Multiple Monitor won't keep setting

I am trying to set up my system with multiple monitors, I have them both hooked up and working, however both monitors are showing the same thing, the second monitor is a clone of the first. I want to extend my desktop over both monitors. I go into the display properties settings and check to extend my windows desktop onto the second monitor and click apply but it dosen't change anything, both screens go black for a second and when they come back on the check mark is no longer in the extend box. I have gone thru all the settings I can think of but can not figure out why it will not hold these settings. I am using a radeon 9200SE video card with a VGA and DVI-I input, I have a CRT into the VGA and a Flat Panel with a VGA to DVI-I adapter into the DVI connector. Could someone please assist me with this problem.
Thanks

Ken Jones

I'd like to offer one troubleshooting step. I had a similar problem and
resolved it by changing the primary video card setting in the BIOS to AGP
(the default was VGA.)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:46:02 -0700, Ken Jones <kenneth.jones@cox.net>
wrote:

>I am trying to set up my system with multiple monitors, I have them both hooked up and working, however both monitors are showing the same thing, the second monitor is a clone of the first. I want to extend my desktop over both monitors. I go into the display properties settings and check to extend my windows desktop onto the second monitor and click apply but it dosen't change anything, both screens go black for a second and when they come back on the check mark is no longer in the extend box. I have gone thru all the settings I can think of but can not figure out why it will not hold these settings. I am using a radeon 9200SE video card with a VGA and DVI-I input, I have a CRT into the VGA and a Flat Panel with a VGA to DVI-I adapter into the DVI connector. Could someone please assist me with this problem.
>Thanks
>
>Ken Jones

Hi Ken:

I don't know why your system doesn't set up as you want it. I have the
same types of components and it works for me.

ATI Radeon 9800XT (Catalyst 4.4/DirectX 9.0b)
Primary Monitor: [DVI] Samsung SynchMaster 213T TFT
1600x1200 (native) 32bit 60Hz
Display Properties >Settings >#1 (Primary Display) selected
[checked] Use this device as the primary monitor
[checked] Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor

SecondaryMonitor: [VGA] ViewSonic P225f ag CRT
1600x1200 32bit 85Hz
Display Properties >Settings >#2 (Secondary Display) selected
[unchecked] Use this device as the primary monitor
[checked] Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor

I don't accept the MS generic PnP Monitors after an ATI driver update.
I make sure I have the latest drivers (well, ICMs) for my two monitors
installed then do this:

... in Display Properties >Settings >select Monitor #1 >Advanced
>Monitor >if monitor unnamed >Properties >Driver >Update Driver
>select Install from a list or specific location [Advanced] >Next
>select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install. >Next
>uncheck Show compatible hardware >select monitor's mfr from Mfr list
and monitor model from Model list > NEXT >ignore warning and install
anyway and Apply/OK your way out.

Ditto for my Secondary (#2) monitor.

Both monitors should then be listed by name in Display Properties and
Device Manager.

Although they don't have to be, both my monitors are at the same
resolution. Try that.

I use the digtal port on my LCD not the analog one.

I use the D-Sub port on my CRT not the BNC connector.

This is what I do and it works.
Hope someting in the above helps you.

Please remove the X from my address to e-mail me.