monitor turns blank at logon, video driver issues

a b C Monitor
April 5, 2004 7:34:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

ok this happened really suddenly...

i'm not percisely sure when it happened, but it was around
the time that i installed the new forceware driver (i have
a winfast 64mb geforce 3 ti 200) and directx 9.0b

problem: the monitor goes blank at logon

info:
- i have tried to roll back directx and video card drivers;
same problem
- completely uninstall video card driver and use standard
xp vga driver; worked the first time(but no 3d accel
support), but i reinstalled it and then uninstalled it
again to try to fix it again; now it gives me a crazy
multicolored static or the same blank screen
- however, works in safe mode so it probably have to do
with the video drivers or some driver that has to do with it

thanks for any help.
April 6, 2004 9:54:46 AM

brian liu wrote:

> ok this happened really suddenly...
>
> i'm not percisely sure when it happened, but it was around
> the time that i installed the new forceware driver (i have
> a winfast 64mb geforce 3 ti 200) and directx 9.0b
>
> problem: the monitor goes blank at logon
>
> info:
> - i have tried to roll back directx and video card drivers;
> same problem
> - completely uninstall video card driver and use standard
> xp vga driver; worked the first time(but no 3d accel
> support), but i reinstalled it and then uninstalled it
> again to try to fix it again; now it gives me a crazy
> multicolored static or the same blank screen
> - however, works in safe mode so it probably have to do
> with the video drivers or some driver that has to do with it

You've already rolled back the drivers and DirectX to ones that worked
with the card before, so you know that isn't the problem. The card
works in Safe Mode, so something happens with the card's rendering in
regular mode. Try a different video card entirely. Your card may have
failed.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell