CDrom tray won't open

Other than being broke, is there any valid reason for the CD tray to
not extend when the open button is pressed? I haven't used the drive
for some time, so I don't know when the behavior started. but it won't
open when in BIOS or after W2K is running.

W2K explorer asks for a disk to be mounted - so I assume there is not
a disk in there, but I can't really remember from the last time I used
it. When the open button is pressed, there's a soft click from the
unit and the green light briefly comes on - but no tray movement.

I have a replacement coming - just wanted to ask in case there's some
kind of security lock command that somehow got issued. Ignorance is
sometimes an alternative to brokeness :)
5 answers Last reply
More about cdrom tray open

    "tanstafl" <me@mine.xxz> wrote in message
    > Other than being broke, is there any valid reason for the CD tray to
    > not extend when the open button is pressed? I haven't used the drive
    > for some time, so I don't know when the behavior started. but it won't
    > open when in BIOS or after W2K is running.
    >
    > W2K explorer asks for a disk to be mounted - so I assume there is not
    > a disk in there, but I can't really remember from the last time I used
    > it. When the open button is pressed, there's a soft click from the
    > unit and the green light briefly comes on - but no tray movement.
    >
    > I have a replacement coming - just wanted to ask in case there's some
    > kind of security lock command that somehow got issued. Ignorance is
    > sometimes an alternative to brokeness :)

    It should open when your in the BIOS. Did you try using a needle through
    the pinhole to see if it opens (it might just be jammed).

    You can softwarelock a CD drive (every one I have ever had supported it)..
    This is going back to my DoubleSpeed CDRom (top of the line) drive..

    I still use the locking utilities but when the pc is restarted it unlocks..
    I dont know of a way to make it perm but I guess that could be a possible
    problem for you (doubtful but possible).

    When you hit the eject button then what does it do? .. You could remove the
    cover and just have a look at it for anything physical (It might just be a
    CD stuck on the inside)..

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:00:02 +0100, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
    wrote:

    >"tanstafl" <me@mine.xxz> wrote in message
    >> Other than being broke, is there any valid reason for the CD tray to
    >> not extend when the open button is pressed? I haven't used the drive
    >> for some time, so I don't know when the behavior started. but it won't
    >> open when in BIOS or after W2K is running.
    >>
    >> W2K explorer asks for a disk to be mounted - so I assume there is not
    >> a disk in there, but I can't really remember from the last time I used
    >> it. When the open button is pressed, there's a soft click from the
    >> unit and the green light briefly comes on - but no tray movement.
    >>
    >> I have a replacement coming - just wanted to ask in case there's some
    >> kind of security lock command that somehow got issued. Ignorance is
    >> sometimes an alternative to brokeness :)
    >

    >It should open when your in the BIOS. Did you try using a needle through
    >the pinhole to see if it opens (it might just be jammed).
    >
    >You can softwarelock a CD drive (every one I have ever had supported it)..Thanks
    >This is going back to my DoubleSpeed CDRom (top of the line) drive..
    >
    >I still use the locking utilities but when the pc is restarted it unlocks..
    >I dont know of a way to make it perm but I guess that could be a possible
    >problem for you (doubtful but possible).
    >
    >When you hit the eject button then what does it do? .. You could remove the
    >cover and just have a look at it for anything physical (It might just be a
    >CD stuck on the inside)..

    Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if there was anything like a
    lockout command. The eject button action is the same for both bios
    and W2K. Green light comes on briefly and a soft click from inside
    the drive - but no audible whirring from a tray motor. If it's a low
    torque jackscrew drive, that would probably indicate a physical jam.

    The Plextor replacement is enroute (long delayed CDRW upgrade). I'll
    then do a post mortem on the existing drive. Given my normal ham
    fingered touch - if it ain't dead now, it will be :). If I can, I'll
    reinstall it as secondary master (no IDE HDDs) - I've always wanted an
    off-site archive of my software installation disks.

