US vs EU pc game packagings

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

US vs EU pc game packagings

for some time i wanted to make this post, to deal with the differences
between the states and europe have in pc game packaging
don't know why pc games have different packagings in the US and in EU
probably cause manufacturing costs of cardboard are lower in the states
or the need to defend the jewel case industry but the reasons are not
what made me write but instead analyze both and decide what is best in
the point of view of the pc gamer

first lets do a brief description of both packagings

- US pc game packaging
small cardboard box with inside manual, quick reference card and jewel
case for storing the game cds

- EU pc game packaging
small plastic box, the ones used in dvd movies with inside manual, quick
reference card and cd stores in the box itself

so lets begin...
.. box
both have the same front size but the US packaging is bigger sideways,
the extra space in the US box is a plus and also the US cardboard is
much better for high quality print-out covers, the plus in the EU box
is it being more durable cause its made of plastic
box winner: US packaging

.. manual
for what i've notice we can consider manual the same for each packaging
cause differences in paper quality and print out are not very important
manual winner: tie

.. cd storing
we have the good reliable jewel case for the US packaging and plastic
dvd style box for the EU packaging, and although they are different i
feel they both do the job very well
cd storing winner: tie

.. overall
the US packaging has better cover quality and more space, its the one
most "pretty" of them both, but the EU packaging is more durable and
integrated so basically they both are very good
overall winner: tie

if i could choose, which i can't cause i'm stuck with the EU packaging,
i would pick both, i would like to have variety in my pc game collection
and own both US and EU packaging based pc games
for my favorite pc games i would choose the US packaging and for all the
others i would choose the EU packaging
the US packaging is more for the pc gamer collector, a pc gamer that
fancies a good well designed cover and knows how to take care of it
the EU packaging is more for the young less careful pc gamer which can't
keep the different pieces of a pc game packaging together and doesn't
take good care of its pc games, so with the EU he will not have any
problem cause the box is at the same time box and the cd storing

US package: more for the adult demanding pc gamer collector
EU package: more for the younger careless pc gamer, the pc gamer that
sells and buys in the 2nd hand market or the pc gamer with more space
limitations or simply one that can't keep all the pieces of the package
together

but if i had to choose only one, i would choose the EU packaging and the
reason is that i feel its more prepared for the future, its more prepared
for the hard times pc games face ahead, its smaller, it feels it costs
less, its more durable, its better for the 2nd hand market, so if i had
to stick with only one it would be the EU packaging
in a way it would be making a small quality sacrifice in pc game package
so we could maintain pc games as packaged products
it's better something than nothing at all right?

what is trully the most important thing is pc games being always a packaged
physical product no matter what shape or material its made off

ps: any fellow pc gamer could also give a short description of all the
other pc game packagings available in the rest of the world? like africa
asia, australia and south america?
100 answers Last reply
More about game packagings
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg sayNO2piracy <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    Just a couple of thoughts..

    : so lets begin...
    : . box
    : both have the same front size but the US packaging is bigger sideways,
    : the extra space in the US box is a plus and also the US cardboard is
    : much better for high quality print-out covers, the plus in the EU box
    : is it being more durable cause its made of plastic
    : box winner: US packaging

    This is where I have to disagree. I've been buying games for quite a few
    years now and the amount of space the boxes take on my shelves is getting
    too much for me. So I like smaller, more compact packaging.

    : US package: more for the adult demanding pc gamer collector
    : EU package: more for the younger careless pc gamer, the pc gamer that
    : sells and buys in the 2nd hand market or the pc gamer with more space
    : limitations or simply one that can't keep all the pieces of the package
    : together

    I'd have to say this is actually the other way around. When I was young I
    cherished every game I had and therefore liked the larger packages. As an
    adult I think that games are just games.

    So in my opinion the larger package is for fans, jewelcases for the bigger
    audience.

    Valtteri
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    It's odd how people attach value to game packaging when they wouldn't do the
    same for a film on DVD, unless it was a box set. It's just a box FFS.

    "sayNO2piracy"

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Still doing whatever just to NOT play?
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Valtteri Pirttilä wrote:

    > This is where I have to disagree. I've been buying games for quite a
    > few years now and the amount of space the boxes take on my shelves is
    > getting too much for me. So I like smaller, more compact packaging.

