New HD for Old Computer

I have an old computer that I loaded with linux and am using as a
network gateway and firewall. The ASUS SP97-V MB supports UDMA/33 and
the existing Caviar 31600 drive is starting to have sector errors. A
quick scan of Priceline shows that for around $40, I can get either a
5400 rpm drive or an 7200 rpm ATA/133 drive.

Since my chipset doesn't support ATA 100 or 133, does that mean that I
should stick with the 5400 rpm drive?

--
Bob Simon
remove x from domain to reply

Bob Simon wrote:
> I have an old computer that I loaded with linux and am using as a
> network gateway and firewall. The ASUS SP97-V MB supports UDMA/33 and
> the existing Caviar 31600 drive is starting to have sector errors. A
> quick scan of Priceline shows that for around $40, I can get either a
> 5400 rpm drive or an 7200 rpm ATA/133 drive.
>
> Since my chipset doesn't support ATA 100 or 133, does that mean that I
> should stick with the 5400 rpm drive?

The 5400RPM drive very likely uses the ATA100/133 interface unless it's old
stock or a refurb. A 7200RPM is more common. You will also need a PCI
controller card. Promise or HighPoint are good names.