long filename recovery question

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
May 9, 2004 3:18:49 AM

have had a couple of drives in recently for data extraction and found
myself renaming many files with long filenames [paths] before thay can
be copied to arnother drive or burnt to cd....[filenames not
conforming with joliet standards]

is there an easy way to accomplish file transfer with out manually
renaming the filenames exceeding 255 character limit?

why does MS OS allow us to use long filenames and then not allow
copying to other volumes??
thanks
relloman
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 9, 2004 3:18:50 AM

In article <409e69d5.1483002@news-server>, rello <relloman@beasty.com> wrote:
>have had a couple of drives in recently for data extraction and found
>myself renaming many files with long filenames [paths] before thay can
>be copied to arnother drive or burnt to cd....[filenames not
>conforming with joliet standards]
>
>is there an easy way to accomplish file transfer with out manually
>renaming the filenames exceeding 255 character limit?
>
>why does MS OS allow us to use long filenames and then not allow
>copying to other volumes??
>thanks
>relloman

Unless you're still using w/98 you should be using NTFS. Long
file names aren;t an ugly hack in a decent file system.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Long filenames have been part of Windows (FAT&NTFS) for 10 years now.

If you don't get long names on CD-R then you are doing something wrong. I
don't use Joliet, I use the superior UDF.

"rello" <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
> have had a couple of drives in recently for data extraction and found
> myself renaming many files with long filenames [paths] before thay can
> be copied to arnother drive or burnt to cd....[filenames not
> conforming with joliet standards]
>
> is there an easy way to accomplish file transfer with out manually
> renaming the filenames exceeding 255 character limit?
>
> why does MS OS allow us to use long filenames and then not allow
> copying to other volumes??
> thanks
> relloman
a b G Storage
May 9, 2004 12:59:11 PM

thanks will give it a try

On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:46:56 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
<ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:

>Long filenames have been part of Windows (FAT&NTFS) for 10 years now.
>
>If you don't get long names on CD-R then you are doing something wrong. I
>don't use Joliet, I use the superior UDF.
>
>"rello" <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
>> have had a couple of drives in recently for data extraction and found
>> myself renaming many files with long filenames [paths] before thay can
>> be copied to arnother drive or burnt to cd....[filenames not
>> conforming with joliet standards]
>>
>> is there an easy way to accomplish file transfer with out manually
>> renaming the filenames exceeding 255 character limit?
>>
>> why does MS OS allow us to use long filenames and then not allow
>> copying to other volumes??
>> thanks
>> relloman

relloman
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 10, 2004 4:27:54 AM

In article <409e69d5.1483002@news-server>,
relloman@beasty.com says...
> have had a couple of drives in recently for data extraction and found
> myself renaming many files with long filenames [paths] before thay can
> be copied to arnother drive or burnt to cd....[filenames not
> conforming with joliet standards]
>
> is there an easy way to accomplish file transfer with out manually
> renaming the filenames exceeding 255 character limit?
>
> why does MS OS allow us to use long filenames and then not allow
> copying to other volumes??

The problem is that you're using Joliet to move between
the two systems. Joliet has a very limited length (64?
too lazy to look ATM).

Try either using UDF for the file system on the CD.

Or easier... ZIP or TAR or RAR the files into an archive
file, and put *that* on the CD (and then extract it on
the other side).
!