Only thing I could do?

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm running WIN98SE. I've got that freebie program called Letter Assigner.
With it I was able to assign my Iomega external drive as Z: and my Iomega
zip drive as Y:, and I've made my DVD drive X:. All was fine in "My
Computer". Problem though was with Partition Magoc, whenever I had the
Iomega external HD running it wanted to name it D:, not Z: So that had the
effect of altering the letter sequence for my 1st HD. What I did with
Letter Assigner was make it a removeable drive. The program had to create a
registry entry, but it seems to have done the trick. Now, Partition magic
only thinks there is one fixed drive, so whether or not I have the external
drive connected, the partitions for my 1st HD should always run in sequence
(C, D, E, F,G, etc...) and not change. Reason being Partition Magic tinks
there is only one fixed HD. I don't think there was anything else I could
do.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Richard" <rubbish@email.com> wrote in message
> I'm running WIN98SE. I've got that freebie program called Letter
Assigner.
> With it I was able to assign my Iomega external drive as Z: and my Iomega
> zip drive as Y:, and I've made my DVD drive X:. All was fine in "My
> Computer". Problem though was with Partition Magoc, whenever I had the
> Iomega external HD running it wanted to name it D:, not Z: So that had
the
> effect of altering the letter sequence for my 1st HD. What I did with
> Letter Assigner was make it a removeable drive. The program had to create
> registry entry, but it seems to have done the trick. Now, Partition magic
> only thinks there is one fixed drive, so whether or not I have the
external
> drive connected, the partitions for my 1st HD should always run in
sequence
> (C, D, E, F,G, etc...) and not change. Reason being Partition Magic tinks
> there is only one fixed HD. I don't think there was anything else I could
> do.

Ha, I just seen what I could have done, which amounts to the same thing. I
could have made any drive removeable in Device Manager. Great, never saw
that before. Once you do that, you can actually set or fix the drive letter,
otherwise the letter boxes are greyed-out.