    God, yes. I have several games in that oversized box packaging
    (Thief Gold, Combat Flight Simulator) and they both take
    up too much room and the cardboard boxes are starting to look
    rather tatty. DVD-style cases are much better.

    P.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:22:11 -0000, "Paul Moloney"
    <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >God, yes. I have several games in that oversized box packaging
    >(Thief Gold, Combat Flight Simulator) and they both take
    >up too much room and the cardboard boxes are starting to look
    >rather tatty. DVD-style cases are much better.
    >
    >P.

    In days of yore they put nice thick manuals in with your game so the
    DVD cases would not have been viable. But now they just give us glossy
    pamphlets with unreadable 6 point type so I'm all for the DVD cases
    now.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:14:53 +0000, sayNO2piracy
    <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >US vs EU pc game packagings
    >
    >for some time i wanted to make this post, to deal with the differences
    >between the states and europe have in pc game packaging
    >don't know why pc games have different packagings in the US and in EU
    >probably cause manufacturing costs of cardboard are lower in the states

    That or the fact that there is a completely different body of law
    affecting packaging.

    >so lets begin...
    >. box
    >both have the same front size but the US packaging is bigger sideways,
    >the extra space in the US box is a plus and also the US cardboard is
    >much better for high quality print-out covers, the plus in the EU box
    >is it being more durable cause its made of plastic

    It's a winner for those who like to sit and spend hours looking at
    the pretty box. I'd rather spend hours sitting and playing a high
    quality title, but you're entitled to have your fun however you can.

    >box winner: US packaging
    >manual winner: tie
    >cd storing winner: tie

    >overall winner: tie

    So one US win and 2 ties results in a overall tie. Perhaps you
    should look up the defintiion of "winner".

    >what is trully the most important thing is pc games being always a packaged
    >physical product no matter what shape or material its made off

    What is truly the most important thing is that the pc game runs well
    on any system which meets the specs and the gameplay is what was
    advertised.

    For those who don't ever play pc games but spend hours looking at
    the packaging will have different standards and they will obviously be
    biased against the direct download option that insures maximum reward
    for the hard working developers who actually make the games rather
    than a retailer that those developers don't even know.

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:14:53 +0000, sayNO2piracy
    > <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>US vs EU pc game packagings
    >>
    >>so lets begin...
    >>. box
    >>both have the same front size but the US packaging is bigger sideways,
    >>the extra space in the US box is a plus and also the US cardboard is
    >>much better for high quality print-out covers, the plus in the EU box
    >>is it being more durable cause its made of plastic
    >
    > It's a winner for those who like to sit and spend hours looking at
    > the pretty box. I'd rather spend hours sitting and playing a high
    > quality title, but you're entitled to have your fun however you can.

    I think the main (and only) advantage of a box is that it can contain
    a bigger manual. In the past, games often had very nice booklets as
    manuals, but you can't do that with the modern DVD-case packaging.

    Other than that, I tend to prefer the DVD-case packaging, because it takes
    up a lot less space on my shelf (although I installed three extra shelves
    above my computer yesterday).

    mcv.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:14:53 +0000, sayNO2piracy
    <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >US vs EU pc game packagings
    >
    >for some time i wanted to make this post, to deal with the differences
    >between the states and europe have in pc game packaging
    >don't know why pc games have different packagings in the US and in EU
    >probably cause manufacturing costs of cardboard are lower in the states
    >or the need to defend the jewel case industry but the reasons are not
    >what made me write but instead analyze both and decide what is best in
    >the point of view of the pc gamer
    >
    >first lets do a brief description of both packagings
    >
    >- US pc game packaging
    >small cardboard box with inside manual, quick reference card and jewel
    >case for storing the game cds
    >
    >- EU pc game packaging
    >small plastic box, the ones used in dvd movies with inside manual, quick
    >reference card and cd stores in the box itself
    >
    >so lets begin...
    >. box
    >both have the same front size but the US packaging is bigger sideways,
    >the extra space in the US box is a plus

    How is wasted space a plus?

    "Valtteri Pirttilä" <vallu@nowhere.fi> wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg sayNO2piracy <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just a couple of thoughts..

