Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Partition Magic Resize changed partition to Type 17

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 28, 2004 1:57:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

After I used Partition Magic to resize a 10 GB NTFS partition containing
Windows 2000, just enough to create a 100 MB FAT partition before the NTFS
partition, I could no longer boot from the NTFS partition. Partition Magic
stated that the partition is a Type 17 ("Other"). I know that Type 17 is
supposed to be hidden NTFS, but unhiding it by changing the type from 17 to
07 in PTEDIT still did not make it accessible. Partition Magic still
designates it as "Other" (although now it is a Type 07). After making the
partition active (from a System Commander boot disk, as Partition Magic
does not allow to do this) and rebooting with a CD-ROM, I tried to access
the C: drive, but this results in the error "the volume does not contain a
recognized file system". Deleting the FAT partition and resizing the NTFS
to its original size did not recover it either.

Any hints on how I could revive this partition? I mean really restoring it
to its original state, not simply recovering say 95% of the data.

I did search the Google newsgroup archives, but all I could find was one
person warning against exactly this type of situation and saying that he
would not know how to recover from it...

All help will be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 28, 2004 3:44:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Fred Flintstone wrote:
> After I used Partition Magic to resize a 10 GB NTFS partition
> containing Windows 2000, just enough to create a 100 MB FAT partition
> before the NTFS partition, I could no longer boot from the NTFS
> partition. Partition Magic stated that the partition is a Type 17
> ("Other"). I know that Type 17 is supposed to be hidden NTFS, but
> unhiding it by changing the type from 17 to 07 in PTEDIT still did
> not make it accessible. Partition Magic still designates it as
> "Other" (although now it is a Type 07). After making the partition
> active (from a System Commander boot disk, as Partition Magic does
> not allow to do this) and rebooting with a CD-ROM, I tried to access
> the C: drive, but this results in the error "the volume does not
> contain a recognized file system". Deleting the FAT partition and
> resizing the NTFS to its original size did not recover it either.
>
> Any hints on how I could revive this partition? I mean really
> restoring it to its original state, not simply recovering say 95% of
> the data.
>
> I did search the Google newsgroup archives, but all I could find was
> one person warning against exactly this type of situation and saying
> that he would not know how to recover from it...
>
> All help will be greatly appreciated.

Just a shot in the dark: does a Partinfo say this is an NTFS or HPFS
partition? Both FS'ses are of type $07, only HPFS is not supported...

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 28, 2004 4:36:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:44:49 +0200, Michael Kimmer wrote:

> Fred Flintstone wrote:
>> After I used Partition Magic to resize a 10 GB NTFS partition
>> containing Windows 2000, just enough to create a 100 MB FAT partition
>> before the NTFS partition, I could no longer boot from the NTFS
>> partition. Partition Magic stated that the partition is a Type 17
>> ("Other"). I know that Type 17 is supposed to be hidden NTFS, but
>> unhiding it by changing the type from 17 to 07 in PTEDIT still did
>> not make it accessible. Partition Magic still designates it as
>> "Other" (although now it is a Type 07). After making the partition
>> active (from a System Commander boot disk, as Partition Magic does
>> not allow to do this) and rebooting with a CD-ROM, I tried to access
>> the C: drive, but this results in the error "the volume does not
>> contain a recognized file system". Deleting the FAT partition and
>> resizing the NTFS to its original size did not recover it either.
>>
>> Any hints on how I could revive this partition? I mean really
>> restoring it to its original state, not simply recovering say 95% of
>> the data.
>>
>> I did search the Google newsgroup archives, but all I could find was
>> one person warning against exactly this type of situation and saying
>> that he would not know how to recover from it...
>>
>> All help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Just a shot in the dark: does a Partinfo say this is an NTFS or HPFS
> partition? Both FS'ses are of type $07, only HPFS is not supported...

Actually, it says "QNX, UN*X", while it is still a type $07...
Partition Info further tells me, when I select the following partition
(also an NTFS with Win2K, which I can boot) that the MBR Partition Table is
not in sequential order. Maybe that's the reason?
April 28, 2004 3:14:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Fred Flintstone" <20040427@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:c8lb5fhkgejn.1av2y0ogem88z.dlg@40tude.net...
> Actually, it says "QNX, UN*X", while it is still a type $07...

Then the boot sector is corrupt and possibly a bit more. Possibly can be
repaired, however deleting/recreating/reinstalling is quicker probably.

> (also an NTFS with Win2K, which I can boot) that the MBR Partition Table
is
> not in sequential order. Maybe that's the reason?

Probably not.
!