Is it normal for my Samsung 17" CRT monitor to still creat..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hello.

Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
11 answers Last reply
More about normal samsung monitor creat

    /Ant/ said:

    > Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
    > create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
    > thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
    > button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
    > still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
    > not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
    > MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.

    In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
    powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
    instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

    On 4/3/2004 6:36 AM PT, dev wrote:

    >>Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
    >>create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
    >>thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
    >>button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
    >>still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
    >>not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
    >>MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
    >
    > In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
    > powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
    > instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.

    Mine blinks (every two seconds) green lights during snoozing mode (after
    two hours of idleness).

    I looked at the monitor's thick Getting Started manual (includes many
    foreign languages), and it mentioned nothing about power saving modes.
    How dumb. :(

    I did notice the manual said monitor driver and even a CD-ROM is
    included for it. I do recall installing it years ago, but I noticed
    Windows XP said "Default Monitor (winseset) on ALL-IN-WONDER 9800
    SERIES" (dated 11/11/2002 from MS). Do you think this is a problem?
    Also, I forgot to mention that I use a Belkin KVM (2-ports) but I don't
    think this should be a problem.

    The monitor does work well and does sleep. It does take a while to come
    back from its snooze mode as if I turned it off.
    --

    /Ant/ said:

    > On 4/3/2004 6:36 AM PT, dev wrote:
    >

    >>>Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
    >>>create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
    >>>thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
    >>>button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
    >>>still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
    >>>not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
    >>>MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
    >>
    >>In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
    >>powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
    >>instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.
    >
    > Mine blinks (every two seconds) green lights during snoozing mode (after
    > two hours of idleness).
    >
    > I looked at the monitor's thick Getting Started manual (includes many
    > foreign languages), and it mentioned nothing about power saving modes.
    > How dumb. :(
    >
    > I did notice the manual said monitor driver and even a CD-ROM is
    > included for it. I do recall installing it years ago, but I noticed
    > Windows XP said "Default Monitor (winseset) on ALL-IN-WONDER 9800
    > SERIES" (dated 11/11/2002 from MS). Do you think this is a problem?
    > Also, I forgot to mention that I use a Belkin KVM (2-ports) but I don't
    > think this should be a problem.
    >
    > The monitor does work well and does sleep. It does take a while to come
    > back from its snooze mode as if I turned it off.

    Strikes me as normal operation...and what I see here when monitor awakens.

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
    http://support.microsoft.com
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    >>> Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
    >>> create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
    >>> thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
    >>> button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
    >>> still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I
    >>> do not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW
    >>> (128 MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
    >>
    >> In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
    >> powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
    >> instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.
    >
    > Mine blinks (every two seconds) green lights during snoozing mode (after
    > two hours of idleness).
    >
    > I looked at the monitor's thick Getting Started manual (includes many
    > foreign languages), and it mentioned nothing about power saving modes.
    > How dumb. :(
    >
    > I did notice the manual said monitor driver and even a CD-ROM is
    > included for it. I do recall installing it years ago, but I noticed
    > Windows XP said "Default Monitor (winseset) on ALL-IN-WONDER 9800
    > SERIES" (dated 11/11/2002 from MS). Do you think this is a problem?
    > Also, I forgot to mention that I use a Belkin KVM (2-ports) but I don't
    > think this should be a problem.
    >
    > The monitor does work well and does sleep. It does take a while to come
    > back from its snooze mode as if I turned it off.

    One more thing: It is also hooked up to an APC UPS (Back-UPS 650), but
    then I doubt this make a difference.
    --
    "I'm not a worker ant. I'm like a queen. Or maybe a king. But you never
    hear of king ants." --Sean Bentley
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    On 4/3/2004 6:58 AM PT, dev wrote:

    >>>In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
    >>>powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
    >>>instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.
    >>
    >>Mine blinks (every two seconds) green lights during snoozing mode (after
    >>two hours of idleness).
    >>
    >>I looked at the monitor's thick Getting Started manual (includes many
    >>foreign languages), and it mentioned nothing about power saving modes.
    >>How dumb. :(
    >>
    >>I did notice the manual said monitor driver and even a CD-ROM is
    >>included for it. I do recall installing it years ago, but I noticed
    >>Windows XP said "Default Monitor (winseset) on ALL-IN-WONDER 9800
    >>SERIES" (dated 11/11/2002 from MS). Do you think this is a problem?
    >>Also, I forgot to mention that I use a Belkin KVM (2-ports) but I don't
    >>think this should be a problem.
    >>
    >>The monitor does work well and does sleep. It does take a while to come
    >>back from its snooze mode as if I turned it off.
    >
    > Strikes me as normal operation...and what I see here when monitor awakens.

    Yeah, it is. It is just the heat part sounds strange. I woke up and my
    room was really warm. I touched the monitor's top (vents) and it was
    warm. I fell asleep after midnight and woke up at about 5am. That should
    be enough to cool down, don't you think? I have seen this happened a few
    times in the past with monitoring going to sleep by itself. My room is
    currently at about 77 degrees(F).

    I found the PDF manual:
    http://www.samsungusa.com/SamsungUSA/DOWNLOAD/20030104/765MB.pdf ... On
    page 46, it says blinking green is in power-off mode EPA/ENERGY 2000 at
    less than 2.6W. Weird.

