Large external drive being seen as smaller size.

Hi,
Hi,
I need more storage for my laptop, so bought a 250GB Western Digital HD,
fitted into the combined USB2/Firewire
external enclosure shown here:
http://s73969325.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=/shopdata/0005_Enclosures+=26amp=3Bslash=3B+Cases/0230_3.5=22+Enclosures/product_details.shopscript?article=0025_3%3D252E5%3D22%2BUSB%2B2%3D252E0%2B%3D26%2BFirewire%2BAnti-Shock%2BEnclosure%2B%3D28ME720U2FW%3D29

Case spec doesn't indicate any limitation on drive capacity.
The problem is that the 250GB drive is shown as being 127GB in WinXP.
The OS has been upgraded to SP1.
I used WinXP's Disk Management system to format and make the drive visible
to the OS.

According to the BIOS information on my Gericom Laptop, LBA mode is
supported and the LBA/LargeMode setting, which offers the options Auto &
Disabled, is set to Auto.
As the drive capacity being seen by the OS is less than the publicised
137GB limit imposed by earlier versions of WinXP, the 127GB limit may be
caused by the case electronics. Can anyone please advise me on this?
Regards,
--
Lila
8 answers Last reply

    There is no 128GiB/137GB limit for USB/FW in Win 2K/XP, only for some IDE
    drivers. The enclosure bridge board has the limitation.

    Did you look for a firmware update for the enclosure? Did you try on a
    Firewire port?

    "Lila Duncan" <Lila@nospam.please> wrote in message
    \
    > I need more storage for my laptop, so bought a 250GB Western Digital HD,
    > fitted into the combined USB2/Firewire
    > external enclosure shown here:
    >
    > Case spec doesn't indicate any limitation on drive capacity.
    > The problem is that the 250GB drive is shown as being 127GB in WinXP.
    > The OS has been upgraded to SP1.
    > I used WinXP's Disk Management system to format and make the drive visible
    > to the OS.

    Use the the Diskpart command from the command prompt. Type diskpart.exe in
    the run command and the Command Prompt window will open. You will be
    working inside the window, similar to fdisk. Then type "list volume". Then
    type "select volume ?" ( Enter the volume designation for you external hard
    drive). Then type "extend size" and this will extend the volume to include
    all space on your hard drive. Just refer to Microsoft KBarticle 325590 for
    using Diskpart.

    Regards,
    Bill

    "Lila Duncan" <Lila@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Hi,
    > I need more storage for my laptop, so bought a 250GB Western Digital HD,
    > fitted into the combined USB2/Firewire
    > external enclosure shown here:

    http://s73969325.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=/shopdata/0005_Enclosures+=26amp=3Bslash=3B+Cases/0230_3.5=22+Enclosures/product_details.shopscript?article=0025_3%3D252E5%3D22%2BUSB%2B2%3D252E0%2B%3D26%2BFirewire%2BAnti-Shock%2BEnclosure%2B%3D28ME720U2FW%3D29

    > Case spec doesn't indicate any limitation on drive capacity.
    > The problem is that the 250GB drive is shown as being 127GB in WinXP.
    > The OS has been upgraded to SP1.
    > I used WinXP's Disk Management system to format and make the drive visible
    > to the OS.
    >
    > According to the BIOS information on my Gericom Laptop, LBA mode is
    > supported and the LBA/LargeMode setting, which offers the options Auto &
    > Disabled, is set to Auto.
    > As the drive capacity being seen by the OS is less than the publicised
    > 137GB limit imposed by earlier versions of WinXP, the 127GB limit may be
    > caused by the case electronics. Can anyone please advise me on this?
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Lila

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:18:02 -0700, "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net>
    wrote:

    Thanks for you reply. There seems to be a lot of factors that could be
    affecting the situation and I'm only part of the way to understanding them.

    >There is no 128GiB/137GB limit for USB/FW in Win 2K/XP, only for some IDE
    >drivers.

    Does this mean that the considerations about having a BIOS capable and
    configured for 48bit LBA doesn't apply to these external drives?

    > The enclosure bridge board has the limitation.

    I've been connecting the drive to the laptop using the USB2 cable and the
    limitation has been consistent in that situation. I took the drive to a
    friend's PC and tried it there. WinXP on the PC immediately saw all of the
    drive's capacity. I would have done this test using the same USB2 cable as
    was used for the laptop connection but due to circumstances, the connection
    to the PC was made with a Firewire cable. I don't know if the means of
    connection was significant but it does seem to confirm that the case
    electronics are not where the fault lies.

    >Did you look for a firmware update for the enclosure?

    Not yet but I will.

