Speedfan and SMART temp sensors on WD250 Gig

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 29, 2004 11:09:57 AM

Just played around with a utility called Speedfan which apparently can
read the SMART temperature sensor on newer hard drives. Of my three
drives, a Maxtor 60, a WD200, and a WD250, only the WD250 appears to
have the sensor. It's reading 30 C with a motherboard case temp of
25C.

Does this sound ballpark ?

No special cooling except for air flow from front case holes directly
in front of drives. Three fans blowing out rear of case.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 29, 2004 8:30:16 PM

<paul_woo@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Just played around with a utility called Speedfan which apparently can
> read the SMART temperature sensor on newer hard drives. Of my three
> drives, a Maxtor 60, a WD200, and a WD250, only the WD250 appears to
> have the sensor. It's reading 30 C with a motherboard case temp of
> 25C.
>
> Does this sound ballpark ?
>
> No special cooling except for air flow from front case holes directly
> in front of drives. Three fans blowing out rear of case.

Sounds fine.

--
Derek
Anonymous

<paul_woo@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Just played around with a utility called Speedfan which
> apparently can read the SMART temperature sensor on
> newer hard drives. Of my three drives, a Maxtor 60, a WD200,
> and a WD250, only the WD250 appears to have the sensor.

Sounds plausible.

> It's reading 30 C with a motherboard case temp of 25C.

> Does this sound ballpark ?

Yep. Tho what matters is what it gets to
with the hottest room temps in summer.

> No special cooling except for air flow from front case holes
> directly in front of drives. Three fans blowing out rear of case.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 30, 2004 11:13:48 AM

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:13:47 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

><paul_woo@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> Just played around with a utility called Speedfan which
>> apparently can read the SMART temperature sensor on
>> newer hard drives. Of my three drives, a Maxtor 60, a WD200,
>> and a WD250, only the WD250 appears to have the sensor.
>
>Sounds plausible.
>
>> It's reading 30 C with a motherboard case temp of 25C.
>
>> Does this sound ballpark ?
>
>Yep. Tho what matters is what it gets to
>with the hottest room temps in summer.

I figured out the "chart" tab and am running a temperature chart on my
WD250 while I run viruscan on it. It started out at 30 raised to 38
and then when into a choppy crazy looking square wave between 36 and
38C. Almost looks like there's some kind of cycling going on.

This is a great little program for testing cooling systems.
!