Error while trying to run programs from RAID0 drive

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
May 5, 2004 1:09:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows98 (More info?)

Hi,

I'm having slight problems while migrating from my old drive to my new
RAID0 array.

I have simply copied all of the files to the new drive, including some
programs. While the drive letters remain the same from the program's
point of view, I still had to fix a lot of broken registry.

Now that I'm done cleaning the registry for missing DLLs and so on, a
specific two of my programs refuse to run because of something like
"Windows cannot run this program because it is in an invalid format". If
I reinstall the programs over the existing copies, they sometimes work,
but not always and never after a reboot.

The programs having problems are the Thunderbird e-mail program and my
AV anti-virus scanning program (the guard program works fine).

They worked fine if I copied them to the system disk, which is a normal
disk, but there is no real space on that drive to do that (approx 100 MB
free, with the SWAP file being located on the RAID0 drive).

What do I do??

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 5, 2004 1:53:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows98 (More info?)

Im not sure that I understand this completely, but it sounds to me that your
problem is not because of the RAID 0 drive, but rather because of incorrect
program migration technique (that sounds pretty cool doesn't it).

The solution is to correctly install the programs that are not working.
Your email software most likely has an export/import feature-use it. You
should just do a new install of your antivirus software, you do have the
original disk right?

Good luck,
--Dan

"Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm having slight problems while migrating from my old drive to my new
> RAID0 array.
>
> I have simply copied all of the files to the new drive, including some
> programs. While the drive letters remain the same from the program's
> point of view, I still had to fix a lot of broken registry.
>
> Now that I'm done cleaning the registry for missing DLLs and so on, a
> specific two of my programs refuse to run because of something like
> "Windows cannot run this program because it is in an invalid format". If
> I reinstall the programs over the existing copies, they sometimes work,
> but not always and never after a reboot.
>
> The programs having problems are the Thunderbird e-mail program and my
> AV anti-virus scanning program (the guard program works fine).
>
> They worked fine if I copied them to the system disk, which is a normal
> disk, but there is no real space on that drive to do that (approx 100 MB
> free, with the SWAP file being located on the RAID0 drive).
>
> What do I do??
>
> Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 5, 2004 3:48:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows98 (More info?)

On Tue, 04 May 2004 21:09:19 +0200, Jure Sah <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm having slight problems while migrating from my old drive to my new
>RAID0 array.
>
>I have simply copied all of the files to the new drive, including some
>programs. While the drive letters remain the same from the program's
>point of view, I still had to fix a lot of broken registry.
>
>Now that I'm done cleaning the registry for missing DLLs and so on, a
>specific two of my programs refuse to run because of something like
>"Windows cannot run this program because it is in an invalid format". If
>I reinstall the programs over the existing copies, they sometimes work,
>but not always and never after a reboot.
>
>The programs having problems are the Thunderbird e-mail program and my
>AV anti-virus scanning program (the guard program works fine).
>
>They worked fine if I copied them to the system disk, which is a normal
>disk, but there is no real space on that drive to do that (approx 100 MB
>free, with the SWAP file being located on the RAID0 drive).
>
>What do I do??
>
>Thanks in advance.
Did you first install Windows on the new drive, then copy files from
old drive? If so, you can expect many registrry errors. You have to
clone the old drive to the new drive & then update for any differences
in drivers for the new PC to keep the old programs runninng.
a b G Storage
May 6, 2004 3:17:36 AM

here_and_there wrote:
> Did you first install Windows on the new drive, then copy files from
> old drive? If so, you can expect many registrry errors. You have to
> clone the old drive to the new drive & then update for any differences
> in drivers for the new PC to keep the old programs runninng.

Please when you read, do read.

I didn't move my Windows anywhere. I copied some of my programs to the
new drive and then removed the old drive, so that drive letters, and
thus all the paths match exactly... and that's beside the point as I
have repaired the registry manualy and Windows isn't missing any DLLs
that weren't missing in the first place.

The thing is that windows claims it cannot run the EXEs because "the
file is in an invalid format". After I overwrite the EXE with a second
copy of it, it sometimes works, but not always and never after a reboot.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 7, 2004 1:22:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows98 (More info?)

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in

> Way to go, Grinch, responding to an obvious newsnet troll telling it to
> stop doing what it does best. There goes whatever reputation you have.

I don't need a reputation. Honest.
!