    Regards,
    --
    Lila

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:31:21 GMT, "Bill W" <wr.wittmer1@nospam_verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >Use the the Diskpart command from the command prompt. Type diskpart.exe in
    >the run command and the Command Prompt window will open. You will be
    >working inside the window, similar to fdisk. Then type "list volume". Then
    >type "select volume ?" ( Enter the volume designation for you external hard
    >drive). Then type "extend size" and this will extend the volume to include
    >all space on your hard drive. Just refer to Microsoft KBarticle 325590 for
    >using Diskpart.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Bill

    Thanks Bill, It was nice to use something as basic as diskpart to work on
    the problem. I'm pretty sure that if I'd used this method immediately after
    the first attempt at setting up the disk with WinXP Disk Management, I
    would 've made some progress. What seems to have got in the way is that I
    took the external drive to another PC for formatting. After this, instead
    of the earlier, useable, 128GB single partition, I had 2 apparently healthy
    116GB partitions, which when brought back to the laptop wouldn't show up at
    all in WinXP Disk Management, or Diskpart.

    Both partitions do show up in "My Computer" as F & G though. The first has
    a size being shown as 116GB. The other is listed but has no size info
    attached. When the drive attempts to become active, I get a message
    containing: "Windows delayed write failed. ...unable to save all the data
    for the file F:/$Mft..."

    Attempting to reformat via the drive's context menu in My Computer is a
    non-starter.
    I thought I might be able to overcome this by reformatting using a similar
    method as you described for Diskpart but when I tried Start>Run>Format.exe
    I just got an error message.
    Stuck! Temporarily I hope. :-)

    Regards,
    --
    Lila

    It sounds like your enclosure has a 128GiB limit for USB but none for
    Firewire. Pretty bad design, but it's been reported before.

    > Thanks for you reply. There seems to be a lot of factors that could be
    > affecting the situation and I'm only part of the way to understanding them.
    >
    > >There is no 128GiB/137GB limit for USB/FW in Win 2K/XP, only for some IDE
    > >drivers.
    >
    > Does this mean that the considerations about having a BIOS capable and
    > configured for 48bit LBA doesn't apply to these external drives?

    Yes.

    > > The enclosure bridge board has the limitation.
    >
    > I've been connecting the drive to the laptop using the USB2 cable and the
    > limitation has been consistent in that situation. I took the drive to a
    > friend's PC and tried it there. WinXP on the PC immediately saw all of the
    > drive's capacity. I would have done this test using the same USB2 cable as
    > was used for the laptop connection but due to circumstances, the connection
    > to the PC was made with a Firewire cable. I don't know if the means of
    > connection was significant but it does seem to confirm that the case
    > electronics are not where the fault lies.

    Firmware inside the drive enclosure must be able to handle BigATA drives
    (over 137 GB). It should be explicitly stated in the drive enclosure
    specifications. If it doesn't say so, you won't be able to use a big drive.

    "Lila Duncan" <Lila@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:18:02 -0700, "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for you reply. There seems to be a lot of factors that could be
    > affecting the situation and I'm only part of the way to understanding
    them.

    > >There is no 128GiB/137GB limit for USB/FW in Win 2K/XP, only for some IDE
    > >drivers.
    >
    > Does this mean that the considerations about having a BIOS capable and
    > configured for 48bit LBA doesn't apply to these external drives?
    >
    > > The enclosure bridge board has the limitation.
    >
    > I've been connecting the drive to the laptop using the USB2 cable and the
    > limitation has been consistent in that situation. I took the drive to a
    > friend's PC and tried it there. WinXP on the PC immediately saw all of the
    > drive's capacity. I would have done this test using the same USB2 cable as
    > was used for the laptop connection but due to circumstances, the
    connection
    > to the PC was made with a Firewire cable. I don't know if the means of
    > connection was significant but it does seem to confirm that the case
    > electronics are not where the fault lies.
    >
    > >Did you look for a firmware update for the enclosure?
    >
    > Not yet but I will.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Lila

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 07:48:15 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:

    >It sounds like your enclosure has a 128GiB limit for USB but none for
    >Firewire. Pretty bad design, but it's been reported before.

    Hi again, attempts at solving this problem have caused several
    hiccups here. So there's been some delay in my responding to your
    message.

    It appears that you're exactly right about where the limitations are.
    I bought the combination USB2/Firewire case because I envisaged the
    possibility of streaming data from a video camera to the laptop using
    the firewire port, while having the external storage accessible via
    the USB2 port. Under these circumstances this isn't going to work.
    So, I think I'll get the case swapped for one that does function as
    expected.
    Thanks very much for the advice.
    --
    Lila Duncan

    Drop the EGG to mail me

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:54:52 GMT, "Alexander Grigoriev"
    <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Firmware inside the drive enclosure must be able to handle BigATA drives
    >(over 137 GB). It should be explicitly stated in the drive enclosure
    >specifications. If it doesn't say so, you won't be able to use a big drive.

    The spec, as available on the sales web pages was not that thorough.
    There was no indication of any size limitations though, so I'll send
    the case back to the supplier.
    --
    Lila Duncan

    Drop the EGG to mail me