CDrom tray won't open

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 26, 2004 1:31:53 PM

Other than being broke, is there any valid reason for the CD tray to
not extend when the open button is pressed? I haven't used the drive
for some time, so I don't know when the behavior started. but it won't
open when in BIOS or after W2K is running.

W2K explorer asks for a disk to be mounted - so I assume there is not
a disk in there, but I can't really remember from the last time I used
it. When the open button is pressed, there's a soft click from the
unit and the green light briefly comes on - but no tray movement.

I have a replacement coming - just wanted to ask in case there's some
kind of security lock command that somehow got issued. Ignorance is
sometimes an alternative to brokeness :)

More about : cdrom tray open

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 26, 2004 3:00:02 PM

"tanstafl" <me@mine.xxz> wrote in message
news:p akp801cbl3v8q8mei50fut4h69ijep1u0@4ax.com...
> Other than being broke, is there any valid reason for the CD tray to
> not extend when the open button is pressed? I haven't used the drive
> for some time, so I don't know when the behavior started. but it won't
> open when in BIOS or after W2K is running.
>
> W2K explorer asks for a disk to be mounted - so I assume there is not
> a disk in there, but I can't really remember from the last time I used
> it. When the open button is pressed, there's a soft click from the
> unit and the green light briefly comes on - but no tray movement.
>
> I have a replacement coming - just wanted to ask in case there's some
> kind of security lock command that somehow got issued. Ignorance is
> sometimes an alternative to brokeness :)

It should open when your in the BIOS. Did you try using a needle through
the pinhole to see if it opens (it might just be jammed).

You can softwarelock a CD drive (every one I have ever had supported it)..
This is going back to my DoubleSpeed CDRom (top of the line) drive..

I still use the locking utilities but when the pc is restarted it unlocks..
I dont know of a way to make it perm but I guess that could be a possible
problem for you (doubtful but possible).

When you hit the eject button then what does it do? .. You could remove the
cover and just have a look at it for anything physical (It might just be a
CD stuck on the inside)..
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 26, 2004 10:53:58 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:00:02 +0100, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
wrote:

>"tanstafl" <me@mine.xxz> wrote in message
>news:p akp801cbl3v8q8mei50fut4h69ijep1u0@4ax.com...
>> Other than being broke, is there any valid reason for the CD tray to
>> not extend when the open button is pressed? I haven't used the drive
>> for some time, so I don't know when the behavior started. but it won't
>> open when in BIOS or after W2K is running.
>>
>> W2K explorer asks for a disk to be mounted - so I assume there is not
>> a disk in there, but I can't really remember from the last time I used
>> it. When the open button is pressed, there's a soft click from the
>> unit and the green light briefly comes on - but no tray movement.
>>
>> I have a replacement coming - just wanted to ask in case there's some
>> kind of security lock command that somehow got issued. Ignorance is
>> sometimes an alternative to brokeness :)
>

>It should open when your in the BIOS. Did you try using a needle through
>the pinhole to see if it opens (it might just be jammed).
>
>You can softwarelock a CD drive (every one I have ever had supported it)..Thanks
>This is going back to my DoubleSpeed CDRom (top of the line) drive..
>
>I still use the locking utilities but when the pc is restarted it unlocks..
>I dont know of a way to make it perm but I guess that could be a possible
>problem for you (doubtful but possible).
>
>When you hit the eject button then what does it do? .. You could remove the
>cover and just have a look at it for anything physical (It might just be a
>CD stuck on the inside)..

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if there was anything like a
lockout command. The eject button action is the same for both bios
and W2K. Green light comes on briefly and a soft click from inside
the drive - but no audible whirring from a tray motor. If it's a low
torque jackscrew drive, that would probably indicate a physical jam.

The Plextor replacement is enroute (long delayed CDRW upgrade). I'll
then do a post mortem on the existing drive. Given my normal ham
fingered touch - if it ain't dead now, it will be :) . If I can, I'll
reinstall it as secondary master (no IDE HDDs) - I've always wanted an
off-site archive of my software installation disks.

