Bad Sector Retesting tool for NTFS?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 25, 2004 12:18:03 AM

April 25, 2004 5:50:22 PM

PartitionMagic can do a bad sector re-test.

--
Joep

"Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan@Shezza.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 25, 2004 5:50:23 PM

In article <31856$408ba680$3eddca68$19977@nf3.news-service-com>,
Joep <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote:
>PartitionMagic can do a bad sector re-test.
>
>--
>Joep
>

>"Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan@Shezza.org> wrote in message

It seems to me that the bad sector table is hidden below the file
system. If a block becomes marginal (ECC and retry get good data but
exceed some threashold) the data is copied to a spare block, and the
marginal sector is added to a list you can't see without running
special diagnostic tools. Is there something I'm missing ?

If a sector suddenly goes completely bad then you will be able to
copy every file except the one with the bad block. XCOPY /C should
bypass any file that can't be read, except that I'be seen a disk
retry endlessly and effectivly hang even with /C.

If a disk is seriously degrading it's possible to fill up the spare
sector table.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

> It seems to me that the bad sector table is hidden below the file
> system. If a block becomes marginal (ECC and retry get good data but
> exceed some threashold) the data is copied to a spare block, and the
> marginal sector is added to a list you can't see without running
> special diagnostic tools. Is there something I'm missing ?

Yes, you are indeed missing something. Of course many drives come with an
internal defect management which can take a sector out of service and
replace it with a 'new' one (from a spare pool).

But that's not what OP is talking about: NTFS also keeps a bad block table,
and, after copying a disk to a *new disk the same blocks are flagged as
'bad'. So you may want to tell NTFS that *on this new disk* the areas maked
bad really aren't. PartitionMagic can do this.

--
Joep
Anonymous

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:18:03 +0100, "Sheridan Hutchinson"
<Sheridan@Shezza.org> wrote:

>How do I get XP to retest the sectors that have been marked out as
>bad but aren't?

Open "My Computer" and right click on the drive in question. Select
Properties, then Tools, then Error-checking. There is an option to
check for and recover bad sectors. You will need to reboot if this is
the system drive.

You can also boot from the XP install disks, select repair and them
select command line. Run chkdsk /? for the options avaliable. As I
recall, scan for and recover bad sectors is an option.

- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 26, 2004 1:13:17 AM

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 26, 2004 1:17:32 AM

April 26, 2004 5:57:37 PM

> Hi, thanks for your advice!
>
> I did check this option out, unfortunately the test can only be
> executed on a FAT partition :(
> - --

You got me there ;-)

--
Joep
Anonymous

In article <2579$408cf9b8$3eddca68$29160@nf3.news-service-com>,
Joep <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote:

>> Hi, thanks for your advice!
>>
>> I did check this option out, unfortunately the test can only be
>> executed on a FAT partition :(
>> - --
>
>You got me there ;-)
>
>--
>Joep

If you don't have any data on the disk the type of file system
shouldn't matter.

Can you blow the data away and use a low-level utility to update the
bad block table. Once you have mapped out the marginal secters are
remapped to good ones and a blockcopy utility like Ghost should work
becase the target disk looks perfect at that level.

I've booted a knoppix disk and run badblocks with several passed
to sniff out bad sectors.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message news:c6iv54$9qs$1@panix3.panix.com...
> In article <2579$408cf9b8$3eddca68$29160@nf3.news-service-com>,
> Joep <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, thanks for your advice!
> >>
> >> I did check this option out, unfortunately the test can only be
> >> executed on a FAT partition :(
> >> - --
> >
> > You got me there ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Joep
> >

> If you don't have any data on the disk the type of file system
> shouldn't matter.
>
> Can you blow the data away and use a low-level utility to update the
> bad block table.

And still he has no idea of what bad block table is referred to.
There are no bad sectors on the target! They were on his previous harddrive.

> Once you have mapped out the marginal secters are remapped to good
> ones and a blockcopy utility like Ghost should work becase the target
> disk looks perfect at that level.

The target drive is perfect already (hopefully).
Still will copy the not used socalled bad sectors in the source to perfectly
good sectors in the target where the filesystem will say that they are not used.
He wants them back in use (all 4k of them).

