  • Dual Monitors
  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows XP
April 5, 2004 6:16:06 PM

I've grabbed an old video card from around the house, an S3 ViRGE and an IBM P70 Monitor. My other video card is an Intel 82845G/.... Graphics Controller that is integrated w/ the system, running a 19 LCD. I have switched the BIOS to load the PCI video card automatically first, and w/ the other one disabled, it runs fine. When I try to enable or reinstall the integrated card, the system runs so slow I basically cannot do anything and have to reboot and disable it. According to task manager System is taking up 99 percent of the CPU when I do this. I have a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz and 256 MB Ram. Is this just not enough power, can these video cards not do this, or am I just totally doing something wrong? Any help would be awesome.

More about : dual monitor setup issues

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2004 10:30:19 PM

AMC,
Unfortunately the S3 Virge is not officially support in multimon for
windows XP. I've seen it work once in awhile, but quite often one of the
two cards are banged out in device manager, as you mentioned. For a list of
supported adapters go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397. This was up
to date for when Windows XP first released, there are new
Radeon/Geforce/etc. based cards not listed here which will also work.

--
Thanks,
Lance Naugle

"AMC" <andrewcarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've grabbed an old video card from around the house, an S3 ViRGE and an
IBM P70 Monitor. My other video card is an Intel 82845G/.... Graphics
Controller that is integrated w/ the system, running a 19 LCD. I have
switched the BIOS to load the PCI video card automatically first, and w/ the
other one disabled, it runs fine. When I try to enable or reinstall the
integrated card, the system runs so slow I basically cannot do anything and
have to reboot and disable it. According to task manager System is taking
up 99 percent of the CPU when I do this. I have a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz and 256
MB Ram. Is this just not enough power, can these video cards not do this, or
am I just totally doing something wrong? Any help would be awesome.
April 6, 2004 1:46:05 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I am out of luck until I can dig up another video card.
Related resources
April 6, 2004 4:31:08 PM

Lance,

Thanks for the reply, and I've tried it with the NVIDIA RIVA TNT card, and it has the exact same result, which leads me to believe that I am doing something incorrect trying to utilize this feature. Any thoughts?

----- Microsoft Video Driver OCA Triage wrote: -----

AMC,
Unfortunately the S3 Virge is not officially support in multimon for
windows XP. I've seen it work once in awhile, but quite often one of the
two cards are banged out in device manager, as you mentioned. For a list of
supported adapters go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397. This was up
to date for when Windows XP first released, there are new
Radeon/Geforce/etc. based cards not listed here which will also work.

--
Thanks,
Lance Naugle
Microsoft Video Driver OCA Triage
vidoca@microsoft.com
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

"AMC" <andrewcarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've grabbed an old video card from around the house, an S3 ViRGE and an
IBM P70 Monitor. My other video card is an Intel 82845G/.... Graphics
Controller that is integrated w/ the system, running a 19 LCD. I have
switched the BIOS to load the PCI video card automatically first, and w/ the
other one disabled, it runs fine. When I try to enable or reinstall the
integrated card, the system runs so slow I basically cannot do anything and
have to reboot and disable it. According to task manager System is taking
up 99 percent of the CPU when I do this. I have a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz and 256
MB Ram. Is this just not enough power, can these video cards not do this, or
am I just totally doing something wrong? Any help would be awesome.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2004 9:09:32 PM

Nvidia no longer supports the TNT on their website otherwise I would suggest
upgrading the driver.

You can try the latest Intel driver which you can download here:
http://support.intel.com/support/go/iegdriver/

If this doesn't work try having your onboard intel as your boot device in
the bios. I can't really say if you are doing anything wrong. From what you
originally posted it sounds like you have the right idea. There is some
unknown conflict which could stem from hardware/driver/irq sharing.

--

> Lance,
>
> Thanks for the reply, and I've tried it with the NVIDIA RIVA TNT card, and
it has the exact same result, which leads me to believe that I am doing
something incorrect trying to utilize this feature. Any thoughts?

> ----- Microsoft Video Driver OCA Triage wrote: -----
>
> AMC,
> Unfortunately the S3 Virge is not officially support in multimon
for
> windows XP. I've seen it work once in awhile, but quite often one of
the
> two cards are banged out in device manager, as you mentioned. For a
list of
> supported adapters go here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397. This
was up
> to date for when Windows XP first released, there are new
> Radeon/Geforce/etc. based cards not listed here which will also work.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Lance Naugle
> Microsoft Video Driver OCA Triage
> vidoca@microsoft.com
> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
>
> "AMC" <andrewcarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've grabbed an old video card from around the house, an S3 ViRGE
and an
> IBM P70 Monitor. My other video card is an Intel 82845G/....
Graphics
> Controller that is integrated w/ the system, running a 19 LCD. I
have
> switched the BIOS to load the PCI video card automatically first, and
w/ the
> other one disabled, it runs fine. When I try to enable or reinstall
the
> integrated card, the system runs so slow I basically cannot do
anything and
> have to reboot and disable it. According to task manager System is
taking
> up 99 percent of the CPU when I do this. I have a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz
and 256
> MB Ram. Is this just not enough power, can these video cards not do
this, or
> am I just totally doing something wrong? Any help would be awesome.

April 6, 2004 10:26:02 PM

Lance,

The Intel driver worked like a charm.... you are my hero.

Thanks again.
!