one slave)?? or should I put them on
> seperate bus (different cable)? Thanks!

It really doesnt matter.

Its generally best to have the hard drives on one cable
and the optical drives on the other, because those pairs
are usually closest together, the hard drives in the 3.5"
drive bay stack and the optical drives in the 5.25" drive
bay stack and many cables dont have enough distance
between the drive connectors to have one drive in each stack.

You wont be able to pick the difference between
that config and the others in a proper double blind
trial without being allowed to use a benchmark.