> I've booted a knoppix disk and run badblocks with several passed
> to sniff out bad sectors.

The 'socalled' bad sectors are in the image, get it?

> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m
April 26, 2004 10:06:02 PM

> If you don't have any data on the disk the type of file system
> shouldn't matter.

Again, you don't get it, READ first then waste bandwith! There IS data on
the disk why would one CLONE it if there wasn't? Since the $badclus meta
file is part of the NTFS file system, the file system DOES matter in this
case.

I KNOW you can have 'bad' sectors taken out of service and have them
replaced with spares (my own tool HD Workbench does this). However OP stated
NTFS recorded bad clusters in the $badclus meta file and it stays this way
EVEN when you take care of bad sectors on a lower level.

Also, OP already CLONED the disk, so bad sectors that existed on the source
do not exist on the DESTINATION, however they're still flagged as bad in the
$badclus meta file. If $badclus ALREADY contains references to bad clusters
then you are TO LATE to take care of them on a lower level!!!

BTW: Ghost is not a block copy utility.

--
Joep
Anonymous

In article <581ca$408d33ee$3eddca68$28907@nf3.news-service-com>,
Joep <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote:

>> If you don't have any data on the disk the type of file system
>> shouldn't matter.
>>

>Again, you don't get it, READ first then waste bandwith! There IS data on
>the disk why would one CLONE it if there wasn't? Since the $badclus meta
>file is part of the NTFS file system, the file system DOES matter in this
>case.
>
>I KNOW you can have 'bad' sectors taken out of service and have them
>replaced with spares (my own tool HD Workbench does this). However OP stated
>NTFS recorded bad clusters in the $badclus meta file and it stays this way
>EVEN when you take care of bad sectors on a lower level.
>
>Also, OP already CLONED the disk, so bad sectors that existed on the source
>do not exist on the DESTINATION, however they're still flagged as bad in the
>$badclus meta file. If $badclus ALREADY contains references to bad clusters
>then you are TO LATE to take care of them on a lower level!!!
>
>BTW: Ghost is not a block copy utility.
>
>--
>Joep

I said "if"....

If you are copying a filesystem with an NTFS-aware tool why would
it copy the metafile ? It's clearly never the right thing to do.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

> I said "if"....

Okay, then it's me, it confused me because you already made that point.

> If you are copying a filesystem with an NTFS-aware tool why would
> it copy the metafile ? It's clearly never the right thing to do.

This is true. I can not think of circumstances where it would be usefull to
copy the $badclus file. However, if not copied the $bitmap needs to be
updated as well as the bad clusters are flagged to be 'in use'. It'd be
probably a good idea if Symantec added this.

--
Joep
Anonymous

In article <622d$408d3f55$3eddca68$4990@nf3.news-service-com>,
Joep <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote:
>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I said "if"....
>>

>Okay, then it's me, it confused me because you already made that point.
>
>> If you are copying a filesystem with an NTFS-aware tool why would
>> it copy the metafile ? It's clearly never the right thing to do.
>>

>This is true. I can not think of circumstances where it would be usefull to
>copy the $badclus file. However, if not copied the $bitmap needs to be
>updated as well as the bad clusters are flagged to be 'in use'. It'd be
>probably a good idea if Symantec added this.

Now we're getting somewhere. I'd argue that you don't copy
the bitmap file, either, if the tool is NTFS-aware.

I'm going to spend time browsing

http://www.ntfs.com/

--
Al Dykes
-----------

"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote in message

> > If you are copying a filesystem with an NTFS-aware tool why would
> > it copy the metafile ? It's clearly never the right thing to do.
>
> This is true. I can not think of circumstances where it would be usefull to
> copy the $badclus file. However, if not copied the $bitmap needs to be
> updated as well as the bad clusters are flagged to be 'in use'. It'd be
> probably a good idea if Symantec added this.

The $bitmap file cannot be copied as the source and dest are usually different
sizes. I doubt if Ghost copies the $badclus file. What product did the OP use?
April 27, 2004 3:11:59 AM

Hmmm, if it's a 1 to 1 copy, why not?

