Data Recover: Format -> Windows Install -> Need Recover

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
May 1, 2004 4:11:03 PM

Situation:
Windows XP NTFS system with about 7 gigs of data. It was formatted
using NTFS once again. Windows XP was then installed on this disk
again. Right after it was noticed that a file was needed off the
original system so the drive was removed for data recovery. The
system now holds about 3 gigs of data from the windows XP. The file
needed was created only about 3 weeks before the format.

Assuming that the Windows install did not write over the original
location of the file needed is there a program that can retrieve it?
I have tried a r-studio but it only lists the current files on the
partition and no files before the format/install.

Any help would be creating appreciated.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 1, 2004 11:48:23 PM

On 1 May 2004 12:11:03 -0700, ryanmhuc@yahoo.com (Ryan Hubbard) wrote:

>Situation:
> Windows XP NTFS system with about 7 gigs of data. It was formatted
>using NTFS once again. Windows XP was then installed on this disk
>again. Right after it was noticed that a file was needed off the
>original system so the drive was removed for data recovery. The
>system now holds about 3 gigs of data from the windows XP. The file
>needed was created only about 3 weeks before the format.
>
> Assuming that the Windows install did not write over the original
>location of the file needed is there a program that can retrieve it?
>I have tried a r-studio but it only lists the current files on the
>partition and no files before the format/install.
>
> Any help would be creating appreciated.

The first issue is if the file record for the file is present. If the
old partition originally was made using Windows 2000, the master file
table would be in the beginning of the disk, where XP would put data,
and there could be a large risk that the file record is lost. Then one
have to search for the actual file content without use of file system
structures.

One way to figure out if the file record is present would be to use
the "findntfs findfile" command of my FindNTFS tool.

If recovery tools are run in Windows, the partitions on the problem
disk should be made hidden to prevent further damage.
--
Svend Olaf
http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm

Svend,
Thanks for the response. I actually got a post in another forum and
thy recommended GetDataBack. Before that post I tried 4 other recover
softwares and none of them could find it. GetDataBack found it right
away and saved me alot of work.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 7, 2005 11:35:14 PM

Hello,

As far as I'm concerned Active@ Undelete is supposed to help you. It
has some really awesome recover algorithms and advanced useful
functions. It is compatible with DOS and Windows OS type, many file
systems and HDD configurations. Active@ Undelete is available for
download at http://www.active-undelete.com/