    And the relevance for this group?

    plonk for crossposting!

    "OnePunchMickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It's odd how people attach value to game packaging when they wouldn't do
    > the
    > same for a film on DVD, unless it was a box set. It's just a box FFS.

    And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?

    Killfiled due to crossposting!
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Valtteri Pirttilä wrote:
    >
    >> This is where I have to disagree. I've been buying games for quite a
    >> few years now and the amount of space the boxes take on my shelves is
    >> getting too much for me. So I like smaller, more compact packaging.
    >
    > God, yes. I have several games in that oversized box packaging
    > (Thief Gold, Combat Flight Simulator) and they both take
    > up too much room and the cardboard boxes are starting to look
    > rather tatty. DVD-style cases are much better.

    And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?

    Killfiled due to crossposting
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:22:11 -0000, "Paul Moloney"
    > <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>God, yes. I have several games in that oversized box packaging
    >>(Thief Gold, Combat Flight Simulator) and they both take
    >>up too much room and the cardboard boxes are starting to look
    >>rather tatty. DVD-style cases are much better.
    >>
    >>P.
    >>

    > In days of yore they put nice thick manuals in with your game so the
    > DVD cases would not have been viable. But now they just give us glossy
    > pamphlets with unreadable 6 point type so I'm all for the DVD cases
    > now.

    And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?

    Killfiled due to crossposting
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:50:17 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

    >And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?
    >
    >Killfiled due to crossposting

    I just followed up the op. It's relevant to any gamer dumbass.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Johnny Bravo" <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:14:53 +0000, sayNO2piracy
    > <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>US vs EU pc game packagings
    >>
    >>for some time i wanted to make this post, to deal with the differences
    >>between the states and europe have in pc game packaging
    >>don't know why pc games have different packagings in the US and in EU
    >>probably cause manufacturing costs of cardboard are lower in the states
    >
    > That or the fact that there is a completely different body of law
    > affecting packaging.
    >
    >>so lets begin...
    >>. box
    >>both have the same front size but the US packaging is bigger sideways,
    >>the extra space in the US box is a plus and also the US cardboard is
    >>much better for high quality print-out covers, the plus in the EU box
    >>is it being more durable cause its made of plastic
    >
    > It's a winner for those who like to sit and spend hours looking at
    > the pretty box. I'd rather spend hours sitting and playing a high
    > quality title, but you're entitled to have your fun however you can.
    >
    >>box winner: US packaging
    >>manual winner: tie
    >>cd storing winner: tie
    >
    >>overall winner: tie
    >
    > So one US win and 2 ties results in a overall tie. Perhaps you
    > should look up the defintiion of "winner".
    >
    >>what is trully the most important thing is pc games being always a
    >>packaged
    >>physical product no matter what shape or material its made off
    >
    > What is truly the most important thing is that the pc game runs well
    > on any system which meets the specs and the gameplay is what was
    > advertised.
    >
    > For those who don't ever play pc games but spend hours looking at
    > the packaging will have different standards and they will obviously be
    > biased against the direct download option that insures maximum reward
    > for the hard working developers who actually make the games rather
    > than a retailer that those developers don't even know.

    And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?

    Killfiled due to crossposting
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "mcv" <mcvmcv@xs3.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:14:53 +0000, sayNO2piracy
    >> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>US vs EU pc game packagings
    >>>
    >>>so lets begin...
    >>>. box
    >>>both have the same front size but the US packaging is bigger sideways,
    >>>the extra space in the US box is a plus and also the US cardboard is
    >>>much better for high quality print-out covers, the plus in the EU box
    >>>is it being more durable cause its made of plastic
    >>
    >> It's a winner for those who like to sit and spend hours looking at
    >> the pretty box. I'd rather spend hours sitting and playing a high
    >> quality title, but you're entitled to have your fun however you can.
    >
    > I think the main (and only) advantage of a box is that it can contain
    > a bigger manual. In the past, games often had very nice booklets as
    > manuals, but you can't do that with the modern DVD-case packaging.
    >
    > Other than that, I tend to prefer the DVD-case packaging, because it takes
    > up a lot less space on my shelf (although I installed three extra shelves
    > above my computer yesterday).

    And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?

