Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bluetooth adapters and range.

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 5:13:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Can someone tell me how good the USB bluetooth adapters are for the PC
to connect to my iPAQ pocketpc?

I wqant to be able to browse the web remotely within my house on my
iPAQ, but how good are the bluetooth dongles at going through walls
etc and what range could be expected through walls say at the other
end of my house?
(Internal walls are brick if that matters).

I see there are some bluetooth dongles on ebay that say 100m range.
Would this be sufficient?

Thanks
Cameron_S
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 11:58:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I have a belkin 100M BT dongle and I can access my pc all around the house
and outside although not very far outside. It all depends on where you have
the pc dongle at. Mine is located on the 2nd floor and I get good coverage,
not as good as wifi but I can use it around the house which is enough for
me.

--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...



"Cameron_S" <mr_mytzlplik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:71fe4155.0405050013.56bb00fc@posting.google.com...
> Can someone tell me how good the USB bluetooth adapters are for the PC
> to connect to my iPAQ pocketpc?
>
> I wqant to be able to browse the web remotely within my house on my
> iPAQ, but how good are the bluetooth dongles at going through walls
> etc and what range could be expected through walls say at the other
> end of my house?
> (Internal walls are brick if that matters).
>
> I see there are some bluetooth dongles on ebay that say 100m range.
> Would this be sufficient?
>
> Thanks
> Cameron_S
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 2:02:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 5th May, Cameron_S wrote:

> Can someone tell me how good the USB bluetooth adapters are
> for the PC to connect to my iPAQ pocketpc?

As a bit of a newbie to PocketPC and also to Bluetooth, as far
as I am aware, most Bluetooth PocketPC/Palms/Phones have a very
limited range of about 10m, though this will be reduced through
walls and floors, etc.

The adaptor that plugs into the PC can be one of two flavours,
one has 10m range and the other 100m - but the effective range
will be the shorter of the two paired devices....100m range on
the PC will be limited by the 10m range on the handheld.

I *think* that is the case with built-in Bluetooth on handhelds
but will be corrected if wrong. However - if you are adding BT
to a handheld via CF card, etc, then you may well be able to get
a 100m range instead.

I think that for browsing using your computers net connection
and from all over the house, the WiFi would be a better option.
The way most people look at the two is that Bluetooth is like a
wireless USB (ie, good for connecting peripherals) and WiFi is
like a wireless network cable (ie, good for connecting two or
more computers).

Hope this helps.

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
Related resources
May 6, 2004 2:21:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I use a Socket SD (SDIO) Bluetooth card in my 3950. I can walk all
over the house and get ActiveSync and internet connections to a Type
II dongle on my main PC in the basement. I also use a Bluetooth GPS
receiver in the car. I can get about 5 meters away from the car with
the BT GPS unit inside and still get date to the iPaq and PocketMap.

mr_mytzlplik@hotmail.com (Cameron_S) wrote in message news:<71fe4155.0405050013.56bb00fc@posting.google.com>...
> Can someone tell me how good the USB bluetooth adapters are for the PC
> to connect to my iPAQ pocketpc?
>
> I wqant to be able to browse the web remotely within my house on my
> iPAQ, but how good are the bluetooth dongles at going through walls
> etc and what range could be expected through walls say at the other
> end of my house?
> (Internal walls are brick if that matters).
>
> I see there are some bluetooth dongles on ebay that say 100m range.
> Would this be sufficient?
>
> Thanks
> Cameron_S
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 3:39:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Cameron_S" <mr_mytzlplik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:71fe4155.0405050013.56bb00fc@posting.google.com...
> Can someone tell me how good the USB bluetooth adapters are for the PC
> to connect to my iPAQ pocketpc?
>
> I wqant to be able to browse the web remotely within my house on my
> iPAQ, but how good are the bluetooth dongles at going through walls
> etc and what range could be expected through walls say at the other
> end of my house?
> (Internal walls are brick if that matters).

I'll echo what Bryan said: the iPAQ has a 10-metre range under ideal
conditions.

