Is external HDD performing at USB2 ?

Win2000ProSP4
Laptop was only USB1. Needed additional HDD capacity so I got an Addonics
Cardbus adapter for USB2 and a USB2 external HDD. Both components got
automatically detected without Windows asking for new drivers. I then
formatted the external HDD for NTFS and began copying enormous database
files onto it from the laptops internal HDD. Copying is progressing slowly.

Observations in Device Manager:

1) Under PCMCIA adapters, I do *not* see a device for Addonics, but instead
see two nearly identicle listings for Texas Instruments PCI420 CardBus
Controller. One is described for function 0 and the other for function 1
(??).

2) Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, I see two nearly identicle
listings for NEC PCI Open Host Controller.Again one is described for
function 0 and the other for function 1 (??). There is also a listing there
named USB 2.0 Root Hub, and thre named USB Root Hub.

Why no detection of the Addonics adapter? How do I know whether copying is
occurring at USB1 or USB2?
1 answer Last reply
More about external performing usb2

    In article <ofyic.3134$t26.2279864
    @news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, nobody@nowhere.net says...
    > Win2000ProSP4
    > Laptop was only USB1. Needed additional HDD capacity so I got an Addonics
    > Cardbus adapter for USB2 and a USB2 external HDD. Both components got
    > automatically detected without Windows asking for new drivers. I then
    > formatted the external HDD for NTFS and began copying enormous database
    > files onto it from the laptops internal HDD. Copying is progressing slowly.
    >
    > Observations in Device Manager:
    >
    > 1) Under PCMCIA adapters, I do *not* see a device for Addonics, but instead
    > see two nearly identicle listings for Texas Instruments PCI420 CardBus
    > Controller. One is described for function 0 and the other for function 1
    > (??).
    >
    > 2) Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, I see two nearly identicle
    > listings for NEC PCI Open Host Controller.Again one is described for
    > function 0 and the other for function 1 (??). There is also a listing there
    > named USB 2.0 Root Hub, and thre named USB Root Hub.
    >
    > Why no detection of the Addonics adapter? How do I know whether copying is
    > occurring at USB1 or USB2?

    Pop open Performance Monitor, add counters for Physical
    Disk, Bytes/sec. If you see rates of 400-800KB/s, then
    it's USB1, if you see rates 10x higher (4-12MB/s) it's
    USB2.

    Off-hand, I don't remember how fast PCMCIA slots are and
    what their transfer rate is.

Hard Drives External Hard Drive Storage