    Killfiled due to crossposting
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Peter Lykkegaard wrote:

    > Killfiled due to crossposting

    Dry your eyes. Half-Life comes in a box last time I looked.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    sayNO2piracy wrote:
    > US vs EU pc game packagings
    >
    > for some time i wanted to make this post, to deal with the differences
    > between the states and europe have in pc game packaging
    > don't know why pc games have different packagings in the US and in EU
    > probably cause manufacturing costs of cardboard are lower in the states
    > or the need to defend the jewel case industry but the reasons are not
    > what made me write but instead analyze both and decide what is best in
    > the point of view of the pc gamer
    >
    > first lets do a brief description of both packagings
    >
    > - US pc game packaging
    > small cardboard box with inside manual, quick reference card and jewel
    > case for storing the game cds

    In the US I'm finding my game CD's often come with
    paper sleeves instead of jewel cases.

    > - EU pc game packaging
    > small plastic box, the ones used in dvd movies with inside manual, quick
    > reference card and cd stores in the box itself
    >
    > so lets begin...
    > . box
    > both have the same front size but the US packaging is bigger sideways,
    > the extra space in the US box is a plus

    Why? They don't exactly make use of it.
    There is an option for a box with a fold-out cover so you
    have more info to look at before you buy, but so many stores
    are starting to put games in individual theft-proof plastic
    cases that you can't open the cover anyway. (They remove
    the plastic case when you go to buy the game).

    > . cd storing
    > we have the good reliable jewel case for the US packaging

    Except when we have the paper sleeves.

    > and plastic
    > dvd style box for the EU packaging, and although they are different i
    > feel they both do the job very well
    > cd storing winner: tie

    But I prefer individual paper sleeves over having 2 or more
    CD's stacked on the same spindle in a DVD case. It's sometimes
    very difficult to remove the CD from that kind of spindle.
    Pushing on the center of the multi-CD spindle has no effect
    because it's a solid mass. I've had CD's that were so tight
    on those spindles that they bent almost in half when I tried
    to pull them out. And I've read where some people had the
    CD break in two when they tried to remove it.
    Terrible packaging.

    > . overall
    > the US packaging has better cover quality and more space, its the one
    > most "pretty" of them both, but the EU packaging is more durable and
    > integrated so basically they both are very good
    > overall winner: tie

    DVD packaging is also better for shipping through the
    mail. Boxes often get squashed in the mail. They show up
    squashed in retail stores too, so this isn't strictly
    a mail order problem.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

    >"Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:22:11 -0000, "Paul Moloney"
    >> <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>God, yes. I have several games in that oversized box packaging
    >>>(Thief Gold, Combat Flight Simulator) and they both take
    >>>up too much room and the cardboard boxes are starting to look
    >>>rather tatty. DVD-style cases are much better.
    >>>
    >>>P.
    >>>

    >> In days of yore they put nice thick manuals in with your game so the
    >> DVD cases would not have been viable. But now they just give us glossy
    >> pamphlets with unreadable 6 point type so I'm all for the DVD cases
    >> now.
    >
    >And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?

    The fact that HL2 HAD one of those flimsy pieces of paper, and no
    manual ?

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:50:01 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

    >"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Valtteri Pirttilä wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is where I have to disagree. I've been buying games for quite a
    >>> few years now and the amount of space the boxes take on my shelves is
    >>> getting too much for me. So I like smaller, more compact packaging.
    >>
    >> God, yes. I have several games in that oversized box packaging
    >> (Thief Gold, Combat Flight Simulator) and they both take
    >> up too much room and the cardboard boxes are starting to look
    >> rather tatty. DVD-style cases are much better.
    >>

    >And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?

    It's a game ? And it came in a box ? Or maybe a DVD case ?

    CounterStrikeJunkie wrote:

    > The funny part is the topic is relevant to HalfLife.
    >
    > So, perhaps you are blaming the right person, its just that your reason is
    > wrong.
    >
    > BTW, why did you feel the need to post the Killfile addition, why not just
    > killfile them and say nothing.
    >
    > Starved for attention are you.

    My HL2 came in a van. I'm not going to start a thread on the
    adavantages of a Mercedes Sprinter against a Ford transit. Who gives a
    toss about a box?

