moving second drive

bill

I've got a second WD250 on a promise controller card on one win2k NTFS
machine. I'm building a new computer and want to move this drive
over.

I'm booting off another drive and have loaded the same win2k os.
The IDE controller is now a VIA chipset (although I have questions as
to whether it is somehow more promise technology ;)

Does the NTFS/win2k allow you to simply move the secondary data drive
to the new machine ?

Secondary drive? No problem! It is formatted as a BASIC disk right? Not a
dynamic disk? I have no experience with swapping a dynamic disk, so all
bets are off if that is the case.

--Dan

<bill@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I've got a second WD250 on a promise controller card on one win2k NTFS
> machine. I'm building a new computer and want to move this drive
> over.
>
> I'm booting off another drive and have loaded the same win2k os.
> The IDE controller is now a VIA chipset (although I have questions as
> to whether it is somehow more promise technology ;)
>
> Does the NTFS/win2k allow you to simply move the secondary data drive
> to the new machine ?

bill

Yep, it's a simple, single, Win2k, NTFS drive off a Promise
controller card. I recall something about NTFS stores drive data on
the drive rather than in the registry or something similar, so it
sounded very portable.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 16:51:51 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Secondary drive? No problem! It is formatted as a BASIC disk right? Not a
>dynamic disk? I have no experience with swapping a dynamic disk, so all
>bets are off if that is the case.
>
>--Dan
>
><bill@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I've got a second WD250 on a promise controller card on one win2k NTFS
>> machine. I'm building a new computer and want to move this drive
>> over.
>>
>> I'm booting off another drive and have loaded the same win2k os.
>> The IDE controller is now a VIA chipset (although I have questions as
>> to whether it is somehow more promise technology ;)
>>
>> Does the NTFS/win2k allow you to simply move the secondary data drive
>> to the new machine ?

Latest posts