Adding bigger drive to old computer

I was given an old computer from work. When I tried to replace the
original 6.4 GB hhd with a Western Digital 40 GB hhd, the BIOS would
not recognize the new drive. Would a seperate IDE controller card
solve the limitation problem?

Thanks in advance

cjt

twiceasshort wrote:

> I was given an old computer from work. When I tried to replace the
> original 6.4 GB hhd with a Western Digital 40 GB hhd, the BIOS would
> not recognize the new drive. Would a seperate IDE controller card
> solve the limitation problem?
>
> Thanks in advance

it might -- the devil is in the details

Previously twiceasshort <twiceasshort@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was given an old computer from work. When I tried to replace the
> original 6.4 GB hhd with a Western Digital 40 GB hhd, the BIOS would
> not recognize the new drive. Would a seperate IDE controller card
> solve the limitation problem?

I have had success with a cheap Promise 100TX2. Some people here report
Problems with that card under Windows. Under Linux it runs fine.

Arno