External USB HD speed??

Hello All, just picked up a SimpleTech 160 GB 7200rpm USB 2.0 External. I'm
getting about 11MB transfer rate. I DO have a 2.0 card. What is the deal
with USB transfer rates? I didn't expect to see 480MB, but I did expect to
see something faster than this. I have a pretty speedy AMD 3000+ tweaked
system.

Thanks

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net
7 answers Last reply
More about external speed

    Jay Phillips wrote:

    > Hello All, just picked up a SimpleTech 160 GB 7200rpm USB 2.0 External. I'm
    > getting about 11MB transfer rate. I DO have a 2.0 card. What is the deal
    > with USB transfer rates? I didn't expect to see 480MB, but I did expect to
    > see something faster than this. I have a pretty speedy AMD 3000+ tweaked
    > system.

    11MB/sec is a bit on the slow end for a USB 2.0 drive, but it's not out
    of the question. It's definately faster than anything you could
    achieve with USB 1.x.

    The max theoretical speed of USB 2.0 is 480Mb/sec, which would equal
    60MB/sec. In real life, I doubt you'd see anything achieving much
    faster than 30MB/sec.

    -WD

    "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:C3Ric.13390$3_1.5971@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    > Jay Phillips wrote:
    >
    > > Hello All, just picked up a SimpleTech 160 GB 7200rpm USB 2.0 External. I'm
    > > getting about 11MB transfer rate. I DO have a 2.0 card. What is the deal
    > > with USB transfer rates? I didn't expect to see 480MB, but I did expect to
    > > see something faster than this. I have a pretty speedy AMD 3000+ tweaked
    > > system.
    >
    > 11MB/sec is a bit on the slow end for a USB 2.0 drive, but it's not out
    > of the question. It's definately faster than anything you could
    > achieve with USB 1.x.
    >
    > The max theoretical speed of USB 2.0 is 480Mb/sec, which would equal
    > 60MB/sec.

    Nope, 480Mb/s NE 60MB/s.

    > In real life, I doubt you'd see anything achieving much faster than 30MB/sec.

    How fortunate for you that you said "doubt" in stead of "bet".

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:C3Ric.13390$3_1.5971@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    >
    >>The max theoretical speed of USB 2.0 is 480Mb/sec, which would equal
    >>60MB/sec.
    >

    > Nope, 480Mb/s NE 60MB/s.

    Read the specs.
    http://www.usb.org/developers/docs

    It's 60MB/sec.

    -WD

    In article <RpudnS3yeO14IxbdRVn-jg@comcast.com>, "Jay Phillips"
    <@shooter@writeme.com> says...
    > Hello All, just picked up a SimpleTech 160 GB 7200rpm USB 2.0 External. I'm
    > getting about 11MB transfer rate. I DO have a 2.0 card. What is the deal
    > with USB transfer rates? I didn't expect to see 480MB, but I did expect to
    > see something faster than this. I have a pretty speedy AMD 3000+ tweaked
    > system.

    Hi,

    I have some USB 2 Maxtor external HD. Copying from one to another can
    get up to 18 MB / s.

    --
    ICQ# 114297372

    "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:FLYic.14737$3_1.346@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    > Folkert Rienstra wrote:
    >
    > > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:C3Ric.13390$3_1.5971@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    > >
    > > > The max theoretical speed of USB 2.0 is 480Mb/sec, which
    > > > would equal 60MB/sec.
    > >

    > > Nope, 480Mb/s NE 60MB/s.
    >

    > Read the specs.

    Read them yourself. Obviously you can't.

    > http://www.usb.org/developers/docs

    Specs usually don't list empyrical or real world
    data, it would be quite surprising if this one did.

    > It's 60MB/sec.

    Which obviously includes all protocol and command overhead.
    User available data rate as measured by benchmarks will be
    much less than that.

    This has been told many times but you are totally incapable
    of 'getting a clue', aren't you Will.

    The thread "Serial ATA: Is it 1.5Gbps or 150MBps?"
    wooshed right by you:

    "SATA is currently 150MB/sec. 1.5Gb/sec is just wrong."

    And that 1.5Gb/sec even *was* in the specs for everyone to read.

    "Jay Phillips" <@shooter@writeme.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All, just picked up a SimpleTech 160 GB 7200rpm USB 2.0 External.
    I'm
    > getting about 11MB transfer rate. I DO have a 2.0 card. What is the deal
    > with USB transfer rates? I didn't expect to see 480MB, but I did expect to
    > see something faster than this. I have a pretty speedy AMD 3000+ tweaked
    > system.

    For info...

    SiSoft Sandra says this about my USB 2.0 drive which is a WD 120 GByte
    8MByte cache model.
    (My USB 2.0 port is provided by a PCI card using the NEC chip)

    All are MByte/s...

    Buffered Read 17
    Sequential Read 14
    Random Read 4

    Buffered Write 14
    Sequential Write 14
    Random Write 8

    Thanks for all the input guys..I'm getting about 12 to 14MB's now (don't
    know why it peaked) I guess it's not bad for $128.00..It will serve my
    purpose..

    Peace

    > "Jay Phillips" <@shooter@writeme.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello All, just picked up a SimpleTech 160 GB 7200rpm USB 2.0 External.
    > I'm
    > > getting about 11MB transfer rate. I DO have a 2.0 card. What is the deal
    > > with USB transfer rates? I didn't expect to see 480MB, but I did expect
    > > see something faster than this. I have a pretty speedy AMD 3000+ tweaked
    > > system.
    > >

    > For info...
    >
    > SiSoft Sandra says this about my USB 2.0 drive which is a WD 120 GByte
    > 8MByte cache model.
    > (My USB 2.0 port is provided by a PCI card using the NEC chip)
    >
    > All are MByte/s...
    >
    > Buffered Read 17
    > Sequential Read 14
    > Random Read 4