    Why announce killfiles? Perhaps he thought a point should be made?
    Folk who wish to have verbal diorhea about the relative merits of the
    types of f'ing boxes you get in different parts of the world might be
    better visitng

    http://www.blogwise.com/search?q=obsessive%20compulsive

    and writing this stuff in a rambling blog where it might be read by
    someone that would appreciate it.

    --
    I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
    'done it'...

    "Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:50:17 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    > <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message

    >>> In days of yore they put nice thick manuals in with your game so the
    >>> DVD cases would not have been viable. But now they just give us glossy
    >>> pamphlets with unreadable 6 point type so I'm all for the DVD cases
    >>> now.
    >>
    >>And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?
    >>
    > The fact that HL2 HAD one of those flimsy pieces of paper, and no
    > manual ?
    >
    > --

    And the retail version comes in a DVD case
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?
    >
    > Killfiled due to crossposting

    And this is more relevant to alt.games.half-life how?

    You also crossposted, will you now place yourself in your killfile?

    Oh and non-steam versions of Half-Life come in packaging, the discussion is
    game packaging and Half-Life is a game.

    "Mark Morrison" wrote

    > The fact that HL2 HAD one of those flimsy pieces of paper, and no
    > manual ?

    When did you last RTFM?

    - Peter

    "Mark Morrison" wrote

    > It's a game ?

    Check

    > And it came in a box ?

    Nope

    > Or maybe a DVD case ?

    Nope

    And the relevance is?

    - Peter
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    sayNO2piracy wrote:

    > first lets do a brief description of both packagings
    >
    > - US pc game packaging
    > small cardboard box with inside manual, quick reference card and jewel
    > case for storing the game cds
    >
    > - EU pc game packaging
    > small plastic box, the ones used in dvd movies with inside manual, quick
    > reference card and cd stores in the box itself

    What I need is velcro covered packaging to prevent CD avalanches when
    I'm digging something out.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Les Steel" wrote

    > Oh and non-steam versions of Half-Life come in packaging, the discussion
    > is game packaging and Half-Life is a game.
    Yeah yeah, and it is also very obvious to discuss HL2 in groups related to
    religion

    Killfiled for no reason at all

    - Peter
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Peter Lykkegaard wrote:

    >And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?

    And the relevance of your own postings in this thread, for any of the
    groups you posted to, is?

    >Killfiled due to crossposting

    - said the crossposter.

    By the way, if you want to play netcop you should _at least_ learn to
    quote correctly.

    --
    Riktig sitering gjør meldingene dine lettere å lese:
    < url: http://home.online.no/~vidaandr/news/OBSquoting.html >

    "Johan Poppe" wrote

    > By the way, if you want to play netcop you should _at least_ learn to
    > quote correctly.

    Who's playing?

    - Peter
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 10 Mar 2005 15:47:20 GMT, mcv <mcvmcv@xs3.xs4all.nl> wrote:

    >In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:14:53 +0000, sayNO2piracy
    >> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>US vs EU pc game packagings
    >>>
    >>>so lets begin...
    >>>. box
    >>>both have the same front size but the US packaging is bigger sideways,
    >>>the extra space in the US box is a plus and also the US cardboard is
    >>>much better for high quality print-out covers, the plus in the EU box
    >>>is it being more durable cause its made of plastic
    >>
    >> It's a winner for those who like to sit and spend hours looking at
    >> the pretty box. I'd rather spend hours sitting and playing a high
    >> quality title, but you're entitled to have your fun however you can.
    >
    >I think the main (and only) advantage of a box is that it can contain
    >a bigger manual. In the past, games often had very nice booklets as
    >manuals, but you can't do that with the modern DVD-case packaging.

    Matrix games has an online doc center at Kinkos where you can order
    several different versions of the manuals (either for pickup or
    delivery) for some of their newer games. Versions from 8 1/2 by 11
    black and white punched for a 3 ring binder to a coil bound version
    that stays flat when open with a color plastic cover ranging in price
    from $2.50 to about $7.50.

