Comments on Castlewood's New 5.7Gb Orb drive?

Last response: in Storage
Share
May 14, 2004 5:49:25 AM

Has anyone used the new Castlewood 5.7Gb ORB removable drive? Their old
removable drive was problematic. As I recall, the older removable drive had
a cheap feel to it. The new cartridges seem to be costly (compared to
Iomega's). It doesn't seem like very many vendors are carrying the new
drive. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has acquired this new
removable drive from Castlewood.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 14, 2004 5:52:57 PM

> Has anyone used the new Castlewood 5.7Gb ORB removable drive? Their old
> removable drive was problematic. As I recall, the older removable drive had
> a cheap feel to it. The new cartridges seem to be costly (compared to
> Iomega's). It doesn't seem like very many vendors are carrying the new
> drive. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has acquired this new
> removable drive from Castlewood.

Get a 20 GB USB external drive. There are USB powered drives that
are less than a pound and fit in your pocket for less than $200:
http://www.buslink.com/index.cgi?view_product=yes&produ...

Lynn
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 14, 2004 8:45:44 PM

Not worth considering with DVD now so cheap.

Mark <news1@IntelligentSoftwareSystems.com> wrote in
message news:10a8nf9guo9mi76@corp.supernews.com...

> Has anyone used the new Castlewood 5.7Gb ORB removable drive?
> Their old removable drive was problematic. As I recall, the older
> removable drive had a cheap feel to it. The new cartridges seem
> to be costly (compared to Iomega's). It doesn't seem like very many
> vendors are carrying the new drive. I would appreciate hearing from
> anyone that has acquired this new removable drive from Castlewood.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 15, 2004 4:09:19 AM

In article <40a513eb$0$17091
$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com>,
NOSPAM.winsim@NOSPAM.winsim.com says...
> > Has anyone used the new Castlewood 5.7Gb ORB removable drive? Their old
> > removable drive was problematic. As I recall, the older removable drive had
> > a cheap feel to it. The new cartridges seem to be costly (compared to
> > Iomega's). It doesn't seem like very many vendors are carrying the new
> > drive. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has acquired this new
> > removable drive from Castlewood.
>
> Get a 20 GB USB external drive. There are USB powered drives that
> are less than a pound and fit in your pocket for less than $200:
> http://www.buslink.com/index.cgi?view_product=yes&produ...
>
> Lynn

Agreed, USB/firewire drives are cheaper, not
proprietary, fast, fairly sturdy.

If it was a 57GB removable MO drive, it might be worth
it, but at the 5.7GB size, it's cheaper to burn a DVD-R
or use the external USB/firewire drives if you need
read/write.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 15, 2004 1:40:54 PM

"Mark" <news1@IntelligentSoftwareSystems.com> wrote:

>Has anyone used the new Castlewood 5.7Gb ORB removable drive? Their old
>removable drive was problematic. As I recall, the older removable drive had
>a cheap feel to it. The new cartridges seem to be costly (compared to
>Iomega's). It doesn't seem like very many vendors are carrying the new
>drive. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has acquired this new
>removable drive from Castlewood.

New? They've been available for a couple of years now, so I wouldn't
exactly call them new. The way the storage market has changed between
when the ORB's first came out and now, I am suprised Castlewood is
still in business. As for Iomega's offering, I assume you are talking
about the REV. Anyone remember Jaz? How about the Peerless?
Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
Vancouver, BC
May 16, 2004 8:56:42 PM

Unfortunately, my Abit KG7 bios won't allow me to boot from a USB drive. I
need an IDE/ADAPI removable hard drive. DVD drives are too slow to run an
OS on. I'm trying to learn LINUX and some of the Microsoft server OS's.

