Is it normal for my Samsung 17" CRT monitor to still creat..

April 3, 2004 10:15:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hello.

Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
April 3, 2004 10:36:12 AM

/Ant/ said:

> Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
> create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
> thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
> button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
> still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
> not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
> MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.

In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

On 4/3/2004 6:36 AM PT, dev wrote:

>>Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
>>create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
>>thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
>>button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
>>still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
>>not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
>>MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
>
> In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
> powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
> instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.

Mine blinks (every two seconds) green lights during snoozing mode (after
two hours of idleness).

I looked at the monitor's thick Getting Started manual (includes many
foreign languages), and it mentioned nothing about power saving modes.
How dumb. :(

I did notice the manual said monitor driver and even a CD-ROM is
included for it. I do recall installing it years ago, but I noticed
Windows XP said "Default Monitor (winseset) on ALL-IN-WONDER 9800
SERIES" (dated 11/11/2002 from MS). Do you think this is a problem?
Also, I forgot to mention that I use a Belkin KVM (2-ports) but I don't
think this should be a problem.

The monitor does work well and does sleep. It does take a while to come
back from its snooze mode as if I turned it off.
--
"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
Related resources
April 3, 2004 10:58:48 AM

/Ant/ said:

> On 4/3/2004 6:36 AM PT, dev wrote:
>

>>>Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
>>>create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
>>>thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
>>>button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
>>>still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
>>>not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
>>>MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
>>
>>In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
>>powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
>>instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.
>
> Mine blinks (every two seconds) green lights during snoozing mode (after
> two hours of idleness).
>
> I looked at the monitor's thick Getting Started manual (includes many
> foreign languages), and it mentioned nothing about power saving modes.
> How dumb. :(
>
> I did notice the manual said monitor driver and even a CD-ROM is
> included for it. I do recall installing it years ago, but I noticed
> Windows XP said "Default Monitor (winseset) on ALL-IN-WONDER 9800
> SERIES" (dated 11/11/2002 from MS). Do you think this is a problem?
> Also, I forgot to mention that I use a Belkin KVM (2-ports) but I don't
> think this should be a problem.
>
> The monitor does work well and does sleep. It does take a while to come
> back from its snooze mode as if I turned it off.

Strikes me as normal operation...and what I see here when monitor awakens.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
http://support.microsoft.com
April 3, 2004 11:00:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

>>> Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
>>> create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
>>> thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
>>> button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
>>> still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I
>>> do not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW
>>> (128 MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
>>
>> In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
>> powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
>> instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.
>
> Mine blinks (every two seconds) green lights during snoozing mode (after
> two hours of idleness).
>
> I looked at the monitor's thick Getting Started manual (includes many
> foreign languages), and it mentioned nothing about power saving modes.
> How dumb. :(
>
> I did notice the manual said monitor driver and even a CD-ROM is
> included for it. I do recall installing it years ago, but I noticed
> Windows XP said "Default Monitor (winseset) on ALL-IN-WONDER 9800
> SERIES" (dated 11/11/2002 from MS). Do you think this is a problem?
> Also, I forgot to mention that I use a Belkin KVM (2-ports) but I don't
> think this should be a problem.
>
> The monitor does work well and does sleep. It does take a while to come
> back from its snooze mode as if I turned it off.

One more thing: It is also hooked up to an APC UPS (Back-UPS 650), but
then I doubt this make a difference.
--
"I'm not a worker ant. I'm like a queen. Or maybe a king. But you never
hear of king ants." --Sean Bentley
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
April 3, 2004 11:17:33 AM

On 4/3/2004 6:58 AM PT, dev wrote:

>>>In flashing yellow mode, the monitor is "snoozing", but not totally
>>>powered down. 3 to 5 watt consumption is typical. See the monitor
>>>instruction booklet for a more precise accounting.
>>
>>Mine blinks (every two seconds) green lights during snoozing mode (after
>>two hours of idleness).
>>
>>I looked at the monitor's thick Getting Started manual (includes many
>>foreign languages), and it mentioned nothing about power saving modes.
>>How dumb. :(
>>
>>I did notice the manual said monitor driver and even a CD-ROM is
>>included for it. I do recall installing it years ago, but I noticed
>>Windows XP said "Default Monitor (winseset) on ALL-IN-WONDER 9800
>>SERIES" (dated 11/11/2002 from MS). Do you think this is a problem?
>>Also, I forgot to mention that I use a Belkin KVM (2-ports) but I don't
>>think this should be a problem.
>>
>>The monitor does work well and does sleep. It does take a while to come
>>back from its snooze mode as if I turned it off.
>
> Strikes me as normal operation...and what I see here when monitor awakens.

Yeah, it is. It is just the heat part sounds strange. I woke up and my
room was really warm. I touched the monitor's top (vents) and it was
warm. I fell asleep after midnight and woke up at about 5am. That should
be enough to cool down, don't you think? I have seen this happened a few
times in the past with monitoring going to sleep by itself. My room is
currently at about 77 degrees(F).

I found the PDF manual:
http://www.samsungusa.com/SamsungUSA/DOWNLOAD/20030104/... ... On
page 46, it says blinking green is in power-off mode EPA/ENERGY 2000 at
less than 2.6W. Weird.

Oh well, maybe I should just ignore it. :I
--
"I'm not a worker ant. I'm like a queen. Or maybe a king. But you never
hear of king ants." --Sean Bentley
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 12:50:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I believe you are experiencing normal behavior. One thing you can do is go
to samsung's web-site and download the XP driver for your monitor. I've had
my current Sony CPD-200SX since 1996 and it produces heat when it sleeps.
My girlfriend's Dell monitor does the same thing. The home office is nice
and toastie in the morning...

- carl

"Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
news:o idbkYYGEHA.1228@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hello.
>
> Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
> create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
> thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
> button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
> still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do
> not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128
> MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
> what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
> queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
> ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
> ( )
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 3:42:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

The monitor is only off when you physically press the on/off switch to turn
it off. Otherwise it is in power saving mode, and uses a small amount of
current to keep the filament of the CRT warmed up. This allows you to see
video a lot faster than if you were to turn the monitor fully off.

Hint: T.V. sets have had this feature for 20-30 years now. It's nothing new!
It used to be called "Instant On", when it was a new feature. Now they all
have it so it is not even mentioned any longer.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
news:o idbkYYGEHA.1228@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hello.
>
> Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
> create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
> thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
> button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is still
> very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do not use
> any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) and
> Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
> what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
> queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
> ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
> ( )
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 5:18:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I wouldn't worry about the monitor. There are many sources of heat, the
monitor is only one. A fast CPU can burn your hand, or start a fire
when not properly cooled. Athlon's run hotter than Pentiums. The
exhaust fans are constantly putting out warm air, that's their function.
The Radeon 9800 has a fan on it, that's because it runs hot. Do you
have a powered Subwoofer? If so, put your hand on it. My Klipsch can
heat a small room all by itself.

Also, open the case and thoroughly clean the dust from inside the
computer a couple times a year.

Bob

"Vagabond Software" <carlfenley-X-@-X-san.rr.com> wrote in message
| I believe you are experiencing normal behavior. One thing you can do
is go
| to samsung's web-site and download the XP driver for your monitor.
I've had
| my current Sony CPD-200SX since 1996 and it produces heat when it
sleeps.
| My girlfriend's Dell monitor does the same thing. The home office is
nice
| and toastie in the morning...
|
| - carl
|
| "Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
| news:o idbkYYGEHA.1228@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| > Hello.
| >
| > Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to
still
| > create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management?
| > thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
| > button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is
| > still very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I
do
| > not use any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW
(128
| > MB) and Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
| >
| > Thank you in advance. :)
| > --
| > "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You
know
| > what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes,
the
| > queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These
things
| > ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
| > /\___/\
| > / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm:
http://antfarm.ma.cx
ANTant@zimage.com
| > \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a
newsgroup.
| > ( )

Anonymous
April 3, 2004 6:25:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

"Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
news:o idbkYYGEHA.1228@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hello.
>
> Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
> create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
> thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
> button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is still
> very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do not use
> any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) and
> Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
> what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
> queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
> ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
> ( )

No that is definitely not normal.
Your monitor is faulty.
It may be pssoible to unpluf it for a few hours to drain the capacitors,
clean the dust off the ventilation slots on the top and back, and then turn
it back on. But not likely.
If it is a new monitor or a monitor less than a year old (still under
warranty) it needs to be replaced.

--
kwoyach[SPAM]@yahoo[SPAM].com
TO Email: Remove [SPAM]

--

**Useful Links**
AdAware:

On 4/3/2004 6:25 AM PT, wojo wrote:

>>Hello.
>>
>>Is it normal for my Samsung 17" SyncMaster 763MB CRT monitor to still
>>create some heat when it is off from Windows XP's power management? I
>>thought when monitor is off, it is like turning off manually (power
>>button) except the blinking power light (sleep). I notice my room is still
>>very warm in this power saving mode as if it was on. And no, I do not use
>>any fancy OpenGL screen savers for my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) and
>>Athlon 2200+ CPU to stress on that can cook my room easily.
>>
>>Thank you in advance. :)
>
> No that is definitely not normal.
> Your monitor is faulty.
> It may be pssoible to unpluf it for a few hours to drain the capacitors,
> clean the dust off the ventilation slots on the top and back, and then turn
> it back on. But not likely.
> If it is a new monitor or a monitor less than a year old (still under
> warranty) it needs to be replaced.

Thanks for the very quick response. Rats, I wished I had noticed it
earlier. I have had this monitor since July 2002. I only use the power
saving mode (sleep) when I forgot to turn off the monitor manually
because I fell asleep which is rare. :)
--
"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
April 3, 2004 7:04:02 PM

On 4/3/2004 1:18 PM PT, Bob Gibson wrote:

> I wouldn't worry about the monitor. There are many sources of heat, the
> monitor is only one. A fast CPU can burn your hand, or start a fire
> when not properly cooled. Athlon's run hotter than Pentiums. The
> exhaust fans are constantly putting out warm air, that's their function.
> The Radeon 9800 has a fan on it, that's because it runs hot. Do you
> have a powered Subwoofer? If so, put your hand on it. My Klipsch can
> heat a small room all by itself.

Yup Klispch ProMedia v2-400 (original ones). However, turning off
monitor vs. putting monitor to sleep makes a difference in my room
especially during the heat waves in Southern CA. :)

> Also, open the case and thoroughly clean the dust from inside the
> computer a couple times a year.

Yeah, I do this once a year or so every time I do a major computer
upgrade. Darn dust bunnies.
--
"Trivial hurts, tiny human accidents," said Firenze, as his hooves
thudded over the mossy floor. "These are of no more significance than
!