    The freedom to choose how much, or how little, manual you are going
    to buy is a good thing for consumers. A developer can skip the extra
    expence of a printed manual, allowing the individual consumer to
    decide if he's going to pay for one or not. Most of my games I'm
    lucky if I read the manual all the way through once, it was a
    refreshing change to see that I didn't have to buy yet one more thing
    I was never going to use. On the other hand, for a game with a large
    manual, the consumer also has the option to get a high quality version
    if they want one without the game company having to worry about
    printing and shipping larger than usual packaging just to accomidate
    the extra paper.

    >Other than that, I tend to prefer the DVD-case packaging, because it takes
    >up a lot less space on my shelf (although I installed three extra shelves
    >above my computer yesterday).

    I tend just to keep all my discs stacked on spindles. :)

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:50:37 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

    >And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?
    >
    >Killfiled due to crossposting

    I'm just devastated. My life no longer has any meaning now that
    some random Usenet stranger has killfiled me. My only regret is that
    he'll never be aware how completely he has destroyed my life.

    Or something.

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:55:27 +0000, Cardinal Fang <fang@spam.me>
    wrote:

    >sayNO2piracy wrote:
    >
    >> first lets do a brief description of both packagings
    >>
    >> - US pc game packaging
    >> small cardboard box with inside manual, quick reference card and jewel
    >> case for storing the game cds
    >>
    >> - EU pc game packaging
    >> small plastic box, the ones used in dvd movies with inside manual, quick
    >> reference card and cd stores in the box itself
    >
    >What I need is velcro covered packaging to prevent CD avalanches when
    >I'm digging something out.

    LOL, can't you just buy some of those self adhesive velcro tabs and
    put them on your boxes?

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:43:25 -0800, Connected
    <connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:22:11 -0000, "Paul Moloney"
    ><paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>God, yes. I have several games in that oversized box packaging
    >>(Thief Gold, Combat Flight Simulator) and they both take
    >>up too much room and the cardboard boxes are starting to look
    >>rather tatty. DVD-style cases are much better.
    >>
    >>P.
    >>

    >In days of yore they put nice thick manuals in with your game so the
    >DVD cases would not have been viable. But now they just give us glossy
    >pamphlets with unreadable 6 point type so I'm all for the DVD cases
    >now.

    I fondly remember my 530 page coil bound Falcon 4.0 manual that
    comes in just 3 ounces shy of two pounds, about 825 grams for our
    European friends.

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:55:48 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I fondly remember my 530 page coil bound Falcon 4.0 manual that
    >comes in just 3 ounces shy of two pounds, about 825 grams for our
    >European friends.

    I've got the binder version and the coil bound version. :-)
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

    >"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Valtteri Pirttilä wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is where I have to disagree. I've been buying games for quite a
    >>> few years now and the amount of space the boxes take on my shelves is
    >>> getting too much for me. So I like smaller, more compact packaging.
    >>
    >> God, yes. I have several games in that oversized box packaging
    >> (Thief Gold, Combat Flight Simulator) and they both take
    >> up too much room and the cardboard boxes are starting to look
    >> rather tatty. DVD-style cases are much better.
    >>

    >And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?
    >
    >Killfiled due to crossposting

    Killfiled due to posting the same message half a dozen times in one
    thread. :)

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    *fixed*
    "Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Les Steel" wrote
    >>>
    >>> And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?
    >>>
    >>> Killfiled due to crossposting
    >>
    >>And this is more relevant to alt.games.half-life how?
    >>
    >>You also crossposted, will you now place yourself in your killfile?
    >>
    >> Oh and non-steam versions of Half-Life come in packaging, the discussion
    >> is game packaging and Half-Life is a game.
    > Yeah yeah, and it is also very obvious to discuss HL2 in groups related to
    > religion
    >
    > Killfiled for no reason at all
    >
    > - Peter

    He could have at least fully quoted me, the buffoon. I assume
    alt.games.half-life is a religious discussion group (perhaps to some saddos
    maybe)?
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:44:13 -0000, "Les Steel" <a@aolnot.com> wrote:

    >"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:50:17 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    >> <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message

    >>>And the relevance for alt.games.half-life is?
    >>>
    >> The fact that HL2 HAD one of those flimsy pieces of paper, and no
    >> manual ?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >And the retail version comes in a DVD case

    Those bastards !

