Hard drive crash twice!

Can anyone help?
My computer wouldn't boot up one day and I had to reformat, load
everything again and it was fine. I did a scan for viruses and found
nothing.
Then a couple of weeks later it has done the same thing again. What's
going on?

It was running Win ME.
Ade
3 answers Last reply
More about hard drive crash twice

    Adrian wrote:

    > Can anyone help?
    > My computer wouldn't boot up one day and I had to reformat, load
    > everything again and it was fine. I did a scan for viruses and found
    > nothing.
    > Then a couple of weeks later it has done the same thing again. What's
    > going on?

    If your hard drive "crashed", that implies that there is a physical
    problem with the drive.
    i.e., until you replace the drive you will probably continue to notice
    problems.

    Run the diagnostic software from the drive's manufacturer to see what it
    says.

    -WD

    "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:OpPlc.64222$Vp5.32802@fe2.columbus.rr.com
    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone help?
    > > My computer wouldn't boot up one day and I had to reformat, load
    > > everything again and it was fine. I did a scan for viruses and found
    > > nothing.
    > > Then a couple of weeks later it has done the same thing again.
    > > What's going on?
    >

    > If your hard drive "crashed",

    Harddrives do not crash (unless you like to throw them around).

    > that implies that there is a physical problem with the drive.

    So no, it doesn't. It can be anything.

    > i.e., until you replace the drive you will probably continue to notice problems.
    >
    > Run the diagnostic software from the drive's manufacturer to see what it says.
    >

    > -WD

    OK, sorry about the 'crash' wording.
    I tried using a boot disc and it says that there is no FAT or FAT 32
    partition. Last time this happened - a couple of weeks ago. I did
    solve it by using Fdisk, and setting up the hard drive again and it
    was fine. I loaded back Windows and software including the AV which
    found nothing.
    What worries me is that it has now done exactly the same thing. Why
    should cause it to happen? Maybe there is still a virus in there
    somewhere?
    The first time it happened I had another hard drive in as well which
    had its folders all renamed and unreadable. I took this out to send
    it off to someone to see if they could retrieve any of my photos. I
    haven't put it back it yet as I haven't found anywhere to send it.
    M thanks
    ADrian

Crash Hard Drives Storage