valerie

i am looking to purchase a dvd burner and am a little
confused between dvd - and dvd + i have seen one that i
am considering purchasing and it says it is good for dvd-
and dvd+ unfortunately the person in the store was new
and alone and not very hepfull. could someone please
assist with this. tka val./

peter

look here
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

Your best bet is to buy a burner that burns in all formats
or
wait awhile for the new DVD burners to come out that write to 9gb disks....
peter
"valerie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i am looking to purchase a dvd burner and am a little
> confused between dvd - and dvd + i have seen one that i
> am considering purchasing and it says it is good for dvd-
> and dvd+ unfortunately the person in the store was new
> and alone and not very hepfull. could someone please
> assist with this. tka val./

Damien

I'd assume your buying this to either make your home videos into DVD's for archival purposesor to copy your OWNED dvd's. In either is the case, go to www.dvdrhelp.com and find the link for dvd compatibility. you will input the model of your stand-alone dvd player and it will tell you, from others experianences, which format works with your specific machine. I agree strongly with the other poster that a dual format writing DVD/RW is best. I personally recommend the Lite-On 811s because of it's bitsetting availability - you can make your home made DVD's be read as DVD-ROM like store bought - much less compatibility problems.