Raid single disk config problem XP

Hi all,
i have a problem with setting up a single disk on an on board raid
controller...

i am using an epox 8k5A2 with onboard HPT372 controller
40gig samsung on primary IDE 1
80 gig maxtor on channel one of the raid controller...

my objective is to use the raid controller to add the maxtor as a
backup drive...i dont want to set it up as a raid array but to use the
raid controller as extra ide channels

the promise raid bios detects the drive ok but when xp boots i get a
flash of bluescreen and the machine resets....endless loop
situation...however when i boot XP in safe mode it works fine...both
drives are visible and i can copy data from ide 1 to the primary raid
disk no problems....i have searched for info on single disk setup and
little is availbale..plenty on disk arrays though
any tips or resources gratefully rec'd
thanks

relloman

relloman@beasty.com (rello) wrote in news:4090b0a4.5300231@news-server:

as extra ide channels

> the promise raid bios detects the drive ok but when xp boots i get a
> flash of bluescreen and the machine resets....endless loop
> situation...however when i boot XP in safe mode it works fine...both
> drives are visible and i can copy data from ide 1 to the primary raid
> disk no problems....i have searched for info on single disk setup and
> little is availbale..plenty on disk arrays though
> any tips or resources gratefully rec'd
> thanks

It sounds to me like it doesn't like whatever driver it's trying to load.
It could be the promise driver, could be a different device too though.

Tried loading the latest driver from promise yet, or any of their older
ones?

Also might check Windows Update to see if they have an updated driver for
the device.