Adjusting Desktop Area...

Hi,
I run XP Pro on a Compaq Armada E500. I am trying to set the resolution to
1152x864. When I do so, the desktop expands beyond the screen. Text and
icons do not shrink from a 1024x768 resolution. When I move the mouse to the
edges of the screen, the desktop slides. Also, under Device Manager, I see 3
default monitors listed. When I try to uninstall all of them and scan for
hardware changes, they all get re-installed. I am trying to understand
what's going on. Any thoughts? C

Clementius,
The maximum resolution of your Laptop's display is 1024x768. There are
some people who want to set the resolution above this and as you mentioned
'slide' around the screen. This is probably a feature
Compaq asked of the video driver providers; so this is an expected behavior.
The three monitors in your display properties are also expected. You
probably have an S-video out and an external monitor out on the back of your
laptop. Since nothing is hooked up to these the non-existent monitor are
detected as default. This does not hurt your performance, setting, or
anything else for your laptop it's just the way XP detect monitors. Sorry
for the confusion.

--
Thanks,
Lance Naugle

"Clementius" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I run XP Pro on a Compaq Armada E500. I am trying to set the resolution to
> 1152x864. When I do so, the desktop expands beyond the screen. Text and
> icons do not shrink from a 1024x768 resolution. When I move the mouse to
the
> edges of the screen, the desktop slides. Also, under Device Manager, I see
3
> default monitors listed. When I try to uninstall all of them and scan for
> hardware changes, they all get re-installed. I am trying to understand
> what's going on. Any thoughts? C

Thank you Lance for your helpful answer. C