Uninstall Dual Boot 98/W2K

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hello--

I would like to remove the dual boot I have and use only W2K. I know
the steps to do this (see email below please), hoever I cannot find
any file named "boot.ini" on my machine. I am looking while booted to
W2K.

ANy suggestions???

Your help is much appreciated.
Chris

> I have a PII packard Bell PC which came with Win 98SE.
> Then I got Win2K and installed it on the same drive.
> This gave me Dual Boot Option.
> Now I am done with 98 and would like to go back to Single Boot on the
> Win 2K.
> How do I achieve this?

Delete your c:\windows directory. (or just rename it first, and
then
once you're comfortable that you need nothing from there delete it)

Edit your c:\boot.ini file to remove the option to boot to Win98.
(It's
a hidden file)

"Chris" <chuber@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello--
>
> I would like to remove the dual boot I have and use only W2K. I know
> the steps to do this (see email below please), hoever I cannot find
> any file named "boot.ini" on my machine. I am looking while booted to
> W2K.
>
> ANy suggestions???
>
> Your help is much appreciated.
> Chris

Is all of this on the same partition (fat32)? I cant say just deleting the
windows directory is really how you go about doing these things.. Anyhow

When booted into win2k then boot.ini is found on c:\ drive..
Just simply type in the run box "Edit C:\Boot.Ini"

> > I have a PII packard Bell PC which came with Win 98SE.
> > Then I got Win2K and installed it on the same drive.
> > This gave me Dual Boot Option.
> > Now I am done with 98 and would like to go back to Single Boot on the
> > Win 2K.
> > How do I achieve this?
>

> Delete your c:\windows directory. (or just rename it first, and
> then
> once you're comfortable that you need nothing from there delete it)
>
> Edit your c:\boot.ini file to remove the option to boot to Win98.
> (It's
> a hidden file)

[This followup was posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

In article <602acdb2.0404232349.10d90c42@posting.google.com>,
chuber@yahoo.com says...
> Hello--
>
> I would like to remove the dual boot I have and use only W2K. I know
> the steps to do this (see email below please), hoever I cannot find
> any file named "boot.ini" on my machine. I am looking while booted to
> W2K.

From Start/Run or a command prompt, type:
ATTRIB -R-S-H C:\BOOT.INI

That should make it visible so you can edit it.

You don't HAVE to edit BOOT.INI. It will just remove the boot menu when
you turn on the computer. You can get a similar effect by doing this:
Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/System. Go to the Advanced tab, then
click on 'Startup and Recovery'. Change the 'Default Operating System' to
"Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
Either uncheck the option for 'Display list of operating systems' or
reduce the timeout to something small.

While on that page, you may also want to change the option for 'Write
Debugging Information' to '(none)' to save disk space. After that, search
for any MEMORY.DMP files and delete them.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

TRENDING THREADS