"Lynn McGuire" <NOSPAM.winsim@NOSPAM.winsim.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone used the new Castlewood 5.7Gb ORB removable drive? Their old
> > removable drive was problematic. As I recall, the older removable drive
had
> > a cheap feel to it. The new cartridges seem to be costly (compared to
> > Iomega's). It doesn't seem like very many vendors are carrying the new
> > drive. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has acquired this
new
> > removable drive from Castlewood.
>
> Get a 20 GB USB external drive. There are USB powered drives that
> are less than a pound and fit in your pocket for less than $200:

http://www.buslink.com/index.cgi?view_product=yes&produ...

> Lynn

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 16, 2004 8:56:43 PM

What's wrong with the simple solution, a single IDE drive with several
partitions and a boot manager?

Create three primary NTFS partitions for Windows, and put Linux in the
extended.

> Unfortunately, my Abit KG7 bios won't allow me to boot from a USB drive. I
> need an IDE/ADAPI removable hard drive. DVD drives are too slow to run an
> OS on. I'm trying to learn LINUX and some of the Microsoft server OS's.

May 17, 2004 4:26:42 AM

I think there are several problems with that approach:

1) Limited to 4 operating systems (partitions).
2) I probably wouldn't be able to have more than one Microsoft OS on the
same hard drive if they behave like Windows (which expects to be installed
first on the primary partition).
3) A bad install can screw up the boot partition/record and cause your
previously installed OS's to fail to boot.
4) If the hard drive dies, you loose all the installed OS's.
5) If I decide to change the OS on one of the partitions, it would probably
screw up the boot partition/record on that hard drive.

I already tried to create a simple dual boot XP/Linux on my slave drive on
the primary IDE channel. I gave up after several failed attempts. I think
the standard dual-boot installation instructions assume that your trying to
do this on the master hard drive on the primary IDE channel. It doesn't
work for the slave drive. I have a huge investment in my Windows XP
installation on the master hard drive on the primary IDE channel and can't
afford to take the chance of screwing it up by installing other OS's on the
same hard drive and my XP needs all the space that my master hard drive has
on the primary IDE channel.

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote in message
> What's wrong with the simple solution, a single IDE drive with several
> partitions and a boot manager?
>
> Create three primary NTFS partitions for Windows, and put Linux in the
> extended.
>
> "Mark" <news1@IntelligentSoftwareSystems.com> wrote in message
> > Unfortunately, my Abit KG7 bios won't allow me to boot from a USB drive.
> > need an IDE/ADAPI removable hard drive. DVD drives are too slow to run
an
> > OS on. I'm trying to learn LINUX and some of the Microsoft server OS's.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 17, 2004 1:52:50 PM

> I think there are several problems with that approach:
>
> 1) Limited to 4 operating systems (partitions).
Nonsense. Download some boot managers and read the manuals.
> 2) I probably wouldn't be able to have more than one Microsoft OS on the
> same hard drive if they behave like Windows (which expects to be installed
> first on the primary partition).
Nonsense. Read up on boot.ini.
> 3) A bad install can screw up the boot partition/record and cause your
> previously installed OS's to fail to boot.
Always activate the partition you are installing Windows to.
> 4) If the hard drive dies, you loose all the installed OS's.
Pointless. Can happen to your Orb too.
> 5) If I decide to change the OS on one of the partitions, it would probably
> screw up the boot partition/record on that hard drive.
Nonsense. Perhaps NT4 uses an ancient MBR.

> I already tried to create a simple dual boot XP/Linux on my slave drive on
> the primary IDE channel. I gave up after several failed attempts. I think
> the standard dual-boot installation instructions assume that your trying to
> do this on the master hard drive on the primary IDE channel. It doesn't
> work for the slave drive. I have a huge investment in my Windows XP
> installation on the master hard drive on the primary IDE channel and can't
> afford to take the chance of screwing it up by installing other OS's on the
> same hard drive and my XP needs all the space that my master hard drive has
> on the primary IDE channel.

Yes, Linux installers are brain dead. Put Linux on another hard drive then.

Use a real boot manager and you can fix any problems from the intstall floppy.
!