BioWare Reveals SW:TOR Early Game Access Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
So how confident can we be if we redeemed our boxed set CE preorder early the morning of July 21 (the day preorders opened) of making it it into the 1st group getting in on the 15th? Now is when I have to put in for time off those days, and working retail, requesting off the week right before Christmas isn't going to exactly make my manager jump for joy. :/

G

I will never buy another EA game until they change the eula

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ddkstriderr[/nom]I will never buy another EA game until they change the eula[/citation]
There's still people who think steam is too invasive, origin must seem like a cavity search to them (which honestly as far as your HDD is concerned pretty much is). At least steam is op-in as far as sending them data is origin doesn't even ask.

I wonder how many people are going to skip this game because of origin. which is sad because its a good game.

gilcongane

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
I wonder how many people are going to skip this game because of origin. which is sad because its a good game.

This game isn't run or downloaded on origin, all you get if you buy the digital version from origin is an email on release day with your serial key that you input on SWTOR's website and you download the game from there.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]Yargnit[/nom]So how confident can we be if we redeemed our boxed set CE preorder early the morning of July 21 (the day preorders opened) of making it it into the 1st group getting in on the 15th? Now is when I have to put in for time off those days, and working retail, requesting off the week right before Christmas isn't going to exactly make my manager jump for joy.[/citation]

Working retail you'll probably need that week of work to pay for the game. :(

I worked retail for too long, and it never paid enough.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Yargnit[/nom]So how confident can we be if we redeemed our boxed set CE preorder early the morning of July 21 (the day preorders opened) of making it it into the 1st group getting in on the 15th? Now is when I have to put in for time off those days, and working retail, requesting off the week right before Christmas isn't going to exactly make my manager jump for joy.[/citation]

I'd say it's a damn near certainty. Just an educated guess, but since the desire is to stage entry into the game, I think they will basically take the entire pre-order count and divide it by 5. I would further speculate that the number of pre-orders was relatively small until the release date was announced, then it scaled up and will continue scaling up as we approach launch date. So what we would expect to see, then, is day 1 would cover probably several weeks (possibly a couple of months) from July 21st forward; then by the time you get to day 5 (1 day before the official launch date), that will probably be those who pre-ordered only a couple of weeks before.

I know I'm excited for the release. I got my pre-order code in back in August and have already requested my PTO. :)

G

So basically, unless you were a fanatic and pre-ordered instantly, you're bum out of luck. Honestly? I don't care.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Marthisdil[/nom]Y'all enjoy your World of Warcraft with a Star Wars skin. I stopped playing the beta a month and a half ago...[/citation]
Don't be so pretentious; the beta was for a limited time. I'll give it to you that ToR is WoW with a Star Wars skin. However, I see this as a good thing. Plus, they added a lot of stuff WoW didn,t have, like interactive conversations in quests that can influence your light/dark side standing.

I've played the beta for 3 days, and I can say it will be worthwhile. As with many online games, it will be probably plagued with bugs at launch, but give it a couple of months and you'll have a solid online gaming experience. I'll most likely jump in somewhere in january.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I love star wars, but MMO scares the shit out of me. I don't have the courage to play another MMO since I quit WOW 4 years ago. They consume life.

I will probably just watch some game play video on Youtube from time to time. Sounds like an amazing game.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
ugh! I should put this in my Win7 post. tho I dont know if it is tom's or win7 or ie or what. but this posting then being asked to login or post as anonymous (so I login of course) and then losing my post altogether is some real CRAP!

anyways, as I said before I lost another comment to the void...

man am I behind! I pre-ordered a while ago from gamestop but I don't remember even getting a code! I need to check on this. I didn't even know there was a release date finally! Yay!

at the same time tho, why so close to x-mas? ugh! family time & last minutes x-mas shopping are going to get in the way of game time! not to mention I do like to check out x-mas on the other games I play to. bioware wth are you thinking? decisions, decisions...

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Not looking forward to dealing with Origin on this one, but I'm going to give it a try. Sounds like a lot of fun to me - I like WoW and have been a Star Wars fan for almost my entire life...

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I quit WoW and sold my highly epic lock for $700... YEARS ago... But I'm still gong to give this a try. I pre-ordered opening day... Still, I'm NOT going to be the time-sink I used to. I'm keeping myself more scheduled and limiting my own time. Supposedly this one doesn't require nearly the time-sink to progress as other MMOs or I'll have just wasted the $. I have a life again now, not 80+ hours of game time plus 80+ work hours a week... If it's good for casual gaming, I'll stick around, but if not... then I won't. The beta seemed to go both ways depending so... I won't know for sure until release...

