Dual Monitor Setup Issues

I've grabbed an old video card from around the house, an S3 ViRGE and an IBM P70 Monitor. My other video card is an Intel 82845G/.... Graphics Controller that is integrated w/ the system, running a 19 LCD. I have switched the BIOS to load the PCI video card automatically first, and w/ the other one disabled, it runs fine. When I try to enable or reinstall the integrated card, the system runs so slow I basically cannot do anything and have to reboot and disable it. According to task manager System is taking up 99 percent of the CPU when I do this. I have a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz and 256 MB Ram. Is this just not enough power, can these video cards not do this, or am I just totally doing something wrong? Any help would be awesome.
5 answers Last reply
More about dual monitor setup issues

    AMC,
    Unfortunately the S3 Virge is not officially support in multimon for
    windows XP. I've seen it work once in awhile, but quite often one of the
    two cards are banged out in device manager, as you mentioned. For a list of
    supported adapters go here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397. This was up
    to date for when Windows XP first released, there are new
    Radeon/Geforce/etc. based cards not listed here which will also work.

    --
    Thanks,
    Lance Naugle

    "AMC" <andrewcarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've grabbed an old video card from around the house, an S3 ViRGE and an
    IBM P70 Monitor. My other video card is an Intel 82845G/.... Graphics
    Controller that is integrated w/ the system, running a 19 LCD. I have
    switched the BIOS to load the PCI video card automatically first, and w/ the
    other one disabled, it runs fine. When I try to enable or reinstall the
    integrated card, the system runs so slow I basically cannot do anything and
    have to reboot and disable it. According to task manager System is taking
    up 99 percent of the CPU when I do this. I have a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz and 256
    MB Ram. Is this just not enough power, can these video cards not do this, or
    am I just totally doing something wrong? Any help would be awesome.

    Thanks for the heads up. I guess I am out of luck until I can dig up another video card.

    Lance,

    Thanks for the reply, and I've tried it with the NVIDIA RIVA TNT card, and it has the exact same result, which leads me to believe that I am doing something incorrect trying to utilize this feature. Any thoughts?

    ----- Microsoft Video Driver OCA Triage wrote: -----

    AMC,
    Unfortunately the S3 Virge is not officially support in multimon for
    windows XP. I've seen it work once in awhile, but quite often one of the
    two cards are banged out in device manager, as you mentioned. For a list of
    supported adapters go here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397. This was up
    to date for when Windows XP first released, there are new
    Radeon/Geforce/etc. based cards not listed here which will also work.

    --
    Thanks,
    Lance Naugle
    Microsoft Video Driver OCA Triage
    vidoca@microsoft.com
    * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.

    "AMC" <andrewcarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've grabbed an old video card from around the house, an S3 ViRGE and an
    IBM P70 Monitor. My other video card is an Intel 82845G/.... Graphics
    Controller that is integrated w/ the system, running a 19 LCD. I have
    switched the BIOS to load the PCI video card automatically first, and w/ the
    other one disabled, it runs fine. When I try to enable or reinstall the
    integrated card, the system runs so slow I basically cannot do anything and
    have to reboot and disable it. According to task manager System is taking
    up 99 percent of the CPU when I do this. I have a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz and 256
    MB Ram. Is this just not enough power, can these video cards not do this, or
    am I just totally doing something wrong? Any help would be awesome.

    Nvidia no longer supports the TNT on their website otherwise I would suggest
    upgrading the driver.

    You can try the latest Intel driver which you can download here:
    http://support.intel.com/support/go/iegdriver/

    If this doesn't work try having your onboard intel as your boot device in
    the bios. I can't really say if you are doing anything wrong. From what you
    originally posted it sounds like you have the right idea. There is some
    unknown conflict which could stem from hardware/driver/irq sharing.

    --

    > Lance,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply, and I've tried it with the NVIDIA RIVA TNT card, and
    it has the exact same result, which leads me to believe that I am doing
    something incorrect trying to utilize this feature. Any thoughts?

    > ----- Microsoft Video Driver OCA Triage wrote: -----
    >
    > AMC,
    > Unfortunately the S3 Virge is not officially support in multimon
    for
    > windows XP. I've seen it work once in awhile, but quite often one of
    the
    > two cards are banged out in device manager, as you mentioned. For a
    list of
    > supported adapters go here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397. This
    was up
    > to date for when Windows XP first released, there are new
    > Radeon/Geforce/etc. based cards not listed here which will also work.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Lance Naugle
    > Microsoft Video Driver OCA Triage
    > vidoca@microsoft.com
    > * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    > rights.
    >
    > "AMC" <andrewcarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I've grabbed an old video card from around the house, an S3 ViRGE
    and an
    > IBM P70 Monitor. My other video card is an Intel 82845G/....
    Graphics
    > Controller that is integrated w/ the system, running a 19 LCD. I
    have
    > switched the BIOS to load the PCI video card automatically first, and
    w/ the
    > other one disabled, it runs fine. When I try to enable or reinstall
    the
    > integrated card, the system runs so slow I basically cannot do
    anything and
    > have to reboot and disable it. According to task manager System is
    taking
    > up 99 percent of the CPU when I do this. I have a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz
    and 256
    > MB Ram. Is this just not enough power, can these video cards not do
    this, or
    > am I just totally doing something wrong? Any help would be awesome.

    Lance,

    The Intel driver worked like a charm.... you are my hero.

    Thanks again.

Video Dual Monitors Graphics Cards Windows XP