    Oh well, maybe I should just ignore it. :I
    --
    "I'm not a worker ant. I'm like a queen. Or maybe a king. But you never
    hear of king ants." --Sean Bentley
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I believe you are experiencing normal behavior. One thing you can do is go
    to samsung's web-site and download the XP driver for your monitor. I've had
    my current Sony CPD-200SX since 1996 and it produces heat when it sleeps.
    My girlfriend's Dell monitor does the same thing. The home office is nice
    and toastie in the morning...

    - carl

    "Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
    > create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
    > thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
    > button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
    > still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
    > not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
    > MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
    > what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
    > queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
    > ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    > | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    > \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    > ( )
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    The monitor is only off when you physically press the on/off switch to turn
    it off. Otherwise it is in power saving mode, and uses a small amount of
    current to keep the filament of the CRT warmed up. This allows you to see
    video a lot faster than if you were to turn the monitor fully off.

    Hint: T.V. sets have had this feature for 20-30 years now. It's nothing new!
    It used to be called "Instant On", when it was a new feature. Now they all
    have it so it is not even mentioned any longer.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
    > create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
    > thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
    > button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is still
    > very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do not use
    > any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) and
    > Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
    > what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
    > queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
    > ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    > | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    > \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    > ( )
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I wouldn't worry about the monitor. There are many sources of heat, the
    monitor is only one. A fast CPU can burn your hand, or start a fire
    when not properly cooled. Athlon's run hotter than Pentiums. The
    exhaust fans are constantly putting out warm air, that's their function.
    The Radeon 9800 has a fan on it, that's because it runs hot. Do you
    have a powered Subwoofer? If so, put your hand on it. My Klipsch can
    heat a small room all by itself.

    Also, open the case and thoroughly clean the dust from inside the
    computer a couple times a year.

    Bob

    "Vagabond Software" <carlfenley-X-@-X-san.rr.com> wrote in message
    | I believe you are experiencing normal behavior. One thing you can do
    is go
    | to samsung's web-site and download the XP driver for your monitor.
    I've had
    | my current Sony CPD-200SX since 1996 and it produces heat when it
    sleeps.
    | My girlfriend's Dell monitor does the same thing. The home office is
    nice
    | and toastie in the morning...
    |
    | - carl
    |
    | "Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
    | > Hello.
    | >
    | > Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to
    still
    | > create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management?
    | > thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
    | > button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
    | > still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I
    do
    | > not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW
    (128
    | > MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
    | >
    | > Thank you in advance. :)
    | > --
    | > "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You
    know
    | > what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes,
    the
    | > queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These
    things
    | > ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
    | > /\___/\
    | > / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm:
    http://antfarm.ma.cx
    ANTant@zimage.com
    | > \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a
    newsgroup.
    | > ( )

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    "Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
    > create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
    > thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
    > button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is still
    > very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do not use
    > any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) and
    > Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
    > what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
    > queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
    > ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    > | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    > \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    > ( )

    No that is definitely not normal.
    Your monitor is faulty.
    It may be pssoible to unpluf it for a few hours to drain the capacitors,
    clean the dust off the ventilation slots on the top and back, and then turn
    it back on. But not likely.
    If it is a new monitor or a monitor less than a year old (still under
    warranty) it needs to be replaced.

    --
    kwoyach[SPAM]@yahoo[SPAM].com
    TO Email: Remove [SPAM]

    --

    **Useful Links**
    AdAware:

    On 4/3/2004 6:25 AM PT, wojo wrote:

    >>Hello.
    >>
    >>Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
    >>create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
    >>thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
    >>button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is still
    >>very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do not use
    >>any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) and
    >>Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
    >>
    >>Thank you in advance. :)
    >
    > No that is definitely not normal.
    > Your monitor is faulty.
    > It may be pssoible to unpluf it for a few hours to drain the capacitors,
    > clean the dust off the ventilation slots on the top and back, and then turn
    > it back on. But not likely.
    > If it is a new monitor or a monitor less than a year old (still under
    > warranty) it needs to be replaced.

    Thanks for the very quick response. Rats, I wished I had noticed it
    earlier. I have had this monitor since July 2002. I only use the power
    saving mode (sleep) when I forgot to turn off the monitor manually
    because I fell asleep which is rare. :)
    --
    "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
    what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
    queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
    ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    On 4/3/2004 1:18 PM PT, Bob Gibson wrote:

    > I wouldn't worry about the monitor. There are many sources of heat, the
    > monitor is only one. A fast CPU can burn your hand, or start a fire
    > when not properly cooled. Athlon's run hotter than Pentiums. The
    > exhaust fans are constantly putting out warm air, that's their function.
    > The Radeon 9800 has a fan on it, that's because it runs hot. Do you
    > have a powered Subwoofer? If so, put your hand on it. My Klipsch can
    > heat a small room all by itself.

    Yup Klispch ProMedia v2-400 (original ones). However, turning off
    monitor vs. putting monitor to sleep makes a difference in my room
    especially during the heat waves in Southern CA. :)

    > Also, open the case and thoroughly clean the dust from inside the
    > computer a couple times a year.

    Yeah, I do this once a year or so every time I do a major computer
    upgrade. Darn dust bunnies.
    --
    "Trivial hurts, tiny human accidents," said Firenze, as his hooves
    thudded over the mossy floor. "These are of no more significance than
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

Video Microsoft CRT Monitors Windows XP