Extra logical drive appears, can't understand this

I just built a Win98SE system using some new but mostly old parts. The
Maxtor 20GB drive is one of the old parts, and this is a drive that I had
previously partitioned into 15 and 5 GB. I installed Win98SE on logical
drive C of course, the 15GB partition, after deleting everything, but I did
not reformat as I knew it was already FAT32.

After finishing the installation with all motherboard and hardware drivers,
at some point I saw that I not only had a second 5GB logical drive D, but
also a THIRD logical drive E. Where that came from I have no idea, since I'm
sure I had originally partitioned the HD in only two. I couldn't access E,
Windows told me it wasn't formatted and asked if I wanted to do that, so I
did. I thought it might be some small space left over previously for some
unknown reason. But when I formatted it it turned out to be another whole
5GB logical drive.

This is obviously impossible, my having 25 GB of logical drives on a 20GB
hard disk. Yet everything seems to work. I thought that D and E might
actually be the same space, but this doesn't seem to be so. If I copy some
files to drive D and other files to E, that's where they go and they show up
separately on those two drives. If I go to the MS-DOS prompt it's the same,
D and E appear to be separate drives with separate contents.

Poking around in System Properties | Performance shows that "Drive D is
using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system," but there's no apparent
performance problem and I can't find anything on Microsoft's site that
explains or has any bearing on this.

I'm not using any disk compression or anything like Disk Manager, etc. The
motherboard is a new DFI AZ30-TL and all the related drivers are from the
CD-ROM supplied with it.

Any ideas about what's going on here?
5 answers Last reply
More about extra logical drive appears understand this

    "Neil Harrington" <not.here@ultranet.com> wrote in message
    > I just built a Win98SE system using some new but mostly old parts. The
    > Maxtor 20GB drive is one of the old parts, and this is a drive that I had
    > previously partitioned into 15 and 5 GB. I installed Win98SE on logical
    > drive C of course, the 15GB partition, after deleting everything, but I
    did

    I stopped reading with any interest after this.

    > not reformat as I knew it was already FAT32.
    >
    > After finishing the installation with all motherboard and hardware
    drivers,
    > at some point I saw that I not only had a second 5GB logical drive D, but
    > also a THIRD logical drive E. Where that came from I have no idea, since
    I'm
    > sure I had originally partitioned the HD in only two. I couldn't access E,
    > Windows told me it wasn't formatted and asked if I wanted to do that, so I
    > did. I thought it might be some small space left over previously for some
    > unknown reason. But when I formatted it it turned out to be another whole
    > 5GB logical drive.

    At this point, I was saying to myself "yep, right, uh-huh, sure, whatever
    you say"

    > This is obviously impossible, my having 25 GB of logical drives on a 20GB
    > hard disk. Yet everything seems to work. I thought that D and E might
    > actually be the same space, but this doesn't seem to be so. If I copy some
    > files to drive D and other files to E, that's where they go and they show
    up
    > separately on those two drives. If I go to the MS-DOS prompt it's the
    same,
    > D and E appear to be separate drives with separate contents.
    >
    > Poking around in System Properties | Performance shows that "Drive D is
    > using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system," but there's no apparent
    > performance problem and I can't find anything on Microsoft's site that
    > explains or has any bearing on this.
    >
    > I'm not using any disk compression or anything like Disk Manager, etc. The
    > motherboard is a new DFI AZ30-TL and all the related drivers are from the
    > CD-ROM supplied with it.
    >
    > Any ideas about what's going on here?

    Yep, got lots of ideas about what''s going on here.
    But this is a nice newsgroup, so I can't say as am not a politically correct
    person.

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:07:03 GMT, "Neil Harrington"
    <not.here@ultranet.com> wrote:

    >Subject: Extra logical drive appears, can't understand this

    To see if it is a partition table issue, you can download Findpart at

    http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm

    do:

    findpart all fp.txt

    and insert (not attach) the output here.
    --
    Svend Olaf

    Svend, thanks very much. The problem is fixed, though I still don't
    understand it. :-/

    As mentioned, going to the MS-DOS prompt showed drives C, D and E. But when
    I restarted in MS-DOS mode, only drives C and D showed up. This made me
    think I was right previously about D and E actually being the same space,
    perhaps with two different FATs or something like that to explain why files
    sent to D and E showed up on those drives respectively.

    I booted from the Win98 setup disk and reformatted drive D, since that
    seemed to be the cause of the problem. When I restarted from the HD it
    started in Safe mode, and presto, E was gone. A normal restart and E is
    still gone, so now everything is the way it should be.

    That does look like a very useful utility though, and I will download it.

    Thanks again.

    Neil

    > "Neil Harrington" <not.here@ultranet.com> wrote in message
    > > I just built a Win98SE system using some new but mostly old parts. The
    > > Maxtor 20GB drive is one of the old parts, and this is a drive that I
    had
    > > previously partitioned into 15 and 5 GB. I installed Win98SE on logical
    > > drive C of course, the 15GB partition, after deleting everything, but I
    > did
    >
    > I stopped reading with any interest after this.
    >
    > > not reformat as I knew it was already FAT32.
    > >
    > > After finishing the installation with all motherboard and hardware
    > drivers,
    > > at some point I saw that I not only had a second 5GB logical drive D,
    but
    > > also a THIRD logical drive E. Where that came from I have no idea, since
    > I'm
    > > sure I had originally partitioned the HD in only two. I couldn't access
    E,
    > > Windows told me it wasn't formatted and asked if I wanted to do that, so
    > > did. I thought it might be some small space left over previously for
    some
    > > unknown reason. But when I formatted it it turned out to be another
    whole
    > > 5GB logical drive.
    >
    > At this point, I was saying to myself "yep, right, uh-huh, sure, whatever
    > you say"
    >

    > > This is obviously impossible, my having 25 GB of logical drives on a
    20GB
    > > hard disk. Yet everything seems to work. I thought that D and E might
    > > actually be the same space, but this doesn't seem to be so. If I copy
    some
    > > files to drive D and other files to E, that's where they go and they
    show
    > up
    > > separately on those two drives. If I go to the MS-DOS prompt it's the
    > same,
    > > D and E appear to be separate drives with separate contents.
    > >
    > > Poking around in System Properties | Performance shows that "Drive D is
    > > using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system," but there's no apparent
    > > performance problem and I can't find anything on Microsoft's site that
    > > explains or has any bearing on this.
    > >
    > > I'm not using any disk compression or anything like Disk Manager, etc.
    The
    > > motherboard is a new DFI AZ30-TL and all the related drivers are from
    the
    > > CD-ROM supplied with it.
    > >
    > > Any ideas about what's going on here?
    > >

    > Yep, got lots of ideas about what''s going on here.
    > But this is a nice newsgroup, so I can't say as am not a politically
    correct
    > person.

    It's been just wonderful hearing from you anyway.

    "Neil Harrington" <not.here@ultranet.com> wrote:

    >It's been just wonderful hearing from you anyway.

    Why not snip that pollution that you two Outhouse users left? It's
    not like it was readable.

Hardware Storage