--
Joep

> In article <622d$408d3f55$3eddca68$4990@nf3.news-service-com>,
> Joep <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote:
> >"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I said "if"....
> >>

> >Okay, then it's me, it confused me because you already made that point.
> >
> >> If you are copying a filesystem with an NTFS-aware tool why would
> >> it copy the metafile ? It's clearly never the right thing to do.
> >>

> >This is true. I can not think of circumstances where it would be usefull
> >copy the $badclus file. However, if not copied the $bitmap needs to be
> >updated as well as the bad clusters are flagged to be 'in use'. It'd be
> >probably a good idea if Symantec added this.
> >

> Now we're getting somewhere. I'd argue that you don't copy
> the bitmap file, either, if the tool is NTFS-aware.
>

> I'm going to spend time browsing
>
> http://www.ntfs.com/
>

> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m
April 27, 2004 3:27:01 AM

Think it was PM. Where PM is a sector oriented tool orignally, Ghost isn't.
So they will probably handle this in a different manner.

I can imagine you'd still copy the $bitmap even when resizing a partition on
the fly, all you'd have to do is modify the $bitmap to reflect the new size.
I'm not sure but I can imagine the $bitmap is a continguous file, so you may
need to reallocate it as well.

--
Joep

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote in message
> "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote in message
> >
> > > If you are copying a filesystem with an NTFS-aware tool why would
> > > it copy the metafile ? It's clearly never the right thing to do.
> >
> > This is true. I can not think of circumstances where it would be usefull
> > copy the $badclus file. However, if not copied the $bitmap needs to be
> > updated as well as the bad clusters are flagged to be 'in use'. It'd be
> > probably a good idea if Symantec added this.
> >
> The $bitmap file cannot be copied as the source and dest are usually
different
> sizes. I doubt if Ghost copies the $badclus file. What product did the OP
use?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 29, 2004 1:38:41 AM

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 1, 2004 6:53:37 AM

"Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan@Shezza.org> wrote in message news:<c6eeh9$ai2oo$1@ID-232150.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> Hi,
> I had a previous hard disk that had 4k worth of bad sectors. When I
> got my nice shiny new IBM replacement I cloned the entire thing
> across and resized the partition, but of course, it took with it the
> MFT and the "record" of the bad sectors.
>
> How do I get XP to retest the sectors that have been marked out as
> bad but aren't? Is there any 3rd party tool anyone knows of that
> could do this?

The only way to reset NTFS bad block list is explained at
http://www.bodden.de/misc/ntfsrecovery/

Partition Magic, Windows' chkdsk, etc can't do it, as you also already
experienced.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 1, 2004 12:07:08 PM

If someone wants to experiment, open the volume with dskprobe. View the boot
sector as NTFS, go to the MFT, and read 10 sectors. Sector 8 should be the
$badclus record. Zero the first few bytes and run chkdsk /f. I know chkdsk
will rebuild $bitmap, so it should also do $badclus.

"Sz. Csetey" <szcs@abuse.co.uk> wrote in message

> The only way to reset NTFS bad block list is explained at
> http://www.bodden.de/misc/ntfsrecovery/
>
> Partition Magic, Windows' chkdsk, etc can't do it, as you also already
> experienced.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 2, 2004 2:01:06 PM

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote in message
> If someone wants to experiment, open the volume with dskprobe. View the boot
> sector as NTFS, go to the MFT, and read 10 sectors. Sector 8 should be the
> $badclus record. Zero the first few bytes and run chkdsk /f. I know chkdsk
> will rebuild $bitmap, so it should also do $badclus.

One sector is 512 bytes and one MFT record is 1024 bytes. $badclus is
the 9th MFT record or 8th if we start counting at 0. Thus the
instructions aren't correct. But actually this doesn't really matter
since the MFT records aren't necessarily placed consecutively and in
this situation one could just delete totally unrelated data randomly
if followed the advices.

The modified, free open source tool below does reset the NTFS bad
block list at the right place.

