Is external HDD performing at USB2 ?

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 24, 2004 10:22:12 PM

Win2000ProSP4
Laptop was only USB1. Needed additional HDD capacity so I got an Addonics
Cardbus adapter for USB2 and a USB2 external HDD. Both components got
automatically detected without Windows asking for new drivers. I then
formatted the external HDD for NTFS and began copying enormous database
files onto it from the laptops internal HDD. Copying is progressing slowly.

Observations in Device Manager:

1) Under PCMCIA adapters, I do *not* see a device for Addonics, but instead
see two nearly identicle listings for Texas Instruments PCI420 CardBus
Controller. One is described for function 0 and the other for function 1
(??).

2) Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, I see two nearly identicle
listings for NEC PCI Open Host Controller.Again one is described for
function 0 and the other for function 1 (??). There is also a listing there
named USB 2.0 Root Hub, and thre named USB Root Hub.

Why no detection of the Addonics adapter? How do I know whether copying is
occurring at USB1 or USB2?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 25, 2004 4:40:20 AM

In article <ofyic.3134$t26.2279864
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, nobody@nowhere.net says...
> Win2000ProSP4
> Laptop was only USB1. Needed additional HDD capacity so I got an Addonics
> Cardbus adapter for USB2 and a USB2 external HDD. Both components got
> automatically detected without Windows asking for new drivers. I then
> formatted the external HDD for NTFS and began copying enormous database
> files onto it from the laptops internal HDD. Copying is progressing slowly.
>
> Observations in Device Manager:
>
> 1) Under PCMCIA adapters, I do *not* see a device for Addonics, but instead
> see two nearly identicle listings for Texas Instruments PCI420 CardBus
> Controller. One is described for function 0 and the other for function 1
> (??).
>
> 2) Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, I see two nearly identicle
> listings for NEC PCI Open Host Controller.Again one is described for
> function 0 and the other for function 1 (??). There is also a listing there
> named USB 2.0 Root Hub, and thre named USB Root Hub.
>
> Why no detection of the Addonics adapter? How do I know whether copying is
> occurring at USB1 or USB2?

Pop open Performance Monitor, add counters for Physical
Disk, Bytes/sec. If you see rates of 400-800KB/s, then
it's USB1, if you see rates 10x higher (4-12MB/s) it's
USB2.

Off-hand, I don't remember how fast PCMCIA slots are and
what their transfer rate is.
!