Extra logical drive appears, can't understand this

I just built a Win98SE system using some new but mostly old parts. The
Maxtor 20GB drive is one of the old parts, and this is a drive that I had
previously partitioned into 15 and 5 GB. I installed Win98SE on logical
drive C of course, the 15GB partition, after deleting everything, but I did
not reformat as I knew it was already FAT32.

After finishing the installation with all motherboard and hardware drivers,
at some point I saw that I not only had a second 5GB logical drive D, but
also a THIRD logical drive E. Where that came from I have no idea, since I'm
sure I had originally partitioned the HD in only two. I couldn't access E,
Windows told me it wasn't formatted and asked if I wanted to do that, so I
did. I thought it might be some small space left over previously for some
unknown reason. But when I formatted it it turned out to be another whole
5GB logical drive.

This is obviously impossible, my having 25 GB of logical drives on a 20GB
hard disk. Yet everything seems to work. I thought that D and E might
actually be the same space, but this doesn't seem to be so. If I copy some
files to drive D and other files to E, that's where they go and they show up
separately on those two drives. If I go to the MS-DOS prompt it's the same,
D and E appear to be separate drives with separate contents.

Poking around in System Properties | Performance shows that "Drive D is
using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system," but there's no apparent
performance problem and I can't find anything on Microsoft's site that
explains or has any bearing on this.

I'm not using any disk compression or anything like Disk Manager, etc. The
motherboard is a new DFI AZ30-TL and all the related drivers are from the
CD-ROM supplied with it.

Any ideas about what's going on here?

"Neil Harrington" <not.here@ultranet.com> wrote in message
> I just built a Win98SE system using some new but mostly old parts. The
> Maxtor 20GB drive is one of the old parts, and this is a drive that I had
> previously partitioned into 15 and 5 GB. I installed Win98SE on logical
> drive C of course, the 15GB partition, after deleting everything, but I
did

I stopped reading with any interest after this.

> not reformat as I knew it was already FAT32.
>
> After finishing the installation with all motherboard and hardware
drivers,
> at some point I saw that I not only had a second 5GB logical drive D, but
> also a THIRD logical drive E. Where that came from I have no idea, since
I'm
> sure I had originally partitioned the HD in only two. I couldn't access E,
> Windows told me it wasn't formatted and asked if I wanted to do that, so I
> did. I thought it might be some small space left over previously for some
> unknown reason. But when I formatted it it turned out to be another whole
> 5GB logical drive.

At this point, I was saying to myself "yep, right, uh-huh, sure, whatever
you say"

> This is obviously impossible, my having 25 GB of logical drives on a 20GB
> hard disk. Yet everything seems to work. I thought that D and E might
> actually be the same space, but this doesn't seem to be so. If I copy some
> files to drive D and other files to E, that's where they go and they show
up
> separately on those two drives. If I go to the MS-DOS prompt it's the
same,
> D and E appear to be separate drives with separate contents.
>
> Poking around in System Properties | Performance shows that "Drive D is
> using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system," but there's no apparent
> performance problem and I can't find anything on Microsoft's site that
> explains or has any bearing on this.
>
> I'm not using any disk compression or anything like Disk Manager, etc. The
> motherboard is a new DFI AZ30-TL and all the related drivers are from the
> CD-ROM supplied with it.
>
> Any ideas about what's going on here?

Yep, got lots of ideas about what''s going on here.
But this is a nice newsgroup, so I can't say as am not a politically correct
person.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:07:03 GMT, "Neil Harrington"
<not.here@ultranet.com> wrote:

>Subject: Extra logical drive appears, can't understand this

To see if it is a partition table issue, you can download Findpart at

http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm

do:

findpart all fp.txt

and insert (not attach) the output here.
--
Svend Olaf

Svend, thanks very much. The problem is fixed, though I still don't
understand it. :-/

As mentioned, going to the MS-DOS prompt showed drives C, D and E. But when
I restarted in MS-DOS mode, only drives C and D showed up. This made me
think I was right previously about D and E actually being the same space,
perhaps with two different FATs or something like that to explain why files
sent to D and E showed up on those drives respectively.

I booted from the Win98 setup disk and reformatted drive D, since that
seemed to be the cause of the problem. When I restarted from the HD it
started in Safe mode, and presto, E was gone. A normal restart and E is
still gone, so now everything is the way it should be.

That does look like a very useful utility though, and I will download it.

Thanks again.

Neil

> "Neil Harrington" <not.here@ultranet.com> wrote in message
> > I just built a Win98SE system using some new but mostly old parts. The
> > Maxtor 20GB drive is one of the old parts, and this is a drive that I
had
> > previously partitioned into 15 and 5 GB. I installed Win98SE on logical
> > drive C of course, the 15GB partition, after deleting everything, but I
> did
>
> I stopped reading with any interest after this.
>
> > not reformat as I knew it was already FAT32.
> >
> > After finishing the installation with all motherboard and hardware
> drivers,
> > at some point I saw that I not only had a second 5GB logical drive D,
but
> > also a THIRD logical drive E. Where that came from I have no idea, since
> I'm
> > sure I had originally partitioned the HD in only two. I couldn't access
E,
> > Windows told me it wasn't formatted and asked if I wanted to do that, so
> > did. I thought it might be some small space left over previously for
some
> > unknown reason. But when I formatted it it turned out to be another
whole
> > 5GB logical drive.
>
> At this point, I was saying to myself "yep, right, uh-huh, sure, whatever
> you say"
>

> > This is obviously impossible, my having 25 GB of logical drives on a
20GB
> > hard disk. Yet everything seems to work. I thought that D and E might
> > actually be the same space, but this doesn't seem to be so. If I copy
some
> > files to drive D and other files to E, that's where they go and they
show
> up
> > separately on those two drives. If I go to the MS-DOS prompt it's the
> same,
> > D and E appear to be separate drives with separate contents.
> >
> > Poking around in System Properties | Performance shows that "Drive D is
> > using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system," but there's no apparent
> > performance problem and I can't find anything on Microsoft's site that
> > explains or has any bearing on this.
> >
> > I'm not using any disk compression or anything like Disk Manager, etc.
The
> > motherboard is a new DFI AZ30-TL and all the related drivers are from
the
> > CD-ROM supplied with it.
> >
> > Any ideas about what's going on here?
> >

> Yep, got lots of ideas about what''s going on here.
> But this is a nice newsgroup, so I can't say as am not a politically
correct
> person.

It's been just wonderful hearing from you anyway.

"Neil Harrington" <not.here@ultranet.com> wrote:

>It's been just wonderful hearing from you anyway.

Why not snip that pollution that you two Outhouse users left? It's
not like it was readable.