> > The only way to reset NTFS bad block list is explained at
> > http://www.bodden.de/misc/ntfsrecovery/
> >
> > Partition Magic, Windows' chkdsk, etc can't do it, as you also already
> > experienced.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 2, 2004 4:02:21 PM

> "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote in message
> > If someone wants to experiment, open the volume with dskprobe. View the
boot
> > sector as NTFS, go to the MFT, and read 10 sectors. Sector 8 should be the
> > $badclus record. Zero the first few bytes and run chkdsk /f. I know chkdsk
> > will rebuild $bitmap, so it should also do $badclus.
>
> One sector is 512 bytes and one MFT record is 1024 bytes. $badclus is
> the 9th MFT record or 8th if we start counting at 0. Thus the
> instructions aren't correct. But actually this doesn't really matter
> since the MFT records aren't necessarily placed consecutively and in
> this situation one could just delete totally unrelated data randomly
> if followed the advices.

OK, I confused records and sectors. Record 8, or sector 16, under Win 2K3.
It's pretty obvious were the name is in there. Everyone should learn dskprobe,
and find their way to FATs and MFTs.

> The modified, free open source tool below does reset the NTFS bad
> block list at the right place.

But you have to patch and build a Linux utility. Most NT users don't have a
full Linux install.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 3, 2004 10:05:54 AM

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote in message
> > The modified, free open source tool below does reset the NTFS bad
> > block list at the right place.
> >
> But you have to patch and build a Linux utility. Most NT users don't have a
> full Linux install.

Quoting from http://www.bodden.de/misc/ntfsrecovery/ referred twice
earlier:

1) [...] go to e.g. Knoppix.de and get yourself a Linux
that boots entirely from CD-ROM.

2) Download a pre-patched version of the ntfs tools here
and extract it.

In other words, you don't need to patch, you don't need to build the
utility and you don't need Linux installed.

There are many Linux live distros that boot and run only in RAM from a
floppy, cd, dvd, usb keys, etc. Actually most of the very low level
recovery, filesystem manipulation tools work the same way: they don't
use the the installed OS because it can use, lock critical files and
the files either can't be safely modified or modofocation is denied by
the installed OS.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 5, 2004 10:09:28 AM

May 28, 2004 11:43:34 AM

Does anyone know of any less complex way to solve this problem?

> "Sz. Csetey" <szcs@abuse.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan@Shezza.org> wrote in message
> > > How do I get XP to retest the sectors that have been marked out
> > > as bad but aren't? Is there any 3rd party tool anyone knows of
> > > that could do this?
> >
> > The only way to reset NTFS bad block list is explained at
> > http://www.bodden.de/misc/ntfsrecovery/
>
> Thank you very much! This is just what I've been looking for!
>
> - --
> Regards,
> Sheridan Hutchinson
> Sheridan@Shezza.org or ICQ# 332-123-498

---
a b G Storage
May 28, 2004 1:59:48 PM

In article <2honidFfgu7jU1@uni-berlin.de>, Jim <comex@excite.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know of any less complex way to solve this problem?
>
>"Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan@Shezza.org> wrote in message

>> "Sz. Csetey" <szcs@abuse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > "Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan@Shezza.org> wrote in message
>> >
>> > The only way to reset NTFS bad block list is explained at
>> > http://www.bodden.de/misc/ntfsrecovery/
>>
>> Thank you very much! This is just what I've been looking for!
>>
>> - --
>> Regards,
>> Sheridan Hutchinson
>> Sheridan@Shezza.org or ICQ# 332-123-498

FWIW I just had an unreadable block reported by my image backup
software (acronis trueimage). A chkdsk /R found the block and mapped
it out with no loss of data.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Interesting, especially so in that my issue concerns Acronis TrueImage 7.0,
which you say maps out the bad sectors. I did a chkdsk /r prior to creating
an image using Acronis and yet TrueImage copied the same 44 KB in bad
sectors to the cloned new drive which I verified as having no bad sectors.
The bad sectors are reported after doing a chkdsk from the command prompt,
but do not show if I run tests on the hard drive using the manufacturers
check disking software. In other words, the 44KB in bad sectors reflects
only on the restored image, not on the hard disk itself.

