Speedfan and SMART temp sensors on WD250 Gig

Just played around with a utility called Speedfan which apparently can
read the SMART temperature sensor on newer hard drives. Of my three
drives, a Maxtor 60, a WD200, and a WD250, only the WD250 appears to
have the sensor. It's reading 30 C with a motherboard case temp of
25C.

Does this sound ballpark ?

No special cooling except for air flow from front case holes directly
in front of drives. Three fans blowing out rear of case.
3 answers Last reply
More about speedfan smart temp sensors wd250

    <paul_woo@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > Just played around with a utility called Speedfan which apparently can
    > read the SMART temperature sensor on newer hard drives. Of my three
    > drives, a Maxtor 60, a WD200, and a WD250, only the WD250 appears to
    > have the sensor. It's reading 30 C with a motherboard case temp of
    > 25C.
    >
    > Does this sound ballpark ?
    >
    > No special cooling except for air flow from front case holes directly
    > in front of drives. Three fans blowing out rear of case.

    Sounds fine.

    --
    Derek

    <paul_woo@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > Just played around with a utility called Speedfan which
    > apparently can read the SMART temperature sensor on
    > newer hard drives. Of my three drives, a Maxtor 60, a WD200,
    > and a WD250, only the WD250 appears to have the sensor.

    Sounds plausible.

    > It's reading 30 C with a motherboard case temp of 25C.

    > Does this sound ballpark ?

    Yep. Tho what matters is what it gets to
    with the hottest room temps in summer.

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:13:47 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    ><paul_woo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Just played around with a utility called Speedfan which
    >> apparently can read the SMART temperature sensor on
    >> newer hard drives. Of my three drives, a Maxtor 60, a WD200,
    >> and a WD250, only the WD250 appears to have the sensor.
    >
    >Sounds plausible.
    >
    >> It's reading 30 C with a motherboard case temp of 25C.
    >
    >> Does this sound ballpark ?
    >
    >Yep. Tho what matters is what it gets to
    >with the hottest room temps in summer.

    I figured out the "chart" tab and am running a temperature chart on my
    WD250 while I run viruscan on it. It started out at 30 raised to 38
    and then when into a choppy crazy looking square wave between 36 and
    38C. Almost looks like there's some kind of cycling going on.

    This is a great little program for testing cooling systems.

Cases Speedfan Storage