If you're interested, I'll report back on the post mortem. If not,
thanks for the response and command info.
--
Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
Have the best day possible - all things considered

tanstafl wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:00:02 +0100, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"tanstafl" <me@mine.xxz> wrote in message
> >news:p akp801cbl3v8q8mei50fut4h69ijep1u0@4ax.com...
> >> Other than being broke, is there any valid reason for the CD tray to
> >> not extend when the open button is pressed? I haven't used the drive
> >> for some time, so I don't know when the behavior started. but it won't
> >> open when in BIOS or after W2K is running.
> >>
> >> W2K explorer asks for a disk to be mounted - so I assume there is not
> >> a disk in there, but I can't really remember from the last time I used
> >> it. When the open button is pressed, there's a soft click from the
> >> unit and the green light briefly comes on - but no tray movement.
> >>
> >> I have a replacement coming - just wanted to ask in case there's some
> >> kind of security lock command that somehow got issued. Ignorance is
> >> sometimes an alternative to brokeness :)
> >

> >It should open when your in the BIOS. Did you try using a needle through
> >the pinhole to see if it opens (it might just be jammed).
> >
> >You can softwarelock a CD drive (every one I have ever had supported it)..Thanks
> >This is going back to my DoubleSpeed CDRom (top of the line) drive..
> >
> >I still use the locking utilities but when the pc is restarted it unlocks..
> >I dont know of a way to make it perm but I guess that could be a possible
> >problem for you (doubtful but possible).
> >
> >When you hit the eject button then what does it do? .. You could remove the
> >cover and just have a look at it for anything physical (It might just be a
> >CD stuck on the inside)..
>
> Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if there was anything like a
> lockout command. The eject button action is the same for both bios
> and W2K. Green light comes on briefly and a soft click from inside
> the drive - but no audible whirring from a tray motor. If it's a low
> torque jackscrew drive, that would probably indicate a physical jam.

Hello, Pete:

I have the same problem, with the Creative MK4104 (Matsushita CR-586B)
32x CD-ROM, in my rarely-used backup computer. To finally get it open, I
sometimes need to resort to sticking a paper clip, through the tiny hole
in the faceplate. (It's there, for just such an emergency.)

> The Plextor replacement is enroute (long delayed CDRW upgrade). I'll
> then do a post mortem on the existing drive. Given my normal ham
> fingered touch - if it ain't dead now, it will be :) . If I can, I'll
> reinstall it as secondary master (no IDE HDDs) - I've always wanted an
> off-site archive of my software installation disks.
>
> If you're interested, I'll report back on the post mortem. If not,
> thanks for the response and command info.
> --
> Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
> Have the best day possible - all things considered

Please, do! If you're successful, I might try fixing my own drive. ;-)

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 28, 2004 8:55:44 AM

On 27 Apr 2004 23:53:38 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:

>tanstafl wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:00:02 +0100, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"tanstafl" <me@mine.xxz> wrote in message
snip
>Hello, Pete:
>
>I have the same problem, with the Creative MK4104 (Matsushita CR-586B)
>32x CD-ROM, in my rarely-used backup computer. To finally get it open, I
>sometimes need to resort to sticking a paper clip, through the tiny hole
>in the faceplate. (It's there, for just such an emergency.)

snip
>> Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
>> Have the best day possible - all things considered
>
>Please, do! If you're successful, I might try fixing my own drive. ;-)
>

>Cordially,
> John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

Will do, I'll whack away at it probably over the weekend. The 'lil
hole didn't float my boat, but glad to hear yours did. Let you know
what I find.
--
Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
Have the best day possible - all things considered
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 29, 2004 5:16:59 AM

My DVD rom drive died awhile ago, i tried the needle though the hole
thing, funny thing when i opened it up there was nothing behind the
hole to push ?

I had a DVD in the drive and had to take it apart bit by bit just to
get it out was a chore but got the DVD out un scratched.

Was a Samsung, shoudl have know better.

!