    I'm having trouble with my HL2 - I recently tried to reinstall it, as
    I now have a better cp/gfx card, but get an error message when
    extracing a file. I can actually copy the DVD to the hard drive, but
    get the same error when installing.

    Nothing to do with the original post, but it just popped into my
    head...

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:48:02 -0800, Connected
    <connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:55:48 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    ><baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >> I fondly remember my 530 page coil bound Falcon 4.0 manual that
    >>comes in just 3 ounces shy of two pounds, about 825 grams for our
    >>European friends.
    >
    >I've got the binder version and the coil bound version. :-)

    That's a serious flight simmer there. :)

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:25:47 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > That's a serious flight simmer there. :)

    Was. Not much to get serious about these days though. LOMAC doesn't do
    it for me.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:05:58 -0800, Connected
    <connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:25:47 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    ><baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >> That's a serious flight simmer there. :)
    >
    >Was. Not much to get serious about these days though. LOMAC doesn't do
    >it for me.

    I know what you mean, but between the FreeFalcon 3 or Super Pack 4
    enchancements for Falcon 4.0, it's not quite dead yet. With so much
    added, including high-res textures, they might as well be calling it
    Falcon 5.0. :)

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

    "Mark Morrison" wrote

    > Those bastards !
    >
    > I'm having trouble with my HL2 - I recently tried to reinstall it, as
    > I now have a better cp/gfx card, but get an error message when
    > extracing a file. I can actually copy the DVD to the hard drive, but
    > get the same error when installing.

    Did you try to install everything or just HL2?

    If you have a steam account and on broadband
    You can just get the steam client and login with your current account
    Steam keeps track of which games you can access etc
    Gamefiles can be downloaded from the steam server

    - Peter
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2piracy wrote:
> [...]
    > the reason is that i feel its more prepared for the future, its more
    > prepared for the hard times pc games face ahead, its smaller, it
    > feels it costs less, its more durable, its better for the 2nd hand
    > market, so if i had
    > to stick with only one it would be the EU packaging
    > in a way it would be making a small quality sacrifice in pc game
    > package so we could maintain pc games as packaged products
    > it's better something than nothing at all right?
    >
    > what is trully the most important thing is pc games being always a
    > packaged physical product no matter what shape or material its made
    > off
    >
    > ps: any fellow pc gamer could also give a short description of all the
    > other pc game packagings available in the rest of the world? like
    > africa asia, australia and south america?

    You really can't resist a dig a Valve I would from now on, I would only buy
    through steam if it was possible, but its not, so I'll just have to find
    someone to start a campaign to get all developers to use steam or steam
    style systems albeit edited to make it slightly better. I also bought a game
    only released last week in the second hand shelf, oohh i must be evil, have
    fun on your sad little crusade you complete twat.
    --

    You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:43:27 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I know what you mean, but between the FreeFalcon 3 or Super Pack 4
    >enchancements for Falcon 4.0, it's not quite dead yet. With so much
    >added, including high-res textures, they might as well be calling it
    >Falcon 5.0. :)

    Yea, but they've made my binder manual sort of obsolete. :-)
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Valtteri Pirttila wrote:

    although packaging is a very dear subject to me i always give preference
    to steam cause lets face it, steam wants to kill the package, so if it
    wins we will no longer have proper pc games sold
    but now that i've done fighting steam its good being back to positive
    subjects and matters dealing with pc games

    > years now and the amount of space the boxes take on my shelves is getting
    > too much for me. So I like smaller, more compact packaging.

    agree and i wrote about it, the US packaging takes more space so for
    those gamers with space limitations the EU packaging is better

    > I'd have to say this is actually the other way around. When I was young I
    > cherished every game I had and therefore liked the larger packages. As an
    > adult I think that games are just games.

    sorry to read you over the years have lost your interest in collecting
    pc games... probably later you will regain that joy

    > So in my opinion the larger package is for fans, jewelcases for the bigger
    > audience.

    like i wrote, the EU packaging is probably best for the future and new
    challenges awaiting pc games, but i was talking about those dvd type
    cases, and not selling games in jewel cases cause that i don't like

    i didn't even talked about it cause i think its not an option currently
    in pc games, but i'm against pc games being sold only in a jewel case
    cause its too small format and hasn't the right conditions

    for me the only two packagings which have quality to be used in pc games
    are the US cardboard box packaging and the EU dvd plastic case packaging
    jewel case is a mediocre packaging totally not suitable for pc games
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, "Peter Lykkegaard" wrote:

