AIT2 or 3 tape drives vs VXA-2

Anyone have any advice on VXA-2 tape drives versus AIT 2 or 3? The AIT 3
drives are more expensive (also faster and greater capacity), but the tapes
are cheaper than VXA, even though VXA is less capacity. VXA is Exabyte only,
while AIT is Sony, but AIT seems to have been shared with some other
manufacturers like HP. Someone told me HP dropped AIT recently though.

Does anyone have any info on which is more reliable, and which might be
around longer? We're moving up from DDS-4.

Thanks!

--Randy Starkey

> Anyone have any advice on VXA-2 tape drives versus AIT 2 or 3? The AIT 3
> drives are more expensive (also faster and greater capacity), but the tapes
> are cheaper than VXA, even though VXA is less capacity. VXA is Exabyte only,
> while AIT is Sony, but AIT seems to have been shared with some other
> manufacturers like HP. Someone told me HP dropped AIT recently though.

We have used a VXA-2 for the last year or so. Works OK but does
not compress very well. Seems like the most that we can get on it is
110 GB. Dont know if this is a speed issue or a compression issue.

We are now going to move to external backup drives. I am using the
WD 200 GB USB2 drive.

Lynn

OK. Thanks. We do a 30 day backup rotation so we need to go tape. The HD's
are to sensitive to dropping etc. and I can't buy 30 of them <g>. Anyone
using AIT-3 that can comment?

Thanks!

--Randy Starkey