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]I quit WoW and sold my highly epic lock for $700... YEARS ago... But I'm still gong to give this a try. I pre-ordered opening day... Still, I'm NOT going to be the time-sink I used to. I'm keeping myself more scheduled and limiting my own time. Supposedly this one doesn't require nearly the time-sink to progress as other MMOs or I'll have just wasted the $. I have a life again now, not 80+ hours of game time plus 80+ work hours a week... If it's good for casual gaming, I'll stick around, but if not... then I won't. The beta seemed to go both ways depending so... I won't know for sure until release...[/citation]

If you've played WOW, then I am sure you know there is no such thing as "moderation" in MMORPGs. You are either in or not.

That's why I am not even going to touch this game. MMORPGs are truly scary.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If there was ever an MMORPG that was going to get me to take the plunge (and more than likely ruin my life) its this game. I'll wait till its out for a couple of months before deciding. I've personally known many people that had their lives at least partially ruined by WoW (some of them really badly), but I love SW and the KOTOR series. I'm still pretty afraid, the only MMORPG I've played was the WoW beta and it sure tanked my grades at the time (university).

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]jl0329[/nom]If you've played WOW, then I am sure you know there is no such thing as "moderation" in MMORPGs. You are either in or not.That's why I am not even going to touch this game. MMORPGs are truly scary.[/citation]

Ehh; not necessarily true... Even WoW can be played in moderation (especially now that kids can 'buy' items instead of earning them... or so I'm told). When I was in it hard-core, ya, I spent WAY too much time... And I was the 2nd most powerful lock on the server at the time... But if you 'have' to be that person, then, like I used to, you have absolutely no life... After I got out, some of my friends started getting out also... Some had kids, others just didn't have the time anymore, etc. But one, with kids and the whole she-bang, kept playing, only in moderation. You're not going to be in a huge raiding guild per-say... But then again, all of the games out there reduced their 'raid' count... And most areas can be Pugged anymore so... Why bother. Jump on, pick up a group and go to it. Or join the more popular, ever-growing casual guilds and you can even still get some good raiding in now and again... (Just not every stinking night, over and over and over... )

But if you're (just generally speaking) a person who can't cut back on your own, then that's a mental problem you have to deal with. Even an addiction... I've played MMORPGs since day one... Played basically them all to some extent... From the ever-popular original EQ and UO, through even trying the betas for most of the garbage titles... Through WoW and... yup, I even had a SW Galaxies account for a short while (as much as I wanted that to work... it was utter crap. Wasn't TOO bad out of the gate but they 'updated' it to pure garbage).

So I've been there and got the T-shirt... Playing in moderation, even on games that don't natively support those types of ideas in some form, is entirely possible. IF you have the capability to control yourself... Will you be the #2 whatever on the server, not very likely... Do I ever want to be that person again? @#$% no... All that work, then they add an update and green stuff drops that's better then epic gear I fought months for... They can bite me on that type of dedication ever again. Plus they just keep getting easier and easier and easier... Never again will be the TRUE quests of old (Think EPIC EQ items... Did the mage quest for a friend and the wizard for myself... (mage epic was THE most complicated in the game) Talking YEARS spent on just that alone along with coordinating with multiple guilds for zone-wide takedown quests... THOSE were... Epic... WoW is saturday-night-cartoons at best in comparison to those types of quests... Granted, camping the freaking (insert most hated spawn camps here) sucks and doing away with that is a good move... but bring back the complicated quests somehow... Not random drops but... How about random puzzles and actually having to read and comprehend stories and such without a dang arrow pointing you to the next person to spam through the conversations...)

Sorry, I ranted... Forgive me... You can play MMOs in moderation... And they can be very fun as such. You won't be the show-off on the server but who cares... You want to be talked about, or just have fun?!?

For those 'afraid' of MMORPGs, I just have this to say:
If you have self-control not to play every waking moment, and enjoy a deep story, nearly endless plotlines, meeting new people (or role-playing people if you're a true RPG'er), Give it a try... You might think the pay-to-play item sucks but, they also have moderators who STRICTLY enforce no-cheating policies... Cheat and your account is banned... In some cases, your REAL name/credit card/email/etc. is banned from ever playing one of their MMO's again... That's what I consider the payments for. But still, you can try almost all of these games for a short period (or to a low level cap) free... Give it a try. No AI out there compares to a real-person on the other end...

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Well, I took the 15th through the 19th off, so the plan is to binge like hell early-access weekend, then go back to work and skip the even more craziness that is live launch day.

My last MMO launch (Rift) I went 60 hours straight from server up on early access opening, and was level capped the day of live release... So that's my goal to beat.

I know this sounds insane to most people, but I love those crazy long release day/expansion day leveling fests. :) Once you get out ahead of 99% of the population, grouping up with the others in your 1% for 12+ hour questing parties with the same exact people the entire time is awesome. I've literally spent 24 hours straight duoing with the same (complete stranger beforehand) from zone to zone, working our way up the quest chain. It's a blast. :D And at the end when you're both falling asleep at the keyboard it's a great way to keep awake. :p

Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.