Partition software ??

I've got an 80GB ATA hard drive with four FAT32 partitions.
I want to merge the 4 into 2 partitions.
Its not my main boot drive (on my win XP system).
So what is a good program for doing it ?
4 answers Last reply
More about partition software

    Tod wrote:

    > I've got an 80GB ATA hard drive with four FAT32 partitions.
    > I want to merge the 4 into 2 partitions.
    > Its not my main boot drive (on my win XP system).
    > So what is a good program for doing it ?

    I suggest one NTFS part. instead of N FAT32 parts. NTFS is more
    robust and offers more features than FAT.

    The safest way to convert is to backup all needed files, then
    re-part (w/ or w/o FAT->NTFS conversion), then restore. The risk
    of munging parts w/ Partition Manager (or equiv.) is small, but
    not zero.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've got an 80GB ATA hard drive with four FAT32 partitions.
    > I want to merge the 4 into 2 partitions.
    > Its not my main boot drive (on my win XP system).
    > So what is a good program for doing it ?

    Google: partition manager

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=partition+manager&btnG=Search

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:41:13 GMT, Bob Willard
    <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

    >Tod wrote:
    >
    >> I've got an 80GB ATA hard drive with four FAT32 partitions.
    >> I want to merge the 4 into 2 partitions.
    >> Its not my main boot drive (on my win XP system).
    >> So what is a good program for doing it ?
    >>

    >I suggest one NTFS part. instead of N FAT32 parts. NTFS is more
    >robust and offers more features than FAT.
    >
    >The safest way to convert is to backup all needed files, then
    >re-part (w/ or w/o FAT->NTFS conversion), then restore. The risk
    >of munging parts w/ Partition Manager (or equiv.) is small, but
    >not zero.

    If he does decide to use PM, just don't use the merge partitions function.
    Do it yourself manually. Move as much stuff into the first partition as
    will fit, then shrink the second partition, then expand the first, etc.
    PM's merge function has always been ummm odd.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in news:doXnc.24010$iF6.2446029
    @attbi_s02:

    > I've got an 80GB ATA hard drive with four FAT32 partitions.
    > I want to merge the 4 into 2 partitions.
    > Its not my main boot drive (on my win XP system).
    > So what is a good program for doing it ?

    I'd find another PC or drive to back up to. Once everything is backed up,
    I'd use fdisk to blow away the existing partitions, then make one primary 40
    and one extended / logical 40. Then install / restore. Or I use ghost to
    backup / restore my OS system partition rather than reinstall it.

Storage