disk image software comments please

Reading the reviews etc through google one gets the impression that
drive imaging software is fraught with many problems...thge 3 most
mentioned prioducts
norton ghost
drveimage
acronis drive image 6 [true image 7]
i saw either really good but mostly really bad reviews
which software is the one to use??
thanks for your guidance

relloman
6 answers Last reply
More about disk image software comments please

    relloman@beasty.com (rello) wrote in news:40957b30.3509005@news-server:

    > Reading the reviews etc through google one gets the impression that
    > drive imaging software is fraught with many problems...thge 3 most
    > mentioned prioducts
    > norton ghost
    > drveimage
    > acronis drive image 6 [true image 7]
    > i saw either really good but mostly really bad reviews
    > which software is the one to use??
    > thanks for your guidance

    I'm in the same boat. I'm wondering which to use too. I'm interested in
    hearing any pros and comments anyone has on any of these products. I've been
    using disk image software since LinkWiz first came out.

    For myself, I've decided to try them all out in order to really know which
    works best for what I want, which is fully automated creation and restores
    from a bootable DVDRW, with spanning to multiple DVDRW. I could create such
    a disk set myself, by hand, but I would prefer if the software did it for me,
    in an automated process.

    All of these products do basically the same thing, but each has it's pros and
    cons. A weak point or problem area that has caught a customer unawares and
    they have not been able to get around the problem except by switching to one
    of the other products.

    For myself, I'm a long time ghost user. I ran into problems with ghost
    running extremely slow on certain disk controllers. I found away around it
    with the command line switches that worked for these particular controllers.
    Others ran into the same problem. The command line switches didn't help.
    They switched to Drive Image which backed up their partitions even faster
    than I could using Ghost. Same sized partitions, same contents. Some vendors
    refuse to support certain disk configurations while others do. If you don't
    happen to use that configuration, it's no big deal, but if you're the one who
    happens to have it, it's a big deal, so you have to switch products.

    I've run into a problem with Ghost 8 that prevents it from doing what it's
    supposed to. I've figured out what it's doing wrong too, but I can't think
    of a way to fix it. So I'm going to try Ghost 2003, which might work. But
    I'm also going to try Drive Image and True Image to see if they do a better
    job.

    Best of luck on our hunt for drive image software. Maybe it will be built i
    nto the next version of Windows?

    "rello" <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
    > Reading the reviews etc through google one gets the impression that
    > drive imaging software is fraught with many problems...thge 3 most
    > mentioned prioducts
    > norton ghost
    > drveimage
    > acronis drive image 6 [true image 7]
    > i saw either really good but mostly really bad reviews
    > which software is the one to use??
    > thanks for your guidance
    >
    > relloman

    I use V2i Protector, DI7's big brother. It's nice for making incremental
    images.I always use TrueImage 6 every now and then for straight forward
    image creation and restoration, also pleased with that.

    --
    Joep

    Its not so much that the software is full of problems, its just that imaging
    a drive and using that image again isn't always easy. There is a lot of
    stuff you need to know.

    I don't mean to sound negative but your post is kind of like saying "I read
    about those car fixing wrenches and how they are fraught with problems."
    You see, having the wrench isn't ALL you need.

    I have used Ghost and DriveImage and I feel like I can accomplish any
    imaging tasks I need to do with either product. Never have used acronis.

    --Dan

    rello wrote:
    > Reading the reviews etc through google one gets the impression that
    > drive imaging software is fraught with many problems...thge 3 most
    > mentioned prioducts
    > norton ghost
    > drveimage
    > acronis drive image 6 [true image 7]
    > i saw either really good but mostly really bad reviews
    > which software is the one to use??
    > thanks for your guidance

    I'm a fan of Acronis True Image. Ghost's somewhat ambiguous wording/UI
    in places has caused me to lose data on a couple of occasions. The
    advantages of TrueImage over a program like ghost include:
    - Incremental Backups
    - Scheduled Backups
    - Backup without needing to exit Windows
    - Linux filesystem support (EXT2/3, ReiserFS)
    - Native support for backup over "Network Neighborhood" (SMB)

    Disadvantages of True Image:
    - Because the rescue disk is Linux based, some hardware configurations
    which don't "play well" with Linux will also not play well with the
    Acronis rescue software. (google for previous thread with "T40")
    - I cannot vouch for this, but I have heard that the tech support for
    the software is somewhat lacking.

    I haven't used it myself, but V2i Protector seems to have similar
    features. (At about 2x the price)

    -WD

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 17:21:27 GMT, Will Dormann
    <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
    >I'm a fan of Acronis True Image. Ghost's somewhat ambiguous wording/UI
    >in places has caused me to lose data on a couple of occasions. The
    >advantages of TrueImage over a program like ghost include:
    >- Incremental Backups
    >- Scheduled Backups
    >- Backup without needing to exit Windows
    >- Linux filesystem support (EXT2/3, ReiserFS)
    >- Native support for backup over "Network Neighborhood" (SMB)

    I also like TI7 for all these reasons. The wizards are very simple
    and straightforward, especially compared to Ghost, and it's been
    reliable for me. This simplicity may be a liability if you have a
    setup that it doesn't like, but my success rate has been very good so
    far. They also update it pretty regularly to support new hardware and
    such.

    >Disadvantages of True Image:
    >- Because the rescue disk is Linux based, some hardware configurations
    >which don't "play well" with Linux will also not play well with the
    >Acronis rescue software. (google for previous thread with "T40")
    >- I cannot vouch for this, but I have heard that the tech support for
    >the software is somewhat lacking.

    I ran into this with an older VAIO laptop, which is not something to
    hold against TI7 necessarily (if you know VAIOs).

    The tech support is not very real-time. I've had to wait days for
    password robustness got the answer "It's not very strong. If you can
    crack zip passwords, you can crack ours.", which shows the guy who
    answered didn't really understand password robustness.

    "Neil Maxwell" <neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote in message news:ptff9013b74rcu6kh2lekco73c2mjcj25f@4ax.com
    > On Mon, 03 May 2004 17:21:27 GMT, Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
    > > I'm a fan of Acronis True Image. ......

    [snip]

    > The tech support is not very real-time. I've had to wait days for
    > password robustness got the answer "It's not very strong. If you can
    > crack zip passwords, you can crack ours.", which

    > shows the guy who answered didn't really understand password robustness.

    Well, maybe you could tell us what "password robustness" really is about then.

    > Neil Maxwell - I don't speak for my employer

Software Storage