> In article <2honidFfgu7jU1@uni-berlin.de>, Jim <comex@excite.com> wrote:
> >Does anyone know of any less complex way to solve this problem?
> >
> >"Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan@Shezza.org> wrote in message

> >> "Sz. Csetey" <szcs@abuse.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> Thank you very much! This is just what I've been looking for!
> >>
> >> - --
> >> Regards,
> >> Sheridan Hutchinson
> >> Sheridan@Shezza.org or ICQ# 332-123-498
> >>
> FWIW I just had an unreadable block reported by my image backup
> software (acronis trueimage). A chkdsk /R found the block and mapped
> it out with no loss of data.
> --
> Al Dykes
a b G Storage
May 30, 2004 1:19:33 PM

In article <2htpmkFgqqakU1@uni-berlin.de>, Jim <comex@excite.com> wrote:
>Interesting, especially so in that my issue concerns Acronis TrueImage 7.0,
>which you say maps out the bad sectors. I did a chkdsk /r prior to creating
>an image using Acronis and yet TrueImage copied the same 44 KB in bad
>sectors to the cloned new drive which I verified as having no bad sectors.
>The bad sectors are reported after doing a chkdsk from the command prompt,
>but do not show if I run tests on the hard drive using the manufacturers
>check disking software. In other words, the 44KB in bad sectors reflects
>only on the restored image, not on the hard disk itself.

I didn't say that TI maps out bad sectors. It "found one".

chkdsk /r found and fixed it.

Send the logs into support ? I had a nice discussion with Acronis
support (via email). It took a few days to respond to the initial
message but fater that it was next-day response.

>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <2honidFfgu7jU1@uni-berlin.de>, Jim <comex@excite.com> wrote:
>> >Does anyone know of any less complex way to solve this problem?
>> >
>> >"Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan@Shezza.org> wrote in message

>> FWIW I just had an unreadable block reported by my image backup
>> software (acronis trueimage). A chkdsk /R found the block and mapped
>> it out with no loss of data.
>> --
>> Al Dykes

Al Dykes
-----------
adykes at p a n i x . c o m
May 31, 2004 12:20:16 AM

I sent the log into Acronis, but tech support is virtually non-existent.
With Acronis you're basically on your own (of course that's probably true
with other vendors as well). I've been advised that Ghost will map out the
bad sectors and give an accurate chkdsk -- is this true? This is a minor
annoyance but one which one would think could be addressed by some creative
programming.

> In article <2htpmkFgqqakU1@uni-berlin.de>, Jim <comex@excite.com> wrote:
> >Interesting, especially so in that my issue concerns Acronis TrueImage
7.0,
> >which you say maps out the bad sectors. I did a chkdsk /r prior to
creating
> >an image using Acronis and yet TrueImage copied the same 44 KB in bad
> >sectors to the cloned new drive which I verified as having no bad
sectors.
> >The bad sectors are reported after doing a chkdsk from the command
prompt,
> >but do not show if I run tests on the hard drive using the manufacturers
> >check disking software. In other words, the 44KB in bad sectors reflects
> >only on the restored image, not on the hard disk itself.
>
> I didn't say that TI maps out bad sectors. It "found one".
>
> chkdsk /r found and fixed it.
>
> Send the logs into support ? I had a nice discussion with Acronis
> support (via email). It took a few days to respond to the initial
> message but fater that it was next-day response.
>

> >"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message

> >> FWIW I just had an unreadable block reported by my image backup
> >> software (acronis trueimage). A chkdsk /R found the block and mapped
> >> it out with no loss of data.
> >> --
> >> Al Dykes

> Al Dykes
January 29, 2011 5:08:37 PM

I wouldn't ordinarily resurrect a 6 month old thread BUT...

I figured you'd all want to know I found a boot CD that can reset the NTFS bad sector list (at last!). It's a commercial product (about 50 euros) but as far as I can tell the demo isn't crippled in any way. The user interface is not for the feint of heart but it works a treat for this (just accept all the defaults and choose the 50 line display!)...

http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/download.php

It looks like it does far FAR more than that too so it may be worth the asking price if you want a very powerful low level (yet filesystem aware) disk utility.

Roger.
October 28, 2011 1:47:55 PM

Since I searched about 2 days to find a solution for a n00b:

(From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730714.asp...)

CHKDSK /B

/b NTFS only: Clears the list of bad clusters on the volume and rescans all allocated and free clusters for errors. /b includes the functionality of /r. Use this parameter after imaging a volume to a new hard disk drive.

It exists on Vista SP1 through the current Win7 release.
!