    <snip steam infected garbage>

    you like any other submissive valve servant will not find anything
    relevant outside the steam infected world

    we should put your disgusting kind in some quarantine away from us
    healthy pc gamers
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Mark Morrison wrote:

    > Those bastards !

    yes they are, its totally unqualified what they do
    its in the realms of the insane

    what i don't understand is how can they do it and run away with it

    obviously the damage is done and you bought hl2, so the only thing
    you can do is spread the word of the damage and wrong doing valve
    and steam and hl2 represents so others will not suffer like you
    did... i was fortunate to not be deceived by them cause i read in
    this group a poster warning way before it was released what valve
    plans were, so i was prepared and i protect myself, and since then
    its what i've being doing... spreading the word about the damage
    steam represents
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, OnePunchMickey wrote:

    again totally wrong... oh mickey when will you manage to say anything
    worthwhile?
    one of the big things of the dvd movie explosion was the collector and
    video collectors seeing the quality of dvd and deciding to re-create
    their personal video collection all over again
    collecting dvd movies is an extremely popular hobby, so try asking any
    dvd collector what does he think about packaging and he will tell you:
    "essential!" try asking dvd collectors if they have more than one copy
    of the same movie and they will tell you: "off course cause they have
    different packagings!"
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Johnny Bravo wrote:

    <snip greedy developers valve alike propaganda>

    if you don't work for valve you really think like them
    think only about your profit and never about your costumer
    putting your own interest always above the costumer interest

    you are a lesson, you are a living example for this group of what
    a developers should not be, so please stay with us so i can point
    at you always when wanting proof of greedy monopolistic developers
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 10 Mar 2005, mcv wrote:

    you talk like a true pc gamer... i hope you haven't accepted steam
    and btw a box has much better cover print quality over the dvd case
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, mrlg wrote:

    > In the US I'm finding my game CD's often come with
    > paper sleeves instead of jewel cases.

    isn't it cause of pc games coming with 5, 6 or more disks?
    is there a jewel case that can carry that much cds? no there
    isn't so that's why they come in paper sleeves which i agree
    is poor packaging

    when pc games need 5 or 6 or more cds i think its time to move
    on to the dvd format

    > Why? They don't exactly make use of it.

    like i told david its a plus having the possibility regardless
    if they use it or not

    > There is an option for a box with a fold-out cover so you
    > have more info to look at before you buy, but so many stores

    that fold-out cover is a brilliant idea! another plus for the
    us packaging!

    > are starting to put games in individual theft-proof plastic
    > cases that you can't open the cover anyway. (They remove

    i like the theft-proof plastic cases, and you know why?
    this way you are sure the pc game you are buying has the less
    possible finger prints and other dirty remains in the cover
    due to many handling
    i'm all for those theft-proof plastic cases! so only you the
    pc gamer which will buy the pc game will have direct contact
    with it

    > But I prefer individual paper sleeves over having 2 or more
    > CD's stacked on the same spindle in a DVD case. It's sometimes

    excellent point, and yes i agree with you, the stacked design
    is not the best for storing more than one disk in a dvd case
    but fortunately i know the dvd case has for example in the 2
    disk storage at least five different designs so you don't
    always end up with the stacked solution
    the dvd case for 2 disks that i know of are:
    .. stacked solution you talk about
    .. one disk in the right side and another disk on the left side
    .. two disks in the right side one on the upper side and one on
    the lower side
    .. one disk on the right side and an extra "partition" in the
    middle were you can put the second disk
    .. one disk on the right side and the other disk on a separate
    paper or plastic sleeve (this one is the design i least like
    of them all)

    > DVD packaging is also better for shipping through the
    > mail. Boxes often get squashed in the mail. They show up

    another great issue you point about
    definitely you are a pc gamer like myself very aware of packaging
    i'm sure we are in the majority and only a very small minority is
    not sensible to all these issues

    obviously criminal scum thief pirates are not sensitive to any
    kind of packaging... they are only sensitive to steal from others

Games IBM Video Games Product