In my house, which has substantial internal brick walls, I can only access
my gateway if the iPAQ is in the same room. OTOH, WiFi works everywhere in
the house and much of the garden. (Except when it doesn't - occasionally the
signal-to-noise ratio goes ballistic for a few minutes... presumably
interference.)

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 8:39:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hmm I thought Wi-Fi would be a better option. Just that it would be
about 4 times the cost. For bluetooth all I'd need would be the
dongle ~$60AUD.
On the other hand a CF card and wireless card for my PC would set me
back about $250+...

hmmm

Bryan Anderson <usenet@anderson-it.com> wrote in message news:<v4bh901sppha3jlkanff12d97fjjm38670@4ax.com>...

>
> I think that for browsing using your computers net connection
> and from all over the house, the WiFi would be a better option.
> The way most people look at the two is that Bluetooth is like a
> wireless USB (ie, good for connecting peripherals) and WiFi is
> like a wireless network cable (ie, good for connecting two or
> more computers).
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 5:32:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Cameron_S" <mr_mytzlplik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:71fe4155.0405060339.8a269de@posting.google.com...
> Hmm I thought Wi-Fi would be a better option. Just that it would be
> about 4 times the cost. For bluetooth all I'd need would be the
> dongle ~$60AUD.
> On the other hand a CF card and wireless card for my PC would set me
> back about $250+...

Curious. Here in the UK the cost of WiFi cards (including 802.11g) have
tumbled to about the same as Bluetooth adaptors. I recently bought a PCI
card for a desktop, and a PCMCIA card for a laptop (both Belkin, both
802.11g) - each one cost me £29.78 + VAT... from PC World. No doubt I could
have found cheaper if I'd hunted around.

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 6:25:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Steve at fivetrees" <steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com> wrote in message
news:rO2dnRtqTrulrQfdRVn-iQ@nildram.net...
> "Cameron_S" <mr_mytzlplik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:71fe4155.0405060339.8a269de@posting.google.com...
> > Hmm I thought Wi-Fi would be a better option. Just that it would be
> > about 4 times the cost. For bluetooth all I'd need would be the
> > dongle ~$60AUD.
> > On the other hand a CF card and wireless card for my PC would set me
> > back about $250+...
>
> Curious. Here in the UK the cost of WiFi cards (including 802.11g) have
> tumbled to about the same as Bluetooth adaptors. I recently bought a PCI
> card for a desktop, and a PCMCIA card for a laptop (both Belkin, both
> 802.11g) - each one cost me £29.78 + VAT... from PC World. No doubt I
could
> have found cheaper if I'd hunted around.
>

Yes you paid double I brought the same cards from www.ebuyer.com for about
£30 incl posage... I bet you can't get your wifi card to work with your
PDA's SD wifi card though can you - assuming you have one ? Impossible I
found but it can be done apparently
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 7:55:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"no one important" <no_one@home.here> wrote in message
news:e2e2q22MEHA.1556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Curious. Here in the UK the cost of WiFi cards (including 802.11g) have
> > tumbled to about the same as Bluetooth adaptors. I recently bought a PCI
> > card for a desktop, and a PCMCIA card for a laptop (both Belkin, both
> > 802.11g) - each one cost me £29.78 + VAT... from PC World. No doubt I
> could
> > have found cheaper if I'd hunted around.
> >
>
> Yes you paid double I brought the same cards from www.ebuyer.com for about
> £30 incl posage...

Lalalalala I can't hear you ;) .

> I bet you can't get your wifi card to work with your
> PDA's SD wifi card though can you - assuming you have one ? Impossible I
> found but it can be done apparently

The iPAQ 5550 has WiFi built in - it all works fine. I should add that I
also have a WiFi access point on the network here, so I have a hierarchical
rather than ad-hoc. Works great. (Had trouble with
encryption/authentication, and eventually used my access point's MAC list
instead to provide *some* security at least... But, as someone once said,
you can't have everything - where would you put it?)

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
!