moving second drive

I've got a second WD250 on a promise controller card on one win2k NTFS
machine. I'm building a new computer and want to move this drive
over.

I'm booting off another drive and have loaded the same win2k os.
The IDE controller is now a VIA chipset (although I have questions as
to whether it is somehow more promise technology ;)

Does the NTFS/win2k allow you to simply move the secondary data drive
to the new machine ?
2 answers Last reply
More about moving drive

    Secondary drive? No problem! It is formatted as a BASIC disk right? Not a
    dynamic disk? I have no experience with swapping a dynamic disk, so all
    bets are off if that is the case.

    --Dan

    <bill@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > I've got a second WD250 on a promise controller card on one win2k NTFS
    > machine. I'm building a new computer and want to move this drive
    > over.
    >
    > I'm booting off another drive and have loaded the same win2k os.
    > The IDE controller is now a VIA chipset (although I have questions as
    > to whether it is somehow more promise technology ;)
    >
    > Does the NTFS/win2k allow you to simply move the secondary data drive
    > to the new machine ?

    Yep, it's a simple, single, Win2k, NTFS drive off a Promise
    controller card. I recall something about NTFS stores drive data on
    the drive rather than in the registry or something similar, so it
    sounded very portable.

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 16:51:51 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Secondary drive? No problem! It is formatted as a BASIC disk right? Not a
    >dynamic disk? I have no experience with swapping a dynamic disk, so all
    >bets are off if that is the case.
    >
    >--Dan
    >
    ><bill@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've got a second WD250 on a promise controller card on one win2k NTFS
    >> machine. I'm building a new computer and want to move this drive
    >> over.
    >>
    >> I'm booting off another drive and have loaded the same win2k os.
    >> The IDE controller is now a VIA chipset (although I have questions as
    >> to whether it is somehow more promise technology ;)
    >>
    >> Does the NTFS/win2k allow you to simply move the secondary data drive
    >> to the new machine ?

Controller Storage