    If you're interested, I'll report back on the post mortem. If not,
    thanks for the response and command info.
    --
    Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
    Have the best day possible - all things considered

    tanstafl wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:00:02 +0100, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"tanstafl" <me@mine.xxz> wrote in message
    > >> Other than being broke, is there any valid reason for the CD tray to
    > >> not extend when the open button is pressed? I haven't used the drive
    > >> for some time, so I don't know when the behavior started. but it won't
    > >> open when in BIOS or after W2K is running.
    > >>
    > >> W2K explorer asks for a disk to be mounted - so I assume there is not
    > >> a disk in there, but I can't really remember from the last time I used
    > >> it. When the open button is pressed, there's a soft click from the
    > >> unit and the green light briefly comes on - but no tray movement.
    > >>
    > >> I have a replacement coming - just wanted to ask in case there's some
    > >> kind of security lock command that somehow got issued. Ignorance is
    > >> sometimes an alternative to brokeness :)
    > >

    > >It should open when your in the BIOS. Did you try using a needle through
    > >the pinhole to see if it opens (it might just be jammed).
    > >
    > >You can softwarelock a CD drive (every one I have ever had supported it)..Thanks
    > >This is going back to my DoubleSpeed CDRom (top of the line) drive..
    > >
    > >I still use the locking utilities but when the pc is restarted it unlocks..
    > >I dont know of a way to make it perm but I guess that could be a possible
    > >problem for you (doubtful but possible).
    > >
    > >When you hit the eject button then what does it do? .. You could remove the
    > >cover and just have a look at it for anything physical (It might just be a
    > >CD stuck on the inside)..
    >
    > Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if there was anything like a
    > lockout command. The eject button action is the same for both bios
    > and W2K. Green light comes on briefly and a soft click from inside
    > the drive - but no audible whirring from a tray motor. If it's a low
    > torque jackscrew drive, that would probably indicate a physical jam.

    Hello, Pete:

    I have the same problem, with the Creative MK4104 (Matsushita CR-586B)
    32x CD-ROM, in my rarely-used backup computer. To finally get it open, I
    sometimes need to resort to sticking a paper clip, through the tiny hole
    in the faceplate. (It's there, for just such an emergency.)

    > The Plextor replacement is enroute (long delayed CDRW upgrade). I'll
    > then do a post mortem on the existing drive. Given my normal ham
    > fingered touch - if it ain't dead now, it will be :). If I can, I'll
    > reinstall it as secondary master (no IDE HDDs) - I've always wanted an
    > off-site archive of my software installation disks.
    >
    > If you're interested, I'll report back on the post mortem. If not,
    > thanks for the response and command info.
    > --
    > Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
    > Have the best day possible - all things considered

    Please, do! If you're successful, I might try fixing my own drive. ;-)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    On 27 Apr 2004 23:53:38 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:

    >tanstafl wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:00:02 +0100, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"tanstafl" <me@mine.xxz> wrote in message
    snip
    >Hello, Pete:
    >
    >I have the same problem, with the Creative MK4104 (Matsushita CR-586B)
    >32x CD-ROM, in my rarely-used backup computer. To finally get it open, I
    >sometimes need to resort to sticking a paper clip, through the tiny hole
    >in the faceplate. (It's there, for just such an emergency.)

    snip
    >> Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
    >> Have the best day possible - all things considered
    >
    >Please, do! If you're successful, I might try fixing my own drive. ;-)
    >

    >Cordially,
    > John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    Will do, I'll whack away at it probably over the weekend. The 'lil
    hole didn't float my boat, but glad to hear yours did. Let you know
    what I find.
    --
    Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
    Have the best day possible - all things considered

    My DVD rom drive died awhile ago, i tried the needle though the hole
    thing, funny thing when i opened it up there was nothing behind the
    hole to push ?

    I had a DVD in the drive and had to take it apart bit by bit just to
    get it out was a chore but got the DVD out un scratched.

    Was a Samsung, shoudl have know better.

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 04:55:44 GMT, tanstafl <me@mine.xxz> wrote:

    >On 27 Apr 2004 23:53:38 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
    >
    >>tanstafl wrote:

    >snip
    >>Hello, Pete:
    >>
    >>I have the same problem, with the Creative MK4104 (Matsushita CR-586B)
    >>32x CD-ROM, in my rarely-used backup computer. To finally get it open, I
    >>sometimes need to resort to sticking a paper clip, through the tiny hole
    >>in the faceplate. (It's there, for just such an emergency.)
    >>
    >snip
    >>> Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
    >>> Have the best day possible - all things considered
    >>
    >>Please, do! If you're successful, I might try fixing my own drive. ;-)
    >>

    >>Cordially,
    >> John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
    >
    >Will do, I'll whack away at it probably over the weekend. The 'lil
    >hole didn't float my boat, but glad to hear yours did. Let you know
    >what I find.

Storage