SIM # for Cingular Nation GSM in Texas?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 29, 2004 7:33:54 PM

I'm moving to Texas in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to upgrade my
cellular service to a Cingular Nation GSM plan, but didn't have a GSM
phone and haven't been under contract long enough to get a deal on a
phone upgrade from Cingular.
Anyway, I picked up a GSM phone on eBay, without a SIM. I have also
ordered a Cingular SIM on eBay. I jumped the gun a little and
purchased the SIM before doing my homework, so I'd like to check and
see if this SIM will be compatible with a Cingular Nation GSM plan in
Texas. The first 8 digits of the 20 digit ICCID# are 89014101.

Thanks!
Dan
May 29, 2004 11:53:58 PM

On 29 May 2004 15:33:54 -0700, dans@aristotle.net (Daniel) wrote:

>Anyway, I picked up a GSM phone on eBay, without a SIM. I have also
>ordered a Cingular SIM on eBay. I jumped the gun a little and
>purchased the SIM before doing my homework, so I'd like to check and
>see if this SIM will be compatible with a Cingular Nation GSM plan in
>Texas. The first 8 digits of the 20 digit ICCID# are 89014101.

I have no clue what an ICCID# is. GSM phones use IMEIs if that's what
you're referring to. What's more important for you is to make sure
you get a GSM phone that's compatible with the frequencies used in
your area. In most likelihood you'll need a phone that will do 850
and 1900 Mhz and probably will require 850 to use at all in Texas
unless you happen to be in an area that has GSM 1900.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 3:02:03 AM

As far as I know, Cingular will not activate a used SIM.
You have to purchase one from them at $25 each. Go to any Cingular store to
purchase one.

"Daniel" <dans@aristotle.net> wrote in message
> I'm moving to Texas in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to upgrade my
> cellular service to a Cingular Nation GSM plan, but didn't have a GSM
> phone and haven't been under contract long enough to get a deal on a
> phone upgrade from Cingular.
> Anyway, I picked up a GSM phone on eBay, without a SIM. I have also
> ordered a Cingular SIM on eBay. I jumped the gun a little and
> purchased the SIM before doing my homework, so I'd like to check and
> see if this SIM will be compatible with a Cingular Nation GSM plan in
> Texas. The first 8 digits of the 20 digit ICCID# are 89014101.
>
> Thanks!
> Dan
Related resources
May 30, 2004 3:02:04 AM

On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:02:03 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:

>As far as I know, Cingular will not activate a used SIM.
>You have to purchase one from them at $25 each. Go to any Cingular store to
>purchase one

The people who sell SIMs on eBay for all the carriers sell unactivated
SIMs (or at least those who are reputable.)

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 7:19:26 AM

Previously activated or unactivated SIM, I don't believe that Cingular will
activate a SIM provided by the customer. However, there's no harm in
asking.

Daniel, please let us know what the outcome is.

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:02:03 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> >As far as I know, Cingular will not activate a used SIM.
> >You have to purchase one from them at $25 each. Go to any Cingular store
> >purchase one
>
> The people who sell SIMs on eBay for all the carriers sell unactivated
> SIMs (or at least those who are reputable.)

> remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 5:17:15 PM

>I'd like to check and
>see if this SIM will be compatible with a Cingular Nation GSM plan in
>Texas.

A SIM is a SIM is a SIM. The information is stored on the SIM AFTER you sign up
for a contract. Any contract.

The only difference that I can think of is the supposed difference in the SIM
in a GAIT phone, although I don't think that there is any real difference in
the SIM, just the information stored on it.

--
John S.
May 30, 2004 5:18:22 PM

>As far as I know, Cingular will not activate a used SIM.
>You have to purchase one from them at $25 each. Go to any Cingular store to
>purchase one.

It's probably un-used. I got an AT&T WS SIM this same way, bought it on E-Bay
for $10 or so.

--
John S.
May 30, 2004 5:20:11 PM

>I have no clue what an ICCID# is.

On all SIM's there is a LONG serial number. That is the number he was refering
to. It is what would be used to activate that SIM.

--
John S.
May 31, 2004 1:02:37 AM

"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote:
> A SIM is a SIM is a SIM. The information is stored on the SIM AFTER you
sign up
> for a contract. Any contract.
>
> The only difference that I can think of is the supposed difference in the
SIM
> in a GAIT phone, although I don't think that there is any real difference
in
> the SIM, just the information stored on it.

Actually there are differences with SIM cards from different manufacturers,
unfortunately. Speaking specifically about "smart-phone" devices, certain
SIM cards are more reliable than others.

For the most part, you are correct. But there is a reason why carriers like
Cingular purchase SIM cards from three different SIM makers.

---
MD
May 31, 2004 1:03:43 AM

"Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:
> As far as I know, Cingular will not activate a used SIM.
> You have to purchase one from them at $25 each. Go to any Cingular store
> purchase one.

SIM Cards are free from Cingular, based on my experience. I just IM-ed a
friend of mine and she's never paid for one either.

---
MD
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 6:10:41 AM

> SIM Cards are free from Cingular, based on my experience. I just IM-ed a
> friend of mine and she's never paid for one either.

Yes, a SIM card is free from Cingular if you sign-up for a new contract.
But if you need to activate a sim card for use with your existing phone,
then the cost is $25.
!