MN-700 firmware update

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 3:09:03 PM

I just got an online notification that a critical update was available for my MN-700 Base Station. Fortunately (and uncharacteristically) I read the readme file. It says I have to do the update from a computer that is attached by an ethernet cable.

I have just changed my three computer network so that the desktop that was formerly cable-attached is now wireless. The other two are laptops, so I am all-wireless and wish to remain so for many reasons, not the least of which is that this allows me to position the base station for best reception throughout my home.

Is there any way to apply this patch without reconfiguring my network (twice more)?

I use the following client adapters:
desktop: MN-710 USB 2.0 adapter
laptop1: Dell integrated WLAN 1350 mini-PCI card
laptop2: Dell PCMCIA WLAN 1300 card

More about : 700 firmware update

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 9:24:12 PM

You only need the wired connection for a short time while doing the
upgrade. Then you can go back to being totally wireless. Use one of
the laptops and connect it to the base station with wired Ethernet. Do
the upgrade, then go back to wireless.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Barb, thanks, this good news, but I am still unsure about the process, since I have not gone through it yet, even the "normal" way. Will the update download as an .exe or what? Do I shutdown the other computers when I do the install? Will the base station install not "see" a setup config that is not my "real" network configuration?

Dave Runyan

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> You only need the wired connection for a short time while doing the
> upgrade. Then you can go back to being totally wireless. Use one of
> the laptops and connect it to the base station with wired Ethernet. Do
> the upgrade, then go back to wireless.
>
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:09:03 -0700, "Dave Runyan" <Dave
> Runyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I just got an online notification that a critical update was available for my MN-700 Base Station. Fortunately (and uncharacteristically) I read the readme file. It says I have to do the update from a computer that is attached by an ethernet cable.
> >
> >I have just changed my three computer network so that the desktop that was formerly cable-attached is now wireless. The other two are laptops, so I am all-wireless and wish to remain so for many reasons, not the least of which is that this allows me to position the base station for best reception throughout my home.
> >
> >Is there any way to apply this patch without reconfiguring my network (twice more)?
> >
> >I use the following client adapters:
> >desktop: MN-710 USB 2.0 adapter
> >laptop1: Dell integrated WLAN 1350 mini-PCI card
> >laptop2: Dell PCMCIA WLAN 1300 card
>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 9:24:13 PM

Another question about this, Barb. I'm not sure I understand how to "temporarily" establish an ethernet connection between my laptop and the base station. Other than plugging in the cable, that is... ;-)

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> You only need the wired connection for a short time while doing the
> upgrade. Then you can go back to being totally wireless. Use one of
> the laptops and connect it to the base station with wired Ethernet. Do
> the upgrade, then go back to wireless.
>
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:09:03 -0700, "Dave Runyan" <Dave
> Runyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I just got an online notification that a critical update was available for my MN-700 Base Station. Fortunately (and uncharacteristically) I read the readme file. It says I have to do the update from a computer that is attached by an ethernet cable.
> >
> >I have just changed my three computer network so that the desktop that was formerly cable-attached is now wireless. The other two are laptops, so I am all-wireless and wish to remain so for many reasons, not the least of which is that this allows me to position the base station for best reception throughout my home.
> >
> >Is there any way to apply this patch without reconfiguring my network (twice more)?
> >
> >I use the following client adapters:
> >desktop: MN-710 USB 2.0 adapter
> >laptop1: Dell integrated WLAN 1350 mini-PCI card
> >laptop2: Dell PCMCIA WLAN 1300 card
>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 10:48:56 AM

Yes, you meed to plug the cable into the laptop and into the base
station. I guess I don't understand why it is so difficult to move a
laptop which is a portable machine by definition next to the base
station for the 3 minutes requires to do this update. You should not
have to reconfigure anything, it should "just work".

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:57:02 -0700, "Dave Runyan"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

My concern was not about moving the laptop- my question was if I had to configure a network connection or just plug in the cable. You answered that in your last sentence- thanks.

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> Yes, you meed to plug the cable into the laptop and into the base
> station. I guess I don't understand why it is so difficult to move a
> laptop which is a portable machine by definition next to the base
> station for the 3 minutes requires to do this update. You should not
> have to reconfigure anything, it should "just work".
>
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:57:02 -0700, "Dave Runyan"
> <DaveRunyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Another question about this, Barb. I'm not sure I understand how to
> "temporarily" establish an ethernet connection between my laptop and
> the base station. Other than plugging in the cable, that is... ;-)
> >
> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:
> >
> >> You only need the wired connection for a short time while doing the
> >> upgrade. Then you can go back to being totally wireless. Use one of
> >> the laptops and connect it to the base station with wired Ethernet. Do
> >> the upgrade, then go back to wireless.

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)
> >>

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 12:39:01 PM

Unfortunately, simply connecting the ethernet cable and running the update did not work. I got the message "The MN-700 Base Station cannot be updated wirelessly. Please connect an ethernet cable... etc." It looks like I do have to establish a network connection somehow prior to applying the update.

Should I use the "create new network connection" dialog?

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> Yes, you meed to plug the cable into the laptop and into the base
> station. I guess I don't understand why it is so difficult to move a
> laptop which is a portable machine by definition next to the base
> station for the 3 minutes requires to do this update. You should not
> have to reconfigure anything, it should "just work".
>
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:57:02 -0700, "Dave Runyan"
> <DaveRunyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Another question about this, Barb. I'm not sure I understand how to
> "temporarily" establish an ethernet connection between my laptop and
> the base station. Other than plugging in the cable, that is... ;-)
> >
> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:
> >
> >> You only need the wired connection for a short time while doing the
> >> upgrade. Then you can go back to being totally wireless. Use one of
> >> the laptops and connect it to the base station with wired Ethernet. Do
> >> the upgrade, then go back to wireless.

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)
> >>

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 12:43:01 PM

Connected the laptop and the base station with an ethernet cable. Ran the update wizard. Got the error message "MN-700 cannot be updated wirelessly, please connect an ethernet cable...".

Should I go to the "create new network connection" dialog and try to create a connection? Any specific tips on doing that?

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> Yes, you meed to plug the cable into the laptop and into the base
> station. I guess I don't understand why it is so difficult to move a
> laptop which is a portable machine by definition next to the base
> station for the 3 minutes requires to do this update. You should not
> have to reconfigure anything, it should "just work".
>
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:57:02 -0700, "Dave Runyan"
> <DaveRunyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Another question about this, Barb. I'm not sure I understand how to
> "temporarily" establish an ethernet connection between my laptop and
> the base station. Other than plugging in the cable, that is... ;-)
> >
> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:
> >
> >> You only need the wired connection for a short time while doing the
> >> upgrade. Then you can go back to being totally wireless. Use one of
> >> the laptops and connect it to the base station with wired Ethernet. Do
> >> the upgrade, then go back to wireless.

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)
> >>

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 1:17:02 PM

Pardon the multiple posts - I got an error message when I first posted that the post had not succeeded, but evidently it did.

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> Yes, you meed to plug the cable into the laptop and into the base
> station. I guess I don't understand why it is so difficult to move a
> laptop which is a portable machine by definition next to the base
> station for the 3 minutes requires to do this update. You should not
> have to reconfigure anything, it should "just work".
>
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:57:02 -0700, "Dave Runyan"
> <DaveRunyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Another question about this, Barb. I'm not sure I understand how to
> "temporarily" establish an ethernet connection between my laptop and
> the base station. Other than plugging in the cable, that is... ;-)
> >
> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:
> >
> >> You only need the wired connection for a short time while doing the
> >> upgrade. Then you can go back to being totally wireless. Use one of
> >> the laptops and connect it to the base station with wired Ethernet. Do
> >> the upgrade, then go back to wireless.

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)
> >>

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 7:49:26 PM

You should remove/unplug the wireless card. The to be safe, select Run
from the Start menu, then type in
cmd [enter]
then type in
ipconfig/renew

you should see the wired adapter receive an IP

you should then be able to update the MN700

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:43:01 -0700, "Dave Runyan"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

SUCCESS - thanks for your assistance.