Hard drive crash twice!

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Can anyone help?
My computer wouldn't boot up one day and I had to reformat, load
everything again and it was fine. I did a scan for viruses and found
nothing.
Then a couple of weeks later it has done the same thing again. What's
going on?

It was running Win ME.
Ade

Adrian wrote:

> Can anyone help?
> My computer wouldn't boot up one day and I had to reformat, load
> everything again and it was fine. I did a scan for viruses and found
> nothing.
> Then a couple of weeks later it has done the same thing again. What's
> going on?

If your hard drive "crashed", that implies that there is a physical
problem with the drive.
i.e., until you replace the drive you will probably continue to notice
problems.

Run the diagnostic software from the drive's manufacturer to see what it
says.

-WD

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:OpPlc.64222$Vp5.32802@fe2.columbus.rr.com
> Adrian wrote:
>
> > Can anyone help?
> > My computer wouldn't boot up one day and I had to reformat, load
> > everything again and it was fine. I did a scan for viruses and found
> > nothing.
> > Then a couple of weeks later it has done the same thing again.
> > What's going on?
>

> If your hard drive "crashed",

Harddrives do not crash (unless you like to throw them around).

> that implies that there is a physical problem with the drive.

So no, it doesn't. It can be anything.

> i.e., until you replace the drive you will probably continue to notice problems.
>
> Run the diagnostic software from the drive's manufacturer to see what it says.
>

> -WD

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

OK, sorry about the 'crash' wording.
I tried using a boot disc and it says that there is no FAT or FAT 32
partition. Last time this happened - a couple of weeks ago. I did
solve it by using Fdisk, and setting up the hard drive again and it
was fine. I loaded back Windows and software including the AV which
found nothing.
What worries me is that it has now done exactly the same thing. Why
should cause it to happen? Maybe there is still a virus in there
somewhere?
The first time it happened I had another hard drive in as well which
had its folders all renamed and unreadable. I took this out to send
it off to someone to see if they could retrieve any of my photos. I
haven't put it back it yet as I haven't found